Petrol smell 4.0L V6

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mylux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 4.0L V6 Vigo 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC249

Petrol smell 4.0L V6

Post by Mylux »

Hi Guys,
Ive recently noticed a very strong petrol smell on my Vigo 4.0L V6. From as far away as 3-4 meters depending on wind direction.
Mostly noticable when the tank is near to full. I have a Frontrunner long range tank fitted.
No noticable fuel leaks so it can only be vapour.

Any ideas what I should look out for to rectify this?

Thanks
Greg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Petrol smell 4.0L V6

Post by Mud Dog »

Fuel evaporates quite quickly, so there might be a slow leak in the upper filler or breather, slow enough that it spreads and evaporates but doesn't dribble on the ground, yet fast enough to leave a strong smell of fuel.

I don't know the Vigo but assume there will be a plastic inner fender liner in the wheel wells. You will probably have to remove this at the filler side rear wheel to expose the filler neck and breather pipe - usually quite easy, just un-clip / unscrew. Look for signs of leakage, sweating or even residue - sometimes the leak area is cleaner than it's surrounds. Do this immediately after filling the tank.

Another possibility is the filler cap itself, that it's not sealing and allowing fuel to escape - or that the breather hole in the cap is blocked. If it's blocked and pressure build up in the tank cannot relieve itself through the cap (the highest point), it might push out elsewhere lower down, forcing out liquid fuel rather than head vapour (remember that fuel also expands and contracts with varying temperatures).

Since your vehicle is fuel injected, this will be happening at the tank itself or in the line up to the HP fuel pump if it has an external pump (most pumps are inside the tank these days). After the pump the system deals with pressurised fuel (3 to 5 bar) and if there was a leak after the pump there would be a fuel smell only when the pump is operating, not just after filling up.

Good luck, hope you find it easily. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mylux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 4.0L V6 Vigo 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC249

Post by Mylux »

Thanks for the advice Mud Dog. I found the problem. It was a leaking fitting where the long range tank connects to the main tank. The cork gasket was vrotImage[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... 251aed.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good that you found it, leaking fuel can be hazardous. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”