Gearbox Fill plug stripped

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Gearbox Fill plug stripped

Post by Rigger »

With my 170000km service, I damaged the gearbox fill/check plug on my 3.0 D4d Hilux. That is one area that I don't like Toyota's design, are the fill plugs on the transfer and gearboxes. So I first tried to tap it loose with a chisel, but with no success. Also scared that I would damage or crack the gearbox housing.
Then I welded a nut on the plug with a TIG welder after removing the battery terminals of course.
Finally it came loose very easily.
It helps to remove the diesel cooler for a bit more room to work. I the replaced the fill plug with the one you will see in the photo. Much better as it has more meat where the socket or spanner can grip on.

IMG_2180 (2).JPG
IMG_2182 (2).JPG
IMG_2184 (2).JPG
IMG_2185 (2).JPG
Attachments
IMG_2185 (2).JPG
IMG_2184 (2).JPG
IMG_2182 (2).JPG
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: Gearbox Fill plug stripped

Post by Rigger »

I tried placing the photos inline but when I click on preview, the disappear.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

One way is ....

• to click on "Edit" and select all the text that's between [img] tags and delete. Go back to "Attachments - "Add files" and your uploads will still be there. Scroll back up to the text box. Place your cursor where you want the images below your text and then scroll back down to your uploaded images and click on "Place in line" for each one in the order that you want them to appear.

The other way is ....
• to click on "Edit" and select the individual image texts and cut / paste them into the correct order in the text box.

I assume that the last image should have been the one to display first but that the rest are in the correct order (that's how it places them by default for some reason if you haven't placed them before submitting). :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I had a quick look ..... cannot do either of what I described above because it appears as one single image. Strange.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rigger »

Thanks for checking Andy. I emailed the photos form my phone to myself to get it on my pc. And when I downloaded it, it saved it in my downloads folder as one zipped file. Strange. Maybe thats why it doesn’t want to work.

Any way. Hope this post can help someone with the same problem on the fill plug.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hau! :shock2: :scratch: :blink:

I deleted and reloaded your images, placed them "in line" in numerical order (which is what I assume you wanted) and submitted. They come up in the right order as placed, but the deleted ones are still there .... something strange happening ... I also notice that they are not between the normal [img] tags, but are now called attachments. :blink:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Maybe the zipping had something to do with it .... gonna go check on some other posts ......

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

You can replace the filler plug with a camry one, that has a female 10mm allen socket, which works much better and doesn't strip easily.

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=36185&p=431587
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

That is a good idea Nic. I have a dedicated socket where I grinded the shoulder on the mouth flat to ensure that I get the maximum bearing surface between the socket and the plug and I have only had one issue to date on a Triton where the plug was already damaged. I find that because those plugs are normally tightened from below the vehicle by the local service technicians assistant, where they have a good grip on the spanner and their body weight to help that these plugs are very often over tightened. Bottom line is I always prepare for the worst when I need to undo those plugs.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

A wack with a hammer is always a good idea when the bolt and the thing it screws into are different metals (steel and aluminium in this case), it helps reduce the sticktion. That and copper slip are your friend
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"

Return to “The Workshop”