2012 2.5 D4D fuel economy

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
4wiel
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 2012 2.5 D4D

2012 2.5 D4D fuel economy

Post by 4wiel »

Hi All

Thanks for adding me!

So I got my first diesel vehicle about a month ago, a 2012 2.5 D4D Hilux. It has been fitted with an intercooler and chip by SAC.

Ive had a diagnostics done, then a dyno by SAC. Both showed that the air mass meter is faulty, which I replaced. This seems to have improved fuel usage from 8.5 to about 9.4km/l. According to SAC I should be getting 10km/l plus.

When I accellerate hard, theres black smoke coming from the exhaust. Not much, but I know there shouldnt be any. From what Ive read,it means fuel to air ratio isnt correct,so fuel does not fully combust.

The dyno results showed that everything is in order, injectors function correctly etc.

I need some knowledgable advice on what the cause could be. ERG valve or air filter perhaps dirty? The engine oil is also quite black.

Id really appreciate advice from the big guns!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2012 2.5 D4D fuel economy

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome aboard Ian! :thumbup:

You will have to wait for the diesel heads to respond, but yes, from my limited diesel knowledge, black smoke generally means over fuelling and the possible causes can be numerous. The MAF that you replaced is one of them, injector calibration needs to be within spec and ideally all with closely similar values, EGR might well need cleaning - especially if it's been subjected to a period of black sooty exhaust gas. As far as I am to understand a dirty filter, as you mentioned, can also upset the apple cart. In fact, anything that provides the ECU with data input affects power and economy.

Hope that someone here will be able to give you some more meaningful pointers. Gooid luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4wiel

Post by 4wiel »

Thanks Andy

According to the diagnostic I did, injectors are all in spec. 1 is slightly out, but mechanic said its very little and still within spec, almost not worth mentioning. Nothing else came up in the dyno.

The vehicle has 170k on the clock. So its done some work.

Is there an oxygen meter other than the MAF that might be faulty?

Been driving petrol all my life, diesel is new to me. Got tired of guiding people on tracks and not driving it myself...!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

On petrol EFI one uses a an AFR meter in the exhaust (Air Fuel Ratio) that basically measures the CO and determines how efficient the combustion is - too rich or too lean. On diesel I think the EGR ( which I think stands for Exhaust Gas Ratio) takes over that function - I could of course have it wrong.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4wiel

Post by 4wiel »

Mud Dog wrote:On petrol EFI one uses a an AFR meter in the exhaust (Air Fuel Ratio) that basically measures the CO and determines how efficient the combustion is - too rich or too lean. On diesel I think the EGR ( which I think stands for Exhaust Gas Ratio) takes over that function - I could of course have it wrong.
So Ive checked the air filter and its new. Theres some soot on the inside of the filter where the MAF is located.

I take it theres quite a bit of carbon build up inside the engine.

My logic tells me that the air that is recirculated to the engine from the exhaust via the EGR then already contains soot particles. Unless this air does not pass through the filter but straight to the engine again?

How can I locate the EGR valve,is it easy to remove and clean diy?

Ive read a thread on here on a nissan having it removed in 10 mins?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Return to “The Workshop”