Driver feet heater

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
DSL
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux 4l V6

Driver feet heater

Post by DSL »

Good day fellow hilux owners.

I am new here and want to thank you in advance for the opportunity. I have a 2010 4l V6 hilux named Grootdors. In the winter when I have the heater on all vents produce warm air except the driver feet vent. It gives air but it is not warm.

Can anyone assist with some ideas?

Regards DSL
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Driver feet heater

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Dawie! :thumbup:

This sounds a little strange in a way. After all if you are getting warm air up at the top vents, it's the same air that is being directed to the foot-well vents when you select that setting.

I have also often thought to myself that the air down there is not as warm as at the top on almost every vehicle I have owned, but it doesn't sound very logical and I have to wonder if it's not just a case of misperception. Or maybe the full air flow is not directed to the bottom when you choose that setting because there is indeed a fault with the mechanism or it's designed that way because there is already heat from the motor and exhaust coming through the floor.

It will be interesting to see what other comments there are and if this is indeed a genuine fault that others have experienced.
:winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
DSL

Post by DSL »

Thank you Mud Dog.

Yes it is very strange to me as well. I put the setting on the feet only so then there is no air flow at the top but a distinct difference in the passenger side air heat and the driver side heat.

Looking forward to see other replies of possible causes.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Presumably the ducting between the heater flow to the foot section is blocked or has worked loose somehow. Hope you do not find a rat's nest blocking it - that could develop squeaks as the babies are born!

Perhaps chat to a panel beater or browse through the workshop manuals section on the forum, perhaps you might find a manual for your model.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

It could be a blocked duct. The other option is that the airflow is directed by flaps which close and open in different configurations to direct air up, middle or down or a combination of settings. I'm not sure if the 2010 model already has electronic climate control but I think it does. So it could either be an actuator on one of the flaps that has a loose connection or is faulty or the flap could be stuck. If it is still the older model the flaps are actuated by cables so a cable/link could be loose or broken.
Last edited by Mars on Thu May 31, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Hi Dawie. Great to have you here on the forum.
If you have the 2010 model, you'll have the electrical controlled
temp air console - touch button style.
It is electrically controlled through servo vent flaps or some other ridiculous name like a "blend door" or air valves.
They sit in the air ducts - under dash.
This is not a "dual zone temp / climate" system.
I suspect that the one leading to your driver foot side is shot or stuck.
Apologies for not being specific as the service manual I have only addresses the manual/ shift turn temp controls for the older Vigos.

Hope this little helps.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
DSL

Post by DSL »

I actually ordered one of those endoscope things that plug into your phone in order for me to go up one of those ducts and check what is going on on the inside.
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

:twisted: :twisted: Ja..that should work. :laugh2:

From what I could remember was that the inside of the dash is quite spacious
and the ducts are easy to follow.
The HVAC is more to the passenger side.
You can open easy.
The middle console is grab with 2 fingers on each side, feel the edge and simply pull.
(Don't lose the clips!)

Then it's off.

The cubby hole is press on the sides to unhook the clips and pull. Easy.
Panels under steering is feel the clips at the rear and simply pull.

Good Luck and let us know.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz

Return to “The Workshop”