Help with Hilux 2400d front brakes

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
AntonyNaude
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2400d 4x2

Help with Hilux 2400d front brakes

Post by AntonyNaude »

Good day all,

I need to replace the brake pads of my Hilux 2400d (2004), but I cannot get the brake calipers off. I'm used to removing the pins to get the pads out but this one is completely different, please see attached picture. ps, this is not a 4x4.
Toyota want R2100 to replace the front pads, I cannot afford that. Bosch brake pads cost me R500.
Attachments
Hilux1.jpg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Help with Hilux 2400d front brakes

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Anthony. :thumbup:

Not familiar with that specific one but looks like a floating calliper. Usually you just remove one bolt either top or bottom and the whole calliper swings out from the disc.

P.S. Get a price for Brembo pads from Midas .... might be cheaper than Bosch and much better quality with minimum fade.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
AntonyNaude

Post by AntonyNaude »

Thanks Mud Dog!

I just had a look again and it seems there is a "hex" bolt inside of the "silver" shaft (top and bottom) that the calipers slide on, is that what you are referring too?
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Those silver bolts visible at the top and bottom should take an Allen key. Just make sure that it is a good tight fit and that there is no rubbish inside the hole preventing the Allen key from engaging all the way.

The process is that you compress the piston first and then undo those two Allen bolts and slide the caliper off. In some instances it is possible to remove only one bolt and swing the caliper out the way but I think that rigid brake fluid pipe is going to prevent that. Don't let the loose caliper hang on the flexible portion of the brake line as it may damage it. Rather hang the caliper with a length of wire from a coil or other fixed point that can support the weight of the caliper.

Replace the pads, slide the caliper back in place, insert and tighten the Allen bolts properly.

Very easy.
AntonyNaude

Post by AntonyNaude »

thanks Mars, any idea what size they are? I will have to go buy a key because the set I have is inches and it does not fit
Mars

Post by Mars »

No idea probably a 8 or 10 mm. More likely an 8.

If you are going to buy new keys I would consider getting the "socket" type keys that fit onto a ratchet. That is to say that you actually have a socket wrench set. They are much easier to use than trying to lever the allen key with a ring spanner- although it works and also easier to judge when they are tight.
AntonyNaude

Post by AntonyNaude »

Hi Mars & Mud Dog

it was a 7mm. I bought a 7mm hex socket from Midas for R39 and a "Tbar" for R79, (and some decent hand cleaner) it took me at best 30 minutes to do both wheels.

Big thanks guys!

Now to replace the back wheel cylinders as the left wheel is leaking brake fluid a bit. R80 for the complete kit per wheel.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad to hear that you came right (and you're getting to know your vehicle a bit better in the process - a good thing).

Let us know how you fared with the rear slaves. But just a quick question, are you sure it's brake fluid and not oil from the shaft seal?

Either or, if it's got to the point that the shoes have been contaminated, they're no good any more and will need replacement once you've sorted the leaks.

Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars

Post by Mars »

Well done Anthony. If the slave cylinder is leaking it could very likely be due to pitting in the cylinder due to rust. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and very few people including me replace it regularly enough. If that is the case you need to get a honing tool and to hone the surfaces to get a proper seal again. Of late the price difference between seal kits and complete new cylinders is so small relatively speaking that as a rule I get new cylinders.

Hope you come right.

Return to “The Workshop”