How To Identify What Cam I Might Have

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

How To Identify What Cam I Might Have

Post by pampoen »

So some of you might have remembered that a while ago I took my bakkie to carb spares and sales in Paarden Island to have the carburetor rebuilt. It never was 100 percent right so I brought it back today to them to take a look at. After a CO test and a test drive it was discovered that the bakkie had a cam in it. The guy I bought the bakkie from didn't say anything either so my question is, not knowing where the cam came from and wanting to set the tappets properly Is there a way for me to measure and check what clearances are required for my tappets?
Thanks in advance..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: How To Identify What Cam I Might Have

Post by The Legend »

Not sure which engine you have in your vehicle .If it is an 4y there no tappets to adjust. It has hydraulic lifters which are self adjusted.

Your questing regarding the cam makes me confused , because all vehicles have cams in.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I assume you have a 22R motor (2.4 petrol). I also seem to think that it's been fairly more common for the guys in the Cape to have fitted longer duration cams to the 4Y and 22R motors so that they can squeeze out a bit more power in the higher rev range to chase dunes at Atlantis.

All fine and well but there is a downside. The idle becomes lumpy and there is significant power loss in the lower rev range. I bought my SFA from the Cape with such a cam in and have lived with it till now recently when we put a standard cam back in. Obstacles that I had to do in 1st gear (L4) I can now do in 2nd gear (L4) and it idles up hills. The difference is like chalk and cheese.

The duration values of the cam should be stamped or engraved into the rear end face on the cam - very awkward to read without removing the cam, one has to use a mirror and also get some lighting in there. If there is nothing engraved / stamped into it, then it's likely to be standard.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

My apologies, It is a 22r. Thanks Mud Dog, just the info I needed. Yes the lower end doesn't feel like the old 4y I used to drive. It hits its power peak at about 3500 RPM. Mud Dog, did your cam have a slight miss while idling?
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yep, mine was the same, lazy up to 120kmph but there after it takes off and you're sitting at 160 before you realize it. A short jab of the pedal and the motor revs to over 6000rpm. But here's the thing, it's not supposed to be a performance track vehicle.

The only thing I'm going to miss with the std cam back in, is overtaking capability on the open road. Town driving on the other hand is so much better, purring along at low revs without having a heavy foot.

That lumpy idle (missing) is characteristic of a long duration cam. you'll find that if you tweak the idle up to 1000rpm, most of it will have gone.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”