Calling all Sparkies - wiper issue

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
gotalovethebush
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux VIGO 2.5 D4D SRX 4x4.

Calling all Sparkies - wiper issue

Post by gotalovethebush »

Hi guys.

Hilux Vigo D4D 2006

My fuse all of a sarden blew for my wipers. It only blew under load - when windscreen was dry.

I opened the cover and I can easily stop the motor by hand...

I have another hilux and swopped the whole wiper assembly into the other bakkie. It worked like a charm and I could never stop it.

So seems my bakkie is not giving enough current? As the wiper assembly does work in another hilux..

Any ideas what can cause a low current delivery?

Appreciate your help
Peter

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Calling all Sparkies - wiper issue

Post by Mud Dog »

The problem is almost guaranteed to be the wiper shaft bushes that are dry / dirty / corroded and have become stiff. This puts a considerable load on the motor. Just take some WD40 or Q20 and spray it onto the wiper shafts where the wiper arms connect. Lift the little cups first and try get the spray on the shafts where they exit the bushes.

Repeat 2 or 3 times at about 30sec intervals and try your wipers again. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
gotalovethebush
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

But the whole wiper assembly works fine on another vehicle which tells me the wipers are fine and it's the power being supplied that is the issue?

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

When you say "the whole wiper assembly" did that include the shafts that the wipers are attached to?

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm referring to the shafts under these caps .........
IMG_017A.JPG

gotalovethebush
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wiper assembly as per pic below...

Works in another hilux but slow and weak in mine Image

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OK then, maybe you have an electrical problem. Most likely a voltage drop of sorts, and this could be caused by a poor connection somewhere like corroded terminals on a connector or a dry joint on a soldered connection, even perhaps burnt contacts in the wiper relay itself. Not too sure where this relay will be situated in your model, but usually under the dash or behind a kick-panel - could even be in the fuse box in the engine compartment. You might be able to locate it by listening for it's click sound when the wipers are turned on and off.

Another possibility (a little less probable but not impossible) is that there is power leaking from the circuit, like a damaged or pinched wire.

Either way it's going to be a bugger to find and I would start by locating and replacing the relay. Good luck. :winkx:

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

+1 on the relay. I have found in most instances that an electrical fault is actually a mechanical fault i.e. broken wire, damaged wire, loose/corroded connection or in the case of a relay which is an electro/mecahnical device burnt or corroded contacts.

Hope you come right.
gotalovethebush
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Anyone know where the wiper relay is located?

gotalovethebush
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

And I officially give up.. I've been caught twice in the rain.. Blown load of fuses.. Swopped wipers with our other bakkie.. Can't find what's going on.

Please can anyone recommend a reliable auto electrician? Sad days... Hate anyone else touching my car, sure your guys know the feeling...

Please anyone with a reliable, good auto electrician?

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hopefully the guys up your way can assist. :winkx:

Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

I had the same issue with my 2011 Vigo end of last year. When I opened the motor, I saw a little black spot where the contacts had a short. I bent the contacts a little bit and gone was the problem. 4 months and a good rainy season so far here in George later and all is well. Hope you come right.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanx Andy, Did mine yesterday and for the first time since I bought my bakkie the wipers are working better.
I removed the wiper arms in order to properly get to the shafts.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:

Yes, you should remove the arms if it's really stiff. Those bushes are always dry and I think they're not intended to be lubed but if there is no cause to use the wipers on a regular basis then corrosion build up causes them to become stiff and the motor labours, sometimes so much so that it pops the fuse.

I find that I never have issues if every once in a while when I think about it, I just lift the arms and spray some Q20 or WD 40 (whichever I have readily available) on to the base of the shaft where it enters the bush ... I use the little pipe supplied with the spray can to get the oil in the right place without over-spraying all over and onto the windshield. Works for me. :winkx:

Return to “The Workshop”