Front diff lock

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Front diff lock

Post by pietdevs »

Has anyone fitted a diff lock to the front axle on a Vigo? If yes I would like some info.
sakkie4x4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Tzaneen
Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D Raider 4x4 MT
Club VHF Licence: HC343

Re: Front diff lock

Post by sakkie4x4 »

I will second you on that request.
Matt. 21:28-30.
"Kom na My toe, almal wat vermoeid en belas is, en Ek sal julle rus gee. Neem My juk op julle en leer van My, want Ek is sagmoedig en nederig van hart, en julle sal rus vind vir julle siele: want My juk is sag en My las is lig".

"Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart' and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light"
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

I spoke to the stealers this morning and the one salesman said that the Hiluxes (GD6) after 2015 have a standard front diff lock. If you engage 4x4 the front diff lock automatically engages and the driver can then select the rear diff lock when he wants to. It sounds too good to be true - can someone verify?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

pietdevs wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:46 pm I spoke to the stealers this morning and the one salesman said that the Hiluxes (GD6) after 2015 have a standard front diff lock. If you engage 4x4 the front diff lock automatically engages and the driver can then select the rear diff lock when he wants to. It sounds too good to be true - can someone verify?
I don't know for sure because I am unfamiliar with the vehicle, but this doesn't sound right to me. AFAIK there is an ADD unit (Automatic Diff Decoupler) and that engages the front diff electronically when 4x4 is selected - that doesn't mean diff-lock.

Practically, lockers are only used here and there where extra traction is required or where normal traction will be lost or diminished due to the axle twisting nature of the obstacle. Permanently locking a diff even in an off-road condition is not good for the diff and can cause damage - it can also be dangerous IRO of control of the vehicle. This will be more so the case where the front diff is locked because of steering.

I think your salesman is confused between engaging the diff and locking the diff. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

i do agree. sales man doesn't have a clue (like most of the time). if I recall correctly Jaans has a front diff lock in his Vigo. very expensive. I think its in the 22K range.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

The GD6 definitely does not come with a front diff-lock as standard. When you engage 4x4 the front and back wheels are locked together as it does not have a centre differential and in low range you can engage a diff-lock on the rear differential.

That should be fine for most off road situations. a Front diff lock is expensive, will be used very seldomly and I understand that it is quite easy to break the front diff if a diff lock is installed although I suspect it is more a case of the front diff lock being used in extreme situations where you are already pushing the envelope with a bigger chance of breaking things.

Return to “The Workshop”