Knocking noise from front

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Knocking noise from front

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi guys I have noticed a knocking noise coming from what seems the right front. Noticeable when turning left and is agrivated by braking. It only makes a single clunk some times very loud. I have checked all the bolts and the ball joints look ok . I can't see any spots were there could be rubbing. Any ideas?
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Knocking noise from front

Post by Mud Dog »

Ball joints would be the first ting that I'd look at and even though they seem to be OK on purely visual inspection, this may not be the case. One needs to jack it up and check for play with a tommy-bar.

The other thing I would look at is the shock mounts top and bottom, and if it's a strut make sure that the upper mount is secure.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

CV Joint.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

LouisZ wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 pmCV Joint.
Could be, but a single 'clunk' is what Justin described and CV's will mostly make a series of 'clunks'.

Does the sound still manifest when stationary and turning the steering?

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

Hi.
I had a similar issue a few years back, check the bolts that secures the shock the bolt that secures the shock , mine was found to be warn out and replaced the rubbers on the shock as well.
cheers
LT
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

CV. Usually start of with clunk while turning. The badder it gets it will clunk-clunk-clunk worse while turning.

Another option might be is when one had brake pads replaced or work done in the front some one forgot to torque the damn caliper bolts.
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Check top and bottom of each shock in the front.
Sent from my iPhone
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Any success in finding the cause yet?
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Lorry »

Your hilux 4x4 system doesn't disengage the front diff, the hubs are always locked so the cv are always turning when driving in 4x2, to test find a patch of grass or gravel and engage the 4x4 and do some tight turns while accelerating and see if you can hear a clunk clunk noise then you will know if it is your cv joints.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi guys. Thanks for all the responses. I don't think it is a CV joint as the noise is very clearly a single clunk. I can actually feel it in the floor when it happens. I have been underneath again and there does not appear to be any loose bolts or nuts and everything looks to be in the correct place. I don't feel any excessive play anywhere. There is a small amount of play in the steering rack. However not enough to make the loud distinctive noise I am referring to. If you turn the steering to check for free play in the rack there is non. One can also hear it though not nearly as loudly if you reverse turning left or if you brake sharply at low speed.
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Lorry »

A quick way to check the ball joints. sit next to your tyre, place you feet firm against the bottom, grab the top of the tyre behind and give it a good pull. you will see if your ball joint is failing, the tyre will move.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

All the ball joints feel tight when testing.
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Lorry »

The only other thing to do is stand out side and look at the wheels when someone is driving your car and try and see if you see anything happening to the wheels , any side way movements, open the bonnet and look inside, checking the shock mounts . maybe jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands so that the wheels hand free and try look and feel for any lose parts without any weight on the suspension.
Keyam
Town: CAPE TOWN
Vehicle: Hilux v6 4.0

Post by Keyam »

To Cookie Monster, iv searched long and hard on forums with no luck and not wanting to spend uneccessary money like other guys and still have problem present. I have similar setup as u, v6, arb, old man emu suspension, the knocking noise is caused by the stabilizer bar hitting the shock strut cup, u can look for wear on that part. But the actual cause is the nylon bush that is at bottom of shock joining at lower control arm. To hear noise u can get someone to stand and jump on arb bumper but on opposite side of noise, jumping in middle or same side won't work as well. U can order the Bush loose R600+- from a 4x4 store or replace both shocks at R10k, I went with R600 replacing both. From what u described on braking the noise present is when weight of van moves forward hitting stabilizer bar, and over bumps its a soft irritating sound like a loose exhaust. If u replace the Bush then it changes the shock angle and moves the stabilizer bar away frm that shock cup. Hopefully this post helps u and others it's easy to have it checked out cause u can get suspension guys to look at right place instead of running through entire suspension. My problem presented itself on passenger side and just by looking at stabilizer bar it's definitely closer than drivers side because of bush
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds logical. My next suggestion would have been to look at the stabilizer mountings and connection points, but you seem to have overcome your problem with the cause you mention.

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

I forgot of that one.

Return to “The Workshop”