toyota hilux 3y Carburator problems

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
herbie-k
Town: Lusaka
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

toyota hilux 3y Carburator problems

Post by herbie-k »

Hi, need help with my 1996 hilux running on a 3y engine. the engine keeps on stalling when i take my foot of the gas and i have a new carburetor installed and i am guessing it is something to do with the vacuum lines . Please help me find the problem :surrender:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: toyota hilux 3y Carburator problems

Post by Mud Dog »

It does sound like a vacuum leak. Check that all vacuum lines are connected and not perished / cracked - don't forget the brake booster line off the manifold (the brake booster itself have no rust holes?).

You could safely dispense with all the vacuum operated stuff (the BVSV"s) except for the vacuum timing advance. Just blank off all the rest with rubber boots.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
herbie-k

Post by herbie-k »

Mud Dog wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am It does sound like a vacuum leak. Check that all vacuum lines are connected and not perished / cracked - don't forget the brake booster line off the manifold (the brake booster itself have no rust holes?).

You could safely dispense with all the vacuum operated stuff (the BVSV"s) except for the vacuum timing advance. Just blank off all the rest with rubber boots.
thanks, looks like i will have to check all the vacuum line's individually for leaks and do you have any advice on how to identify leaks
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

You said a new carb is installed - is the gasket seal between the carb and the intake manifold good?

You cannot always hear where it might be sucking air so it could be difficult. I would start with the brake booster and hose - disconnect from the manifold and cap off or plug the nipple on the manifold - start and see if it makes a difference.

You can go through all the vacuum lines systematically like that the find the faulty hose/s. If it's not the hoses it could be sucking air somewhere else like carb / manifold gasket or something that you overlooked to reconnect when you changed the carb.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
herbie-k

Post by herbie-k »

Mud Dog wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:38 pm You said a new carb is installed - is the gasket seal between the carb and the intake manifold good?

You cannot always hear where it might be sucking air so it could be difficult. I would start with the brake booster and hose - disconnect from the manifold and cap off or plug the nipple on the manifold - start and see if it makes a difference.

You can go through all the vacuum lines systematically like that the find the faulty hose/s. If it's not the hoses it could be sucking air somewhere else like carb / manifold gasket or something that you overlooked to reconnect when you changed the carb.
Thanks alot
been a busy week and will be doing my carb tomorrow hope to find the leak with your tips
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

What are the brakes like? Do you have to stand on the pedal? I ask because it could be the brake booster itself that has a leak - of course you will find out if that's the case when you remove the booster hose from the manifold and plug the nipple.

Just a quick word of caution - when you plug / blank off any of the vacuum nipples, whatever you use be sure that nothing can be sucked in.

herbie-k

Post by herbie-k »

Mud Dog wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:57 pm What are the brakes like? Do you have to stand on the pedal? I ask because it could be the brake booster itself that has a leak - of course you will find out if that's the case when you remove the booster hose from the manifold and plug the nipple.

Just a quick word of caution - when you plug / blank off any of the vacuum nipples, whatever you use be sure that nothing can be sucked in.
thanks, i appreciate the help i very much needed it

Return to “The Workshop”