Piston No 4 Seized 3.0 D4D

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Roadrat86
Town: Saldanha Bay
Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D

Piston No 4 Seized 3.0 D4D

Post by Roadrat86 »

Hey guys,

Please can i get some help.
i have a 2006 Hilux 3.0 D4D, 260000km, Full Service History with Toyota,
It seems that the vehicle seized a piston (No 4), and the oil pickup is very clogged up.
But the vehicle has had its oil changed on time all the time. Please can someone help me with an explaination to what would have caused this. I am completely stumped!!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Piston No 4 Seized 3.0 D4D

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Reece! :thumbup:

It's normally always No. 4 cylinder when there is a heat seize. Coolant from the radiator enters the front of the motor and flows through the head and water jacket in the block, by the time it reaches no. 4 it is already considerably hotter and as a result the rear of the motor always runs hotter. Factor in a lack of cooling due to one or more scenarios like an ailing cooling system, the motor working hard or a really hot day and you could have the result you have. I suspect that your cooling system may not be functioning optimally but also if there is a starvation of oil due to a clogged pick-up, heat dissipation is additionally compromised. Remember that oil not only serves to lubricate, but also to carry heat away from the friction areas.

Either way, it will be very difficult to definitively say it was caused by this or that without physically stripping and seeing.

What was clogging the pick-up? Sludgy black oil? This happens to oil when it is overheated.

Maybe you will get lucky and Toyota will come to the party and cover some of the repair costs since it was them that did the services. Good luck.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”