1987 Hilux Heater Motor Problems

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
NZ_N57R
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kerikeri New Zealand
Vehicle: YN57R

1987 Hilux Heater Motor Problems

Post by NZ_N57R »

Hello again,

Another day, another problem with the old girl. For once it's inside the cab, not the engine bay (how exciting :frustrated: ).

My heater blower circuit seems to have no power. Nothing at the fuse or switch. The ignition seems to have power (although I don't know which wire is for the heater blower). The dash lights and the digital clock work as they should.

I'm debating whether I should investigate further by pulling the entire dashboard out, or just running 12 volts straight to the blower with a switch and fuse inline direct from the battery :surrender:. Neither of the two above options sound like something I'd like to be doing. :fedup:

Currently leaning towards the Flip it Lets have a Beer option. :beach: :drinks:
I used to know everything. Now I know nothing :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 1987 Hilux Heater Motor Problems

Post by Mud Dog »

I have no first hand experience with this but I do recall a thread of years back that addressed a similar problem. As I recall there was a fault whereby the lower speeds of the controller were not working. Again, IIRC there was a separate fuse under the dash behind the glove box for the fan motor, so it might be worthwhile having a look behind there for that fuse.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
NZ_N57R
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kerikeri New Zealand
Vehicle: YN57R

Post by NZ_N57R »

Found the fuse, but no power to the holder. Seems my whole heater blower circuit has no power, I have no idea where it gets its power from. I don't think it would be a direct draw through the ignition. Perhaps the relay gets its power from the IGN. I have seen the lower speeds issue, and that is a resistor pack failure. But my heater doesn't even work on full. Nearly tore my hair out today over it, haha.
I used to know everything. Now I know nothing :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It should get power already when the key is in the "ACC" position and I don't think it fed directly through the switch - there must be a relay. That could also be behind the dash or in the fuse box under the hood. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”