Vigo shock replacement - When?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
ROOKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: HILLCREST
Vehicle: 12 4.0 V6 4x4.

Vigo shock replacement - When?

Post by ROOKIE »

Hi All.

I drive an 09 4.0 v6 with just over 140 000km on the odo.

When getting wheel alignment done recently, the outfit I took the truck to said I need new shocks. I didn't believe them as they tested the shocks by jumping on the running boards while the corner of the vehicle was connected to some or other contraption, but it did get me thinking.

When should you replace them?

They are not leaking and the vehicle still handles like it did when I first got it. When I push the corners of the vehicle down, it returns to its resting position in 1 movement and the tyre wear is even (no flat spots).

It normally stays parked until I use it for a trip (one big trip and a few smaller ones each year). They are also black in colour so I assume they are still the ones as fitted by the factory.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Paul
09 4.0 V6 Auto 4x4.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Vigo shock replacement - When?

Post by Mud Dog »

It sounds like they don't need to be replaced yet. 160,000km is not a low mileage for shocks, even if it hasn't been used a lot on gravel road. So I think that if they are still OEM, they will need replacing in the not too distant future. Just monitor then closely. Of course the possibility exists that they were replaced at some point before you took ownership, and could still have a lot of life left in them.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

The problem you are faced with is that the normal test done on the car by pushing the corners is not the most effective test. The reason for this is that the range of motion that the shocks move in during normal driving is just a few centimeters. So it can appear that the shocks are fine while they are worn in the normal range of motion. I picked it up on my bakkie when I fitted a new set of tyres and it felt like their balance was slightly out but when checking the balance the tyres were balanced. It was starting to bounce very slightly in that small range of motion whilst doing the push test they seemed fine.

This was admittedly at about 180 000 ks with the original shocks. I bought the bakkie new.
ROOKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ROOKIE »

Thank you for your replies.

I think I will get them replaced, just in case. I am going to the Kgalagadi in a few months and might as well be safe.

Appreciate the input!
09 4.0 V6 Auto 4x4.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

If you don't require anything too demanding just fit a set of Monroe Gas Magnum or Adventure.
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
ROOKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ROOKIE »

pieta.swanepoel wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:54 am If you don't require anything too demanding just fit a set of Monroe Gas Magnum or Adventure.
Thanks for the advice. I don't do anything more demanding than overlanding so I will definitely take a look at them.
09 4.0 V6 Auto 4x4.

Return to “The Workshop”