Bad miss

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Alan river
Town: Adelaide
Vehicle: Toyota hilux

Bad miss

Post by Alan river »

I have a 2004 2wd with the 3RW petrol engine. Have a bad miss it’s ok at idle not good as soon as I increase the revs. It is also pulsing through the air cleaner. Have checked vacuum hoses and replace plugs, plug leads and coil packs. Not sure what to do next
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Re: Bad miss

Post by dd6 »

Pulsing through the air cleaner almost sounds like a timing issue?
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Did the problem appear after you worked on the vehicle or did it just start by itself?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

What is a 3RW engine?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Or it could be an inlet valve.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I think he means a 3RZ motor.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Alan river

Post by Alan river »

Yes I mean 3RZ and it just started while driving around town . Have not been working on at all
Alan river

Post by Alan river »

Have had compression test done and was told it is all good
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If the compression test was genuinely good, then the chances of a valve problem are slim. Generally these are hardy motors that can take some abuse and don't give many problems.

Without the blow-back and considering what you have already replaced (including the compression test), I would perhaps be thinking along the lines of a dirty / partially blocked injector.

The fact that you are getting some bl;ow-back through the intake is puzzling and as mentioned could be a timing issue, but it would have to be badly out of spec. Then why would the timing go out of it's own. I'm not convinced even though it is a possibility.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Check the idle control valve on the throttle body. It become stuck and needs a good cleaning.

Return to “The Workshop”