Intake manifold leaking

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Benjii_90
Town: Southport
Vehicle: 2009 hilux

Intake manifold leaking

Post by Benjii_90 »

Hi guys.. urgent.. is there a engine breather on a 2009 hilux 3.0 d4d? Also can they get blocked? Something is pushing oil into my intake manifold at the rear of the engine and pushing it out the side... anyone know what could cause this? Thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Intake manifold leaking

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Ben. :thumbup:

It must have a crankcase breather. Not sure about your diesel motor but most often these are routed into the inlet manifold and the oil can be coming from there, probably from the nipple where the breather pipe goes into the manifold. Maybe the pipe has become perished and cracked, or even dislodged.

A very small amount of oil coming from there is borderline acceptable, but if it's blowing then chances are that the rings are shot and the crank pressure is coming from blow-by at the pistons / rings.

What's the power like on the motor? Is it smoking, especially under load?

A picture might also help.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Benjii_90
Town: Southport
Vehicle: 2009 hilux

Post by Benjii_90 »

Thanks the reply... I didn't know if it has a breather or not.. would fitting a oil catch can solve it?? It's hardly leaking I only found out by having it on a ramp, it doesn't drip on the floor or blow smoke.. power is same as when I bought it really... picture says it's too big to upload
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

To upload a pic you first have to resize it to 800 x 600 pixels. :winkx:

It might already have a catch-can, I don't know. I'm a petrolhead so don't make a point of knowing all about diesel motors, so I'm not familiar with your motor. However, there are dieselheads here that are, and a pic might also be useful to them to give you sound advice. :D:

The fact that the power is still the same and that it's not blowing smoke is already a good indicator, so I hope it's just something simple like a leaking breather pipe. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

could it not be from the turbo?
Real drivers use three pedals
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That was my other thought, but not sure how they are lubricated - if it's like sealed bushes or if engine oil is pumped through. However then I thought that if it were coming through the turbo it would only come out of the manifold if there were a crack or a leaking gasket. This seemed unlikely given that the motor is reported to be running well. :think:

Return to “The Workshop”