CEL and VSC light on and traction control light flashing

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Wayne 91
Town: Ipswich
Vehicle: Hilux

CEL and VSC light on and traction control light flashing

Post by Wayne 91 »

Hi , was hoping someone could help me with my 2012 petrol hilux auto , just came back from a trip , on the way back CEL and VSC light come on and traction control light flashing , lost power and surges when trying to accelerate on the hiway , idles and starts up fine , at first I thought it was bad fuel , changed fuel filter 3 times , computer reset numerous times , PO 171/174 code ,but still no good , lights remain on and looses power and no acceleration, has anybody had this problem before and what did they do to fix it ???? , car in at mechanics now , any help would be appreciated, thanks wayne
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: CEL and VSC light on and traction control light flashing

Post by Mars »

Those error codes indicate that the engine is running lean. Look for leaking vacuum lines and brake booster or any potential source of a vacuum leak on the intake manifold such as leaking gaskets etc. Also clean the Mass Airflow Sensor. Some manifolds have a valve or an actuator with a shaft running into the manifold which could start leaking around the shaft.

It could also mean that the fuel pressure on the fuel rail is low due to a faulty petrol pump or fuel rail pressure regulator. Probably one of the first things I would do is check the vacuum line running from the manifold to the fuel pressure regulator located on the fuel injector rail.

It could also be due to partially blocked injectors but this is less likely.

How many miles has the vehicle done?
Wayne 91

Post by Wayne 91 »

Thanks very much for the reply , hilux has 180,000 Ks , I have spoken with the mech' today and they too are leaning towards a vacuum leak somewhere I would have imagined that being good mech' they would have checked the fuel pump /pressure , I have cleaned the MAF that many times, have also heard that the screen on fuel pump could be blocked also but , anyways thanks again
Wayne 91

Post by Wayne 91 »

Update ; pulled the passenger side 02 sensor out and gave it a clean , put back in Drivers side I didn't have a pipe spanner to get at it , took car for a drive 200k drive , engine light and VSC light came on again and only had PO 171 code come up but not the PO 174 code , am relieved to have narrowed down the fault that the 02 sensors just needed cleaning / maybe replacing , thanks for the reply
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Good to know thanks

Return to “The Workshop”