Hub lock

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bosvark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 2200 D/C AUS specs

Hub lock

Post by Bosvark »

Can any one give me more info on driving with your hubs locked.It keeps the oil in the diff warm and helps for water corrotion.Does this use a bit more petrol.Is it safe to do this.I read an article that the guy done a test from joburg to cape town.He used a little bit more petrol.
n vark bly maar n vark
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Re: Hub lock

Post by SuidWes »

Think it will be safe but it will increase your fuel consumption and over time I suppose will lead to unnecessary wear. I lock mine only when going off road and keep it locked until I get back on the tar. Think if you lock it say once a month it should keep everything lubricated and free of any corrosion.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

SuidWes wrote: Think if you lock it say once a month it should keep everything lubricated and free of any corrosion.
I rather do it weekly or bi weekly. Just an excuse to drive in the sand for a while.
Coopraider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Muizenberg
Vehicle: 97 2.8 D

Post by Coopraider »

Hi Lux's

For what it's worth my theory is : leave the hubs unlocked, select 4 wd and give everything a bit of a spin, splash lubricate everything and not let seals "settle" in a single position allowing diff oil to leak into the Birfield housing mixing with the grease and oozing out - making a hell of a mess.

Otherwise 4 WD every day!!!!!!!!!1
Niel

Post by Niel »

Coop
Coopraider wrote:Otherwise 4 WD every day!!!!!!!!!1
I like your suggestion if only the every day did not dictate.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Spoke to a chap this week end that told me that he "always keep the hubs locked" to ensure they are well lubricated. This includes tar driving. What is your opinion?
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Mine is in 4x4 most weekends other wize she stands during the week anyway however all you have to do is select 4H every now and then leaving the hubs unlocked this should be enough to move the oil around diff oil has a very high viscosity so once a month should be enough. :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Justin,

isn't this the other way round... stay in 2H but lock the hubs at front? No harm will be done other than a slight increase in fuel consumption. But do not mix 4H, locked front hubs & tar roads, that is a bad mixture!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

I agree FD thats why I said 4H with hubs unlocked :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilex

Post by Zantus »

Some manufacturer's manuals actually say you shouldn't drive in 4wd with the hubs unlocked, not the other way around!!!
Driving with the hubs locked is mostly for fuel consumptions purposes only. If you look at older landies and jeeps, they never had freewheel hubs. I had a S2A landy and on that I opened the front axle to check the wear on the crownwheel and there was hardly any wear. I checked with the previous owner and that axle hasn't been opened in at least 15 years. This leads me to believe that driving with the hubs locked and in 2wd drive....even for many years, will cause very little wear.
Barto de Koning
2008 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 Clubcab
4x4 Trail & Overland Guide - GP3442
http://www.4x4tec.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

You can lock either the hubs or select 4H but not both on tar.

Neil

If Toyota wanted you to drive with it on all the time they would not have installed the locking mechanism in the first place. I do believe that you need to have the diff and side shafts rotate at least once a month but 5-10kms or so is way more than adequate.

Sometimes the front diffs, front prop, and sides shafts are not balanced that perfect anymore. it would not bother if you keep below 60km/h but if you drive faster it will definitely start vibrating which will cause unnecessary wear and tear.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Bennie I agree :mrgreen:

Return to “The Workshop”