1986 Hilux D/C 4x4 4y

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Wwpaul
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1986 SFA 4y d/c

1986 Hilux D/C 4x4 4y

Post by Wwpaul »

Hi guys. Im new at this, but just wondering if someone can give me some advice... Im having intermittent problems when accelerating this vehicle. Idles one hundred percent. Revs up while pumping accelerator while stationary fine. But as soon as i pull away vehicle wants to die. I have replaced: air filters, spark plugs, fuel pump. Any other ideas would be much appreciaTed.
NZ_N57R
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kerikeri New Zealand
Vehicle: YN57R

Re: 1986 Hilux D/C 4x4 4y

Post by NZ_N57R »

Hi Paul, I'm new too

I have a 3Y powered hilux that I'm currently having problems with, but polar opposite to yours. Mine idle's like a bag, dies when coming down from power but runs great on power. Does it pick it's revs up eventually or won't even leave the driveway? Something tells me it's starving for fuel, is your idle a normal 800 rpm?
I used to know everything. Now I know nothing :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It sounds like it's starving. Could be a couple of other things, but before looking at that, the carb must be right. You said you replaced the fuel pump ... I'm assuming that you replaced the fuel filter at the same time?

Have you made sure that the fuel line is not choked? Blow it back to the tank with some compressed air after taking the filler cap off (obviously you don't want to try this with a fairly full tank).

Where is the float level in the sight-glass on the side of the float chamber? Should be as close as dammit in the centre (there is a level indicator"arrow" on the side of the glass in the carb body).

Is the main jet not perhaps a little blocked?

Timing should be no less than 8° advanced BTDC at 800RPM idle. Mine used to be at it's happiest at about 11 / 12° advanced. Check it with a timing light and at the same time check that it advances when revved - could be that the vacuum advance isn't working properly (should go up to as much as between 18 and 22° advanced at 3000 RPM).

Also check that all the vacuum hoses are correctly connected and that they are not perished / leaking. If you need a hose connection diagram, there is one here on the sight, otherwise I can dig one up for you and post it. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
NZ_N57R
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by NZ_N57R »

@mud dog,

I've set my timing on the road, set her to detonate then back a few degrees. When I put the timing light on it she's running about 30 BTDC, surely you'd expect it to detonate if that was the case? I was thinking maybe my harmonic balancer has slipped over the years? I'm going to do some digging for that diagram thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

No wonder it's dying under load ..... 30° BTDC is way too advanced. One will only see this at high revs on some of the higher performance motors, and then also with longer duration cams. Bring it back to 9° advanced and from there get the carb settings right so that it idles smoothly.

If you can't get a smooth idle consider the possibility that a previous owner may have fitted a 'warm' cam to improve the torque in the upper rev range, which is often done to improve open road fuel economy or for sand driving / dune driving. Unfortunately the idle becomes lumpy and the low rev torque is severely compromised with a longer duration cam.

(I posted a vacuum diagram in another post earlier today.)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
NZ_N57R
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by NZ_N57R »

It runs great under load, it's just an idle problem. Doesn't detonate or anything under load, if anything it feels a bit retarded (backfiring down hills) I might try resetting the timing with a light to 9 btdc and seeing how it drives.

Return to “The Workshop”