22R (2.4) Timing Chain Replacement

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

22R (2.4) Timing Chain Replacement

Post by CasKru »

I decided that this long weekend is going to be the weekend where I replace the timing chain on my bakkie. The bakkie has done just short of 150 000 and I not knowing how long you can drive with one chain, decided to change mine just in case. I took some photos of the job and the spares required:
Resize2.jpg
Item (Toyota Part Number) - Price Excl (4 Apr 2009)
Timing Chain (1350635030VP) - R 141.55
Timing Cover Gasket (1132835030) - R 87.80
Timing Cover Gasket (1132935030) - R 67.32
Crankshaft Sprocket (1352175010) - R 359.66
Camshaft Sprocket (1352335020) - R366.52
Tensioner (1354035011) - R 574.96
Damper (1356135020) - R 223.95
Damper (1356235020) - R 155.52
Oil Seal (9031145011VP) - R 89.00
6L Toyota Coolant (0888980089) - R 36.59 X 6
Rocker Cover Seal (Did not know I was going to need one so ended up buying one at Autozone today)
5L Engine Oil
Castrol Red Rubber Grease R 163

• Disconnect the battery terminals.
    Working under the vehicle loosen and remove the stone guard from the vehicle
    Drain and remove radiator
    Loosen the drive belt pulley locknut and turn the adjusting bolt anticlockwise, until the drive belt can be removed and withdraw the belt from the vehicle.
    Loosen the air conditioner adjusting bracket and remove. Also remove the AC drive belt
    Resize10Ed.jpg
    Loosen the alternator drive belt adjusting and pivot bolts and remove the drive belt
    Loosen the distributor cap and place clear of the work area
    Make a mark on the engine and the dizzy where they meet so as to be able to align afterwards.
    Using a socket and bar, turn the engine clockwise, until the mark on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the 0 mark on the timing cover and the rotor arm in the distributor is pointing to the no. 1 cylinder segment in the distributor cap. Mark the position of the rotor arm on the distributor housing.
    Loosen the distributor retaining screw and remove the distributor from the engine.
    Loosen the bolts retaining the power steering pump and place the pump to one side clear of the working area ( DO NOT DISCONNECT THE HOSES)
    Remove the bolts retaining the belt pulley bracket and remove the bracket
    Unbolt and remove the power steering pump upper and lower brackets
    Disconnect the wires from the alternator. Remove the remaining bolt holding the alternator in place and remove the alternator
    Resize14.jpg
    Remove the 4 nuts retaining the fan and coupling assembly and remove the fan and pulley
    At this stage I put the dizzy back to make sure that all is still aligned
    Resize17.jpg
    Remove the pipes and anything connected to the rocker cover. Remove the nuts and rubber seals retaining the rocker cover and remove the cover.
    Resize19.jpg
    Lock the engine in place and loosen the bolt keeping the crankshaft pulley in place. There is various methods of locking the engine in place. I took a strong piece of cotton rope and wound it around the pulley on one side and around the hook, bolted to the engine block for hoisting the engine out of the engine bay, on the other side. If you have a assistant, you can remove the starter motor and use a lever through the starter motor mounting aperture and lock the engine at the ring gear teeth.
    Ensure that the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley remains aligned with the 0 mark on the timing cover and the rotor arm in the distributor is still pointing to the No 1 segment in the distributor cap.
    Use two large screwdrivers to lever the crankshaft pulley from the crankshaft
    Resize22.jpg
    Resize22.jpg (170.86 KiB) Viewed 27965 times
    Remove the distributor again.
    If you have a mechanical fuel pump (mine don't - EFI) mark the hoses and remove the pump from the engine
    Insert a suitable lever through the camshaft sprocket to prevent it from turning. Remove the bolt retaining the distributor drive gear and fuel pump cam. Withdraw the drive gear and the cam from the camshaft.
    Resize23.jpg
    Remove the bolt retaining the cylinder head to the timing cover
    Resize24Ed.jpg
    Remove the alternator support bracket and bolts
    Remove the bolts retaining the metal heater pipe to the timing cover on the left hand side of the engine
    Resize25Ed.jpg
    Remove the timing cover retaining bolt from below the heater pipe
    Resize26Ed.jpg
    Remove the sump plug and drain the sump of all the oil. After the sump has drained replace the sump plug
    Remove bolts retaining sump and remove sump from engine. Take care not to damage the surface where the sump and engine meet.
    Resize28.jpg
    Remove the remaining bolts keeping the air conditioner compressor in place and put the compressor to one side away from the working area.
    Loosen the bolts retaining the A/C compressor bracket and remove the bracket.
    Resize31.jpg
    Resize31.jpg (186.69 KiB) Viewed 27960 times
    Using a soft faced hammer, gently tap the timing cover to break the adhesion of the gaskets. Manoeuvre the timing cover from the engine.
    Note the installation position (shoulder and teeth) of the oil pump drive sleeve and remove it from the crankshaft
    Resize33Ed.jpg
    Remove bolts retaining the chain tensioner and remove the tensioner
    Carefully prise the sprocket from the camshaft.
    Disengage the chain from the camshaft sprocket and carefully lower the chain and remove the chain from the engine.
    Noting the installation position remove the crankshaft sprocket from the engine.
    Remove the bolts retaining the timing chain guides and withdraw the guides from the engine.
    Resize40.jpg
    Place the timing cover on a soft surface and remove the oil seal from the oil pump cover and replace with new seal. Use liberal amounts of red rubber grease to grease the contact surface where the seal and crankshaft meet.
    Resize53.jpg
    Note the old seal next to the rubber grease. An easy way to remove the old seal is to drill a small hole in the seal and screw in a self tapping screw and then extract using pliers.
    Resize54.jpg
    The installation is the reversal of the removal process. There is a few things to note though.
    Renew all seals and gaskets and make sure joining surfaces is clean of previous gaskets etc.
    Install the new guides and crankshaft sprocket. Insert the timing chain and the camshaft sprocket noting to match the bright links on the chain to the marks on the sprockets.
    Resize48.jpg
    Use gasket sealant to add to the points where the timing cover, engine block and cylinder head meet. (see following photo)
    Resize50Ed.jpg

