Rumbling noise

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Billy67
Town: LUQA
Vehicle: Hilux LN167

Rumbling noise

Post by Billy67 »

Hi all,
Need a little advice on this as when i press clutch pedal i hear a rumbling ,grinding noise that stops when the pedal is released, while driving i get normal operation and as things war up the noise disappears, the noise is worse mostly after a cold start, seems like a bearing somewhere in the transmission,can someone help me pin point the fault please or has experienced the same symptoms my hilux is a 98' LN 167 model 3.0 litre.

Thanks for all replies beforehand.
Billy.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Rumbling noise

Post by pietpetoors »

Sounds like your release bearing. This is the bearing which runs on your pressure plate when you apply the clutch. When you release the clutch the bearing do not touch the clutch no more. That is why it only makes the sounds when you apply the clutch.

Will have to remove the gearbox and replace it. While you are busy, best is to replace the complete clutch kit, that is clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Almost certainly the release bearing that's on it's way.Replace sooner that later because it will fail you. If it collapses it will do damage but you will be replacing most of the damaged stuff with a new kit. Thing is you will have absolutely no clutch. Check the spigot bearing in the flywheel at the same time. You don't want to pull the box out again later for the sake of a R30 pilot bearing. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Billy67

Post by Billy67 »

pietpetoors wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 pm Sounds like your release bearing. This is the bearing which runs on your pressure plate when you apply the clutch. When you release the clutch the bearing do not touch the clutch no more. That is why it only makes the sounds when you apply the clutch.

Will have to remove the gearbox and replace it. While you are busy, best is to replace the complete clutch kit, that is clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing.
Thanks😉
Billy67

Post by Billy67 »

Mud Dog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 pm Almost certainly the release bearing that's on it's way.Replace sooner that later because it will fail you. If it collapses it will do damage but you will be replacing most of the damaged stuff with a new kit. Thing is you will have absolutely no clutch. Check the spigot bearing in the flywheel at the same time. You don't want to pull the box out again later for the sake of a R30 pilot bearing. :winkx:
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I agree with the guys. I would also replace the rear crankshaft oil seal with an original Toyota seal whilst the gearbox is out and check the oil seals on the gearbox too.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

If you do replace the rear crankshaft seal just be careful/mindful to install the new seal the right way around! I've had the "newbie" misfortune to installing it the wrong way around, which means the seal actually draws the oil out instead of keeping it in! Not a nice job to have to do twice!
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Couldn't help but have a chuckle at this sorry Bretton. :D: That way round the seal does a hell of a job keeping the dust out but it sure does not work for keeping the oil in. :siffler: I bet you really feel like kicking yourself at that point. Most definitely not a job I would like to do twice!

Return to “The Workshop”