2005 Hilux 2700 suddenly sounds like a VW beetle

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
GerhardHuman
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 2700i DC

2005 Hilux 2700 suddenly sounds like a VW beetle

Post by GerhardHuman »

Hi everyone. I went on a road trip this weekend with the family.
We stopped at a shop to get supplies, when I started the bakkie again it suddenly sounded like a beatle. Never happened before!
I thought he exhaust must have gotten damaged and got out to check under the car. Couldn’t see anything suspect. I slowly drove back to our cabbin like that.

When I stopped the car I turned it off. Put the key back in the ignition and started it again; perfectly fine! Suddenly it’s running normal again. That was yesterday.

Today we packed up, got in the car and drove back to Paarl. All perfect. Stopped at the shop for milk, started up again; same thing! Only this time it didn’t fix itself after a few restarts. Luckily I was close to home so slowly drove back.

Probably have to take it in to the shop this week.

Now I’m not mechanically clued up at all. But it sounds like a timing thing? And the fact that it managed to fix itself after a restart sounds like an electronic thing... has anyone encountered something like this before?

Thanks in advance!
Gerhard
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 2005 Hilux 2700 suddenly sounds like a VW beetle

Post by Family_Dog »

Was there a loss of power too? I'm suspecting might be a coil pack, HT plug cable or possibly semi-blocked injector, but the guys with more brain cells than I will surely reply soon.

Please keep us updated when you find the cause.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

GerhardHuman

Post by GerhardHuman »

Hi F_D, I suspect so... althouh I was very hesitant to push it.
After the “reset” it was perfectlynormal fot the entire day.
GerhardHuman

Post by GerhardHuman »

So what happened was: (for anyone who might experience this in the future)
I took the bakkie to Toyota. They had it for the day and phoned me at the end of the day and said they're not sure what the problem is but they think it's blown a gasket. I'll have to do an engine overhaul. I told them they must be joking to which they said no, they have to do another test but they think it's Engine overhaul or new engine...

So ofcourse I went to fetch my car and took it to another mechanic in Paarl who was referred to me by a friend.

He took one look at it and said it's the nr3 injector. I just need to replace it.
That was that. Now it's fine again :thumbup:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

It scares me to think of the quality of service work being carried out on one's expensive pride & joy with people who do not know their ***** form their elbow. The dealers charge a fortune for a vehicle service but really seem to have very little knowledge of what they are meant to be doing.

Glad you came right!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear! Run it for a few days to make sure that all is well and then let that dealership know what a blunder they made.

I would also name and shame them so that others in your neck-o-the-woods are warned. (I would also let that dealership know that you've posted your experience on the forum and send them a link).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I agree with Andy. Name and shame. Their diagnosis was wrong to the extent that the only inference that can be drawn is that they are dishonest and opportunistic.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Or totally incompetent. Either way the customer ends up paying big bucks unnecessarily. There should be consequences.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Mud Dog wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:02 am Or totally incompetent. Either way the customer ends up paying big bucks unnecessarily. There should be consequences.
I agree Andy. I also had a similar experience in the first quarter this year when I took my previous Prado for service. 3 months later I was served a R 32K bill to pay with the initial problem still there. Needless to say I payed half the bill as that was the service and extra work I requested and left the rest for the workshop to pay. Problem ended up being a collapsed gearbox mount which I made them order and install at their cost. However after the work done (the transfer box which was diagnosed as the culprit ) was very noisy and rough and shuddery the night of the accident... Still think this was part of why I lost control of the vehicle.

Since then the workshop has been very wary when I do pull in there as they know me by Mr Trouble now. :surrender:

This was at a large Toyota Dealership, and I am still contemplating to service my vehicle at a different dealer now.
Johan Marais

Return to “The Workshop”