Low fuel light not working

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Hughmac
Town: Inverness
Vehicle: Toyota hilux 2013 d4d 3.0l

Low fuel light not working

Post by Hughmac »

Hi , I'm new to this forum and wondering if anyone has experienced a similar fault as myself in my hilux 3.0 l d4d 2013
In Dec 2017 I nearly ran out of fuel as I didn't know at the time but my low fuel light was not working had a couple of fill since but tue just passed I did run out of fuel and this was where I found out my low fuel light was defiantly not working any more ( was working prior to Dec 2017) I then stripped out my dash cluster as I thought bulb was blown but found an led so no luck there going to check all fuses and relays if I can this weekend and won't let fuel run as low from now on , I'm no mechanic but a keen to work to try and find a solution wondering if something gone in fuel sender area in tank maybe my next step of investigation
Any feedback would be of great help
Thanks hughie
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Low fuel light not working

Post by Mars »

Hi Hugh

I take it that the fuel gauge is not working? I am not really aware that this is a common issue. I have also not experienced this myself.
My experience with electrical faults is that it is quite often a "mechanical" issue such as a weak contact on a plug or a broken wire.
I am also not sure if the low fuel light is a separate circuit with it's own switch or if it is a function of the instrument cluster. I suspect the former.

Assuming that it has a separate circuit and considering that the float mechanism and the switch which would be activated when the diesel level is low enough is mechanical I would be inclined to think that it is the switch.

First thing however would be to check all the fuses and make sure they are fine and make contact.

Then I would test the circuit by locating the contacts to the sender unit and then would bridge the plug to see if the circuit is still working and if the light on the dash comes on when the circuit is closed. If that works you know for a fact that the sender unit switch is the problem.

Hope this is of some assistance.
Hughmac
Town: Inverness
Vehicle: Toyota hilux 2013 d4d 3.0l

Post by Hughmac »

Thanks mars, yea fuel grade is working fine just low fuel light not coming on when fuel gets low,but was working fine up until mid December 2017. Never managed to check all Fuentes at the weekend but will get done shortly
All pointers heading towards fuel sender unit but need to rule out simple fixes first
Will keep you poster on outcome
Thanks again for your input
Lowrider
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7VVTi

Post by Lowrider »

@Hughmac did you ever find the problem?

My 2015 is doing the same thing.
Guage works, but empty light never comes on...
Toyota tells me to replace the sender in the tank, north of R3k for part and labor...

Return to “The Workshop”