Auto Hubs for Hilux?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Auto Hubs for Hilux?

Post by pietpetoors »

Does one get auto hubs for a Hilux?

My Terrano had auto hubs and it makes life much easier. If you drive in 2WD and see that there is a problem ahead, you just stop, select 4WD and drive on. You do not have to get out of the vehicle to lock the hubs. This is very helpful when it is raining or in mud.

When you go back to 2WD you just stop, select 2WD, reverse for about 10 Metres and then continue with your journey.

I see the new 75 series Land Cruisers now comes with auto hubs.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Piet

Back in about 98/99 when the IFS luxes was tested before it was first launched I spoke to a guy working for Toy SA. They were investigating this route but due to too many failures with the test units they reverted back to manual locking hubs.

Maybe you can find such units in the States or Austarlia.
pietpetoors

Auto Hubs

Post by pietpetoors »

They must have improved it since because the new Land Cruiser 70 comes out standard with it now and all the Nissans, Colts, Mazdas, etc all now have auto hubs.

What about the new Hilux, do they also have Auto Hubs?
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Auto hubs

Post by Riceburner »

They break easly and you cant get 2 low with them
pietpetoors

Auto Hubs

Post by pietpetoors »

OH, OK, Thanx. It is very comfortable having autohubs but the idea of them breaking will let me get out and turn the knob.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Re: Auto Hubs for Hilux?

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Piet,

What I usually do when I tour is to lock the hubs when I think I'm going off-road, and leave the hubs like that till I start on tar again on my way home. Then you can shift on the fly between 2x4 and 4x4. Only problem is that you get wind-up if you forget to shift to 2x4 when you get on tar. A while ago I was driving on the Makgadigadi pans when I started to feel the wet mud sucking at the tyres. Remembered all the horror stories of vehicles getting bogged down for days, and saw I was still in 2x4. Quickly shifted to 4x4 and put foot, and got out. It wouldn't have been possible with auto hubs. The down-side is a possible increase in fuel consumption, but I live with that.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanks Chris, I will keep that in mind. I presume that is driving in the veld and not sommer on the gravel road?
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Piet,

Actually, it is better to drive in 4x4 on a gravel road as well. Long discussions on the kampvuur/overland forums on this topic. Better road holding.

Cheers,

Chris
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

cprinsloo wrote:Hi Piet,

Actually, it is better to drive in 4x4 on a gravel road as well. Long discussions on the kampvuur/overland forums on this topic. Better road holding.

Cheers,

Chris
I Agree. The slim manne says: you've got the 4x4 capabilities, use it.

As far as I am concerend, you can even drive on tar with the hubs locked while the transfer case is in 2H. All that will happen is that you will now have to overcome the resistance of the front axle and propshaft's bearings, so your consumption increases.

I do it often when I go play at a track, I will select 2H, leave the hubs locked until I get to the closest garage where I pump my tyres.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Bennie,

Yup, that was what I was trying to say. AFAIK one has to either lock the hubs or drive with unlocked hubs in 4x4 from time to time to rotate and lubricate all the bits in the diff and axles, that is if you don't drive in 4x4 often. The big advantage of driving with locked hubs is that one can shift between 2x4 and 4x4 up to speeds of 80 km/h. This is not possible with open hubs or auto hubs. The disadvantage is the wind-up when you forget to shift to 2x4 on tar, and the increased fuel comsumption.

Cheers,
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Apparently on the new Cruisers their is still a nut available that you can turn with a spanner if the auto hubs fail.
Shows you Toyota do nut trust them
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

cprinsloo wrote:Hi Bennie,

The big advantage of driving with locked hubs is that one can shift between 2x4 and 4x4 up to speeds of 80 km/h.

Cheers,
If seen other okes do it too but mine does no want to shift if I am not stationary.

My Pajero can switch easy while driving.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Bennie,

That's really strange. Remember that the hubs must be locked. The reason being that the front drive train must also be rotating, more or less at the same speed as the rear drive train, to avoid speed differences between the 2 sets of trains. The manual states that one doesn't even have to use the clutch. I always try to shift into 4x4 when driving in a straight line, and not much load on the drive train (freewheel a bit).
If the hubs are not locked, the front prop shaft will be stationary while the rear prop shaft is turning, they won't mesh then.

Hope it make sense. You sure the boxes are OK?

Cheers,

Chris
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

I bought the vehicle like that, but other then that it works fine. It haven't bothered me too much. I normally select 4H the moment I go off road in any case.
xuliH
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by xuliH »

Hi,

The new Hilux has auto locking hubs.
I have not had any problems so far, but it is still quite new.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Welcome xuliH

Ja I do believe that with all the advanced in technology in this day in age we should be getting it right by now.

Return to “The Workshop”