Radiator Upgrade Mk6

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
climbingmike
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Hilux mk6

Radiator Upgrade Mk6

Post by climbingmike »

Hello Guys

I have a Mk6 that slightly over heats when on the high way and loaded. Its not much but just enough to turn the AC pump off. I know the issue is because of the ARB winch bumper and all the lights reducing air flow, so I want to install an upgraded radiator.

Does any one know a company in Jobrug that sells or makes them?

Many thanks
MIke
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Radiator Upgrade Mk6

Post by Mud Dog »

If the radiator is still good (not clogged and the fins are not choked or corroded) then why not try improve airflow. Is the visco fan working properly? Maybe install a pancake fan in front of the radiator / AC condenser. Cheaper option and will improve the AC efficiency as well.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

You can usually find a replacement/upgrade at Silverton Radiators
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
climbingmike
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Hilux mk6

Post by climbingmike »

Mud Dog wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:48 pm If the radiator is still good (not clogged and the fins are not choked or corroded) then why not try improve airflow. Is the visco fan working properly? Maybe install a pancake fan in front of the radiator / AC condenser. Cheaper option and will improve the AC efficiency as well.
I think this might be the easiest option as Toyota say the V fan is working fine. I am not in the country at the moment so I cant check but do you know what site fan will fit on the front of the AC Rad?

Many thanks
MIke
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

On your model I don't even know if there is enough space in there between the condenser and the grille (also vertical support rib if there is one). You would have to physically check.

On the old SFA there was enough space to fit a Merc W123 series front fan in there .... IIRC those merc's used to have two slim fans side by side which were probably only 12" or 14" diameter, but they worked well. Otherwise guys like Midas and Autozone keep a selection of after-market fans which you could check out after taking measurements of the space available.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”