Like I said previously I'm not sure at what mileage one is supposed to change the chain. I compared the old chain with the new chain and if I hanged then side by side the older chain was about 2mm longer. Then there was the tensioner. Below is a comparative photo of old versus new
Resize38Ed.jpg
The rest of the guides and sprockets still looked in good nick.
The whole job took me about two days (with interruptions) and this is how you look like after day 1
Resize58.jpg
Resize57.jpg
And last but not least, my assistant, quality inspector and advisor..
Resize56.jpg
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 22R (2.4) Timing Chain Replacement

Post by Family_Dog »

Excellent report Cassie, and a job well done!

Have made it a "Sticky".

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Looks like that job was a bit of a mission .... a lot to be stripped just to access the chain. Whew! Rather you than me! :D
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S. almost as bad as a B M Trouble U motor. :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Thanks guys. Must say halve way through I wondered what got in to me :? But now I'm glad I did it and I know everything is genuine Toyota. Don't have to wonder if the mechanic used cheap gaskets etc. :D:

All I can add is that it is much quicker and easier to replace a timing belt on a 1300 2E motor :twisted: (my old conquest)
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Wow, I had no idea the 22R's timing chain is such a mission to replace! Thank goodness I got a 4Y, 2 hours work including interuptions... and so few parts!

Well done! I refitted my dash on Saturday, also a lot more work than I thought... got started at 1pm, finish at 12.10 the morning...

B :thumbup:
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Mooi Cas. Wanneer os ek my bakkie vir n naweek daar by jou?
ImageImage
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

lekker report, better than HAYNES manual :clap: :lol: :lol:
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ToyX4 wrote:Mooi Cas. Wanneer os ek my bakkie vir n naweek daar by jou?
Jy kan hom hier los..... jy gaat hom net self moet was as ek klaar by Chloorkop was :twisted: :twisted:
2.8 d/cab SFA wrote:lekker report, better than HAYNES manual :clap: :lol: :lol:
:D: :thumbup:
To God be the glory
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

