D4D Diesel Smell

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
@theronwillie
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: D4D Hilux

D4D Diesel Smell

Post by @theronwillie »

Hi Guys

I recently noticed that my 2.0 D4D smells like Diesel. After I removed the engine cover I noticed diesel between the fuel rail and glow plugs. At first i cleaned the Diesel , but it returned. What can the possible cause be for this diesel leakage. I did not spot any leak from the fuel rail. See below/attached pictures.

regards
Attachments
20180128_102217-768x1365.jpg
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: D4D Diesel Smell

Post by Mars »

The fuel rail works at extremely high pressures. This could mean that the slightest leak will appear very quickly and it may spray diesel over a distance. You will need to try and find that leak somewhere in that vicinity. If it is towards the rear of the cylinder head as it would seem to be on the photo then the fuel return line also runs from there. You also have the sensor for the fuel rail pressure sitting there so there are a number of possible sources of a leak in that area. You will need to dry everything as thoroughly as you can and see if you can trace it. There must be dampness leading from the source. Has anyone done any work there recently?
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

If possible clean it with petrol and blow it dry with compressed air. Then check for leaks at the nuts on the fuel rail and injectors. The injector pipes sometimes crack just in top of the farrel where it seals. Secondly if all that is fine, spray some soapy water on the injector and look for bubbles around the injector where it exits the head. If there is then the seals inside the head are shot and needs replacement.
@theronwillie

Post by @theronwillie »

Thanks for all the help guys. I will attempt to repair shortly and notify you with the outcome.
@theronwillie

Post by @theronwillie »

Hi Guys,

Found the leak on the fuel rail on the fitting of cylinder 1. Tighten it and seems to be fine now.

Thank you for all your help.

Regards
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “The Workshop”