2006 Hilux rear wheel bearings keep on failing

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
JohanHaarhoff
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux DC 4.0 4x4

2006 Hilux rear wheel bearings keep on failing

Post by JohanHaarhoff »

Hi,

I bought my 2006 Hilux DC 4.0 in May 2013, with about 160000 km on the clock. That year August the right rear wheel bearing failed spectacularly outside of Mapungubwe with smoking hot diff oil streaming out when I stopped. Replaced it in Musina, including the drive shaft. In the following year I did one trip to Mabua. January 2015 I went through Bafiaans kloof, realized something sounds funny, and ended up replacing left and right rear bearings in George. I figured the right bearing must have been installed wrong, and the left was damaged from before I had the car and I should have replaced both the first time.

Note that I did not do other 4x4 routes, I rarely load the car and never overload it, and never went through water. Drive it about once a week. The car is now at 200000km.

Now there is definite play of both rear wheels, with the left side the worst. I cannot see how a Hilux should damage a wheel bearing in 3 years of easy driving and probably only about 30000 km. I did check wheel balancing and alignment after I got it. And I know that one can mess things up with the installation but out of 3 the agents should have gotten 1 right.

I could not get hold of a recommended indie to have a look. I want someone that will help me find the issue, not just replace the bearings. So I ended up taking it to the dealer where I normally service the car. They came back saying that the bearings are fine, they even used a stethoscope to listen to them. I uploaded a video of how the wheel moves here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dxwXz-_NQs. I did not check this after the last time the bearings where replaced, so I don’t know if it is a recent thing or not, but I suspect it shouldn’t drive far like that.

So I would like to know from others:
1) Is there anyone that feels this is normal?
2) What could cause this to happen?
3) How can I prevent it happening again?
4) Does anyone know a good place in the Pretoria area that can have a look? I would like to be present with the axle removal to check where the play is. I don’t really have a space at my house to do this.

Thanks!
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: 2006 Hilux rear wheel bearings keep on failing

Post by Tim86 »

It looks like your wheel moves directly in and out? If so it seems that the bearing is not seated properly or held in place correctly in that axis - either there is play between the outer race and the axle housing/retainer or the bearing is loose on the shaft itself. Pull it out, check the bearing - it might be 100% as the dealer says, then you'll know you have play for some reason. The bearing(s) may be of the wrong width, incorrect retainers used etc. - I have only opened older model axles so can't say for sure.
JohanHaarhoff
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by JohanHaarhoff »

Some feedback:

The sideshaft was already worn where the bearing must be pressed on, so the bearing could move around. Not sure why it happened but could be that the bearing cups where worn as well, and I don't trust any of the components anymore, so had the lot replaced. I feel that even if the bearing is fine inside, it will be worn where it presses on the shaft, and I don't want to damage another shaft. One more thing: When people try to move the wheel in and out, they are used to it moving very easy. This is true when the bearing is worn inside. They thought mine was fine, but if you pressed a little harder it moved in and out.
The attachment sideshaft.jpg is no longer available
sideshaft.jpg
Last edited by JohanHaarhoff on Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohanHaarhoff
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by JohanHaarhoff »

Tim86 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:10 pm It looks like your wheel moves directly in and out? If so it seems that the bearing is not seated properly or held in place correctly in that axis - either there is play between the outer race and the axle housing/retainer or the bearing is loose on the shaft itself. Pull it out, check the bearing - it might be 100% as the dealer says, then you'll know you have play for some reason. The bearing(s) may be of the wrong width, incorrect retainers used etc. - I have only opened older model axles so can't say for sure.
Jip, thanks, you where right. But as I said, I dont trust that the bearing inner seat at all any more, it must be damaged.
JohanHaarhoff
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by JohanHaarhoff »

Here is a closeup view
sideshaft_closeup.jpg
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Can't put a new bearing on that, you can see the recess where the old has ground away material. Old inner race will be shot as well. What holds the inner race in place on these models?? Spacer between the flange/race and heat ring between the race/snap ring? There must be something either side..
JohanHaarhoff
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by JohanHaarhoff »

Tim86 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:18 pm Can't put a new bearing on that, you can see the recess where the old has ground away material. Old inner race will be shot as well. What holds the inner race in place on these models?? Spacer between the flange/race and heat ring between the race/snap ring? There must be something either side..
Agree 100%. I don't even want to give that side shaft to someone with an old farm bakkie, it will go the the scrap metal dealers.

The inner race extend to the one side, with a bit of a funnel shape. I assume that goes against the flange, to the left in the closeup photo. I will try to post a photo of that tonight. To the right is a spacer that should be pressed on, then a snap ring that goes into the groove you can see.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Johan I had a similar problem with a side shaft on one of my Hiluxes.I had the shaft hardchromed by an engineering firm.They also machined the shaft back to size.
I never ever had an issue with it again.
I went that route instead of installing a fong kong side shaft.
JohanHaarhoff
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by JohanHaarhoff »

FIRSTGEER wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 pm Johan I had a similar problem with a side shaft on one of my Hiluxes.I had the shaft hardchromed by an engineering firm.They also machined the shaft back to size.
I never ever had an issue with it again.
I went that route instead of installing a fong kong side shaft.
If only I knew that was possible! I have three original shafts that could possibly be repaired.

I will post some more pics over the weekend as well.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Why three shafts?
JohanHaarhoff
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by JohanHaarhoff »

Tim86 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:34 pm Why three shafts?
The first one was from 2013 when the right bearing failed specularly, see my first post. This time they replaced the left as described, and I was not trusting the right wheel so I asked for the right bearing and cup to be replaced. They ended up replacing the shaft as well, not sure it was needed but they told me it was needed. It has a slight nick from when they used a grinder to remove the spacer and ABS ring, not the right way to remove it AFAIK.
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

Hi. Just a question, do you have aftermarket mags fitted to your hilux? if so just check that that the center of the mag , "wheel offset" is the same as the hilux , if you have a dished type mag that makes your van look wider this will effect the bearing centers and add additional load to the wheel bearings
JohanHaarhoff
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by JohanHaarhoff »

Lorry wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:54 am Hi. Just a question, do you have aftermarket mags fitted to your hilux? if so just check that that the center of the mag , "wheel offset" is the same as the hilux , if you have a dished type mag that makes your van look wider this will effect the bearing centers and add additional load to the wheel bearings
Yes, it came with Dick Cepek rims when I bought it, I will check if they are offset, but I don't think it will be by much, looks normal.Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “The Workshop”