Oil pump

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Zatopec
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 82 Hilux 4x4 S/C

Oil pump

Post by Zatopec »

Hello guys

The 2C non turbo motor in my 4x4 has been standing for a month now.. i replaced the front crank and oil pump oil seals. The oil pump was removed. My question, does the oil pump need to be primed or bled before starting and if so how will this be done?

Thanks

Rodney

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Re: Oil pump

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit Rodney.IF possible,fill the pump up with oil prior to installing .Also remove the oil pressure sensor and attempt to pump oil into the system via this hole by using a oil can pump.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I see that Tony had posted while I was typing and his idea of oiling through the pressure sensor is a good one .....

It will prime itself but typically these are not high volume pumps so it might take about 15 / 20 seconds to prime and then a few more to fill the filter (which would have drained by now) and galleries before reaching all the necessary places.

The fact that it has stood for so long is not in your favour - oil will have seeped out of the bearing surfaces and although there will still be oil there, all the bearings will be running fairly dry relative to normal conditions.

Typically the pump will deliver to the filter before anything else so if you like you could remove the filter and squirt some oil down the delivery pipe which will run down to the pump and help with priming. You could also remove the top cover and put some oil on the cam journal bearings and lobes. That's all optional and will help, but what I would do in any event is to disable ignition (maybe remove the glow plugs so that there is also no compression load either) and turn the motor over with the starter in a few 5sec bursts using a jumper battery before actually starting it. That way at least the crank bearings won't be dry when starting under normal load. You could also squirt a small amount of oil into the cylinders through the glow plug holes so as to lubricate the rings as well.

I somehow doubt that a workshop would go to all that trouble and would probably just start it up as is, but then again in most such cases it would not have been standing so long either.

Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Zatopec
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Zatopec »

Thanks guys. I have a manual oil pressure gauge and took a chance by cranking the motor with out starting. Pressure was around 3 after about 5 seconds. Power back onto the IP and upon start up went to 7 bar.

I now have a oil leak on the alternator. Engine start up with out the alternator turning. Truly hope this did not do damage to the alternator.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The alternator runs on it's own sealed bearings .... not oil from the motor. What makes you think it has an "oil leak"? Has oil perhaps not dripped onto it from when you were working? Or from somewhere else like the rocker cover?

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Does the alternator have a vacuum pump at the back?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

pietpetoors wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:41 am Does the alternator have a vacuum pump at the back?
Yes, the 2C alternators have the vacuum pump at the back. The oil leak could come from it.
Zatopec
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Zatopec »

Correct. Vacuum pump at the back of the alternator. I opened the pump but could not see any where the leak could have come from. Only thing i can think of was the oil pressure bypassed the o ring because the alternator was not turning with the engine.

Regards
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Yes Andy.Many of the diesel engine setups utilize a small vacuum pump attached to to the rear of the alternator to provide the vacuum for the brake system.The petrol engines receive the needed vacuum from the inlet manifold

The beauty of the 5cyl 300d merc engine ,which we installed into Wades hilux ,is that the engine has its own vacuum pump driven off the engine .

This alternator/vacuum pump setup used by many diesel results in a very costly repair or replacement of the alternator.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks Tony. We petrol heads don't know about those things but we live and learn. :D:

Return to “The Workshop”