SFA Hilux Internal Fan Not Working

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

SFA Hilux Internal Fan Not Working

Post by pampoen »

So I have stripped the dash out.Checked heater fuse Ac fuse. Checked resistor, apparently even if resistor is blown, fan will run at at least one speed. Relay clicks only once at high speed setting on switch but nothing else happens. Switch is simple and looks good still. I am not sure about relay, as I said, it does click at high speed but that's it. If I plug fan straight to power it runs fine.

Any idea's? All input appreciated! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: SFA Hilux Internal Fan Not Working

Post by Mars »

The contacts in the relay could be burnt meaning it clicks but still no current will flow or insufficient current to get the motor running. Check the continuity of the contacts on the relay.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: SFA Hilux Internal Fan Not Working

Post by Mud Dog »

Tend to agree with Marnus. There must be resistors blown if it's only clicking at highest speed (straight through) but the fact that the relay clicks means that there is power getting to it, so it's not going to be a fuse. Either the contacts in the relay are burnt as Marnus suggests or there is a bad / burnt wiring connection or the wiring itself has a break in it.

A multi-meter (volts / continuity) is going to help you a lot to isolate the problem.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”