Not engaging L4

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Vicky777
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux

Not engaging L4

Post by Vicky777 »

Hello Members

I Recently took my 2018 Hilux double cab on a 4x4 course which was great . the issue was that it took a bit long to engage into L4 mode.
we had to keep moving front and back until it engaged. after the course it did not disengage easily. the instructor said it might be a bit sticky and told me I must keep trying once a week to engage it. it is still not doing so. looks like I will have to take it on a longer distance of 500 meters to see if it engage. have any of you guys had a similar problem. I am thinking to send my vehicle back to the dealership for checking. the vehicle is only 3 months old and doing 5000 km.

thank you
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Re: Not engaging L4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Brand new and it do this. Take back to the dealership. This is the problem now that these Hilux is not any more 100% South African manufactured.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Vicky! :thumbup:

I agree with Hennie - take it back to the dealership.

Just in case you don't know, you should never engage 4WD on any surface that won't allow some slippage of the tyres Like tar roads, hard packed earth etc - you could do some serious damage to the diffs if you try turning.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Mmmm, Andy, are you not thinking abouit difflock maybe?
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

That is definitely not right. Take it to the dealership.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

dax021 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 pm Mmmm, Andy, are you not thinking abouit difflock maybe?
Nope, but that'll be just as bad if not worse. Try it yourself :D: ...... engage 4x4 on the tar somewhere where you won't be a hazard to other traffic like an empty parking lot an try make a turn (without forcing it). Unless you have a centre diff you're going to experience axle wind-up and the vehicle will want to go in a straight line.

I have to admit that I have done this on the odd occasion but in wet conditions on the open road where turns are gentle. Done not so much for the sake of traction under power but more for the sake of better braking in the wet - SFA's don't have ABS. (It's more difficult for 2 or 3 wheels to lock up than 1 or 2).
:winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

Is your van manual or auto.
manual, try release the clutch as your engage 4L, but make sure your main gear lever is in neutral.
if it is an auto, select neutral and then try and engage. you would only need to move your van forward and backwards in a straight line to release any gearbox wind up if you are trying to disengage the 4x4 system or diff lock.

Return to “The Workshop”