SFA Gearbox fill/check plug

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux D/C 2.2 Petrol (4Y SFA)

Post by Ryperd »

Does anyone know which is the correct check/fill plug on a SFA Hilux? I opened the one on the right in the picture (towards the rear of the vehicle) and oil came pouring out. The picture in the workshop manual shows a check plug just behind the reverse light connector on the driver’s side of the gearbox but I don’t seem to have one there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom Cruiser: 2001 Land Cruiser 79 1HZ
Ryperd: 1994 Hilux D/C 4Y SFA - sold
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: SFA Gearbox fill/check plug

Post by Mud Dog »

That is the filler plug and filling is done until it comes out of that plug hole. If the oil came running out of the filler plug then it's a little over filled and was probably filled from the turret on top or when the vehicle was side sloped. It's not a problem. If that oil was clean and clear I would just leave it as it is. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux D/C 2.2 Petrol (4Y SFA)

Post by Ryperd »

Hmm. The oil was a bit dark. Clean, but I wouldn’t say clear. Could it be a bit old, or is it possible for there to be an oil leak from the engine somehow?

Also just to add, the engine hasn’t been losing oil, and there aren’t any oil drips under the vehicle. There is some oil weeping from the reverse light connector, which I now think is because the gearbox is over-filled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom Cruiser: 2001 Land Cruiser 79 1HZ
Ryperd: 1994 Hilux D/C 4Y SFA - sold
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Engine oil can't get there. Gear box oil can be darker than engine oil but if it's clear and you don't have gear notchy changes, again, I would say leave it as is. A bit of weeping here and there is not the end of the world either although even over filled it should not leak.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

+1

There is a crank seal engine side and a seal on the spline shaft gearbox side. If the crank seal has a leak there will be oil accumulating & draining from the bottom of the bell housing

Return to “The Workshop”