Advice required...... Hilux needing a little TLC

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
MonkeyLopes
Town: Jhb
Vehicle: 1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 D/C

Advice required...... Hilux needing a little TLC

Post by MonkeyLopes »

Hi,

I'm having a few issues with my 1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC. It has done 236 000km, and looking for someone who can assist. I have taken it into dealers, but they do not seem to find the problem or the problem does not occur when I take it to them. I live in JHB area.

Problem 1:- When pulling off car does not want to go, and it feels like the wheels are locked / jammed. If you reverse are push the peddle a little harder (Which I hate doing) the vehicle jumps forward and then you can continue.....

Problem 2:- Very LOUD irritating squeeeek sounds like metal-on-metal coming from left side front area.

The other problems are minor and can be fixed with a service.

Can anyone give advice or assist?
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Re: Advice required...... Hilux needing a little TLC

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi MonkeyLopes

Sound like the brakes are binding there are a number of possible causes.
1. Seized caliper or calipers
2. Damged flattned brake pipes
3. master cylinder faulty (sticking)
4. brake balancer faulty
5. Towboard clearance not correctly set

There are a few more but unlikely

CM
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: Advice required...... Hilux needing a little TLC

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Look at the above items, but to just add to them, maybe the rear drums are oval, maybe the shoe linings have come loose.

Check the front brake pad for thickenss, sounds like the pads are worn out and that the brake shoe pad is now metal to metal against the brake disc, if this is the case you will have to replace the front brake discs.

Do not drive your vehicle if it has brake problems like what you are experiencing, contact a local 4x4 club in your area and ask them where or who services their vehicle's.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “The Workshop”