Spongy brakes

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Spongy brakes

Post by Danman »

Good day fellow hiluxers,

I have replaced my brake pads 2 weeks ago on my 2000 IFS , ever since my brake pedal travel have been doing strange things.
Sometimes it has the normal amount of travel(like before) but every now and then it travels way down(still braking luckily).
There is no leak in the system that I can see and it was fine up to the pad change.
What could be the cause?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Re: Spongy brakes

Post by dd6 »

This sometimes happens with new pads. If there is no apparent problem and you have brakes, maybe give it another few km's until the pads "bed" in. Is the discs worn? Maybe bleed the brake fluid just to be safe.
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

Thanx
yes the disks is worn a bit. I will bleed it this weekend, maybe replace the fluid, cause I think it still has the factory brake fluid in the system :shock: :silent:
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Bleed the brake fluid out till you get only the new fluid. Always good.

Let pads wear in too.
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Another could be that the pads have developed a glassy surface, remove the pads and on a 1000% flat surface with sandpaper tape to it (ie granite kitchen counter and wait for swambo to go shopping) "roughen them up a bit" and re install Always drive like miss daisy the first couple of Hundred kilos for the pads to bed in. Wish I would listen to myself then i would have this "advise" to give.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!

Return to “The Workshop”