Fuel starvation - 22R?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
ROOIWYN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: POLOKWANE
Vehicle: 1998 TOYOTA HILUX RAIDER 2.4 D/C 4X4 (22R)

Fuel starvation - 22R?

Post by ROOIWYN »

Can anyone shed some light on a recurring problem with my lux. Rooiwyn has never given me any problems offroad with relation to fueling problems at angles and slopes, but when it comes to normal driving outside of town the lux start to loose power / jerk at normal accelaration around +/- 3500RPM to 4000 RPM and then pull normal if I can pass this mark. This happens in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, but not if I should hammer the lux from low down in 2nd gear.
Any ideas?
Marius.

lux from
ImageImageImageImageImage
Goed - Beter - Beste = ROOIWYN!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Fuel starvation - 22R?

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Marius,

This is an easy one, but not so easy to fix... 3500rpm is the cross over spot between the first and second stage on the carb... so in any gear you will experience this jerkiness... it's a very common issue of on older original carb... the reason why you don't notice it when hammering the throttle in 2nd is that cross over is so much quicker and both butterflies of the carb are wide open... I had a similar issue on my lux, when it was still carb fed, the issue was fixed on the dyno... for starters get a tin of carb cleaner and clean off all the linkages on the carb body, they often get full off muck and sticky... then clean inside the carb, with the air intake off...
if this doesn't help then it may need an overhaul... if u do go this route then use a Toy original carb kit, my experience has been that the accelator pump in the pirate kits are rubbish and lead to flat spots at lower rpm.

B
badroelf
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4

Post by badroelf »

Hi Marius
Did you managed to sort out the problem with Rooiwyn. My lux got the same problem, and I cant put my finger on it. Mine started off at around 3500 rpm. But after I got the carburettor it drop down to 2500 - 3000 rpm. I have replaced the fuel pump, ignition leads, even fitted a new Dorco carburettor. Defect stays the same
Hope you can help me

Regards

Roelf
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Could be the fuel filter ??
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “The Workshop”