My bakkie s'n moet ook gedoen word.
Sal my report ook dan post (invoice scan en post :D: )
ImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ToyX4 wrote:My bakkie s'n moet ook gedoen word.
Sal my report ook dan post (invoice scan en post :D: )
Go Riaan go..... you can do it! :twisted:
To God be the glory
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Het jy enige defekte op die ketting gesien toe jy hom uitgehaal het,en hoe het jy geweet jy moet hom vervang.Toyota kan my nie n reguit antwoord gee nie.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Johan, you would usually hear when a timing chain is clattering. This happens once the chain has stretched a little and the tensioner guide pad is worn down. This results in the spring of the tensioner becoming relaxed to the point where it no longer is able to maitain a taut chain. One would need to neglect it for a very long time, becoming very noisy, before it gets slack enough to jump a tooth on the sproket, which may cause engine damage (pistons / valves).

cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Cassie,

Excellent report, please mods, make it a sticky!! Apparently when the chain is too long for the tensioner, one can hear it clattering against the housing, it can chew through and then you have big trouble.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Hey guys. Unfortunately there is no clear way of determining the correct mileage on a chain. On mine I some times heard a clattering noise when the engine was cold and that was about it. But as Chris says, if the chain becomes to loose it can jump a tooth or actually start to eat through the other guides and the the engine wall.

On mine the tensioner was I think at the end of life but the guides practically was almost brand new but I replaced them anyway seeing that I had the motor open.

To inspect the chain, if you already removed it, is to take a vernier and measure the distance on a taut chain between 18 pins / rollers on the chain at three different places on the chain. If the distance at any of the three spots exceed 147mm you have to replace the chain.
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Here is a how to inspect the chain...
Inpect.jpg
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

legend35 wrote:Het jy enige defekte op die ketting gesien toe jy hom uitgehaal het,en hoe het jy geweet jy moet hom vervang.Toyota kan my nie n reguit antwoord gee nie.
Johan

Willem Grimsel (3RZ) sal beter weet maar sover ek kan onthou pla die 3RZ se timing chain nie soos 'n 22R sin nie. Meeste engines se chains word normaalweg vervang as jy die motor oordoen tensy jy hom hoor raas maar op die 22R het baie ouens al issues gehad. Maar ek is seker jy kan maar rustig slaap.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

O ja Cassie well done.

EK moet sê Cassie like 'n challenge, met 'n vrou wat 7 maande swanger is tackle hy wragtig toe nog die job, toe ek vandag daar by hom aankom het die ou nogal heel uitgeput gelyk.
Boss2
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2 x 2 voete

Post by Boss2 »

:clap: :clap: Well done!

Maybe in the interest of science you should also do a KZTE :twisted:

When I do mine I can "call a friend"!
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Dankie vir die info.Daar is baie inligting oor cam belts maar min oor die timing chain.Goed gedoen Cassie.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Excellent Report Cassie and Job Well Done :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

It looks like a similar procedure to a Nissan Hardbody; a serious mission nê :shock:

Mine broke a plastic guide rail and I only tackled the job after driving it another 2000kms; the chain had eaten into the crank casing so badly that it had to be seriously welded up which cost me more than the genuine parts. :o:

Basically a good rule of thumb is; It's never too early to change a camchain :!: :!: :Geek:

Peace of mind is under-rated nê :wink:

Job Well Done Cas :mrgreen:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Thanks Guys :)

The bakkie also idles smoother, feels like it has a little more power (not sure about this one, could be the colder weather) and much more peace of mind :)
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Cas,

You are not imagining things, valve timing is super critical, and as the timing chain/gear teeth wear the tolerances go out of spec, and so the valve timing suffers, which is manifest in a slight loss of power/torque... fitting the new timing chain and gear bring this all back to spec...

B :thumbup:
Nardus
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 1989 4x4 Dc
Club VHF Licence: XR98

Post by Nardus »

were there any noises and what did it sounds like that convinced you to do the operation
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Nardus wrote:were there any noises and what did it sounds like that convinced you to do the operation
There was the odd noise emitting on start-up but not really anything that really bothered me. The main reason I did it is because my bakkie has seen a lot of off road driving and the kilometers on the odo is much less than the engine "actually did" working off road and for peace of mind.

I could probably have done another 50000 km without any problems.
To God be the glory
michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux

Post by michael01 »

Great Report!!!!!

But gets me thinking that my Hilux is sitting on 179 000km and i don't know if the timing chain has ever been changed....... :shock2: :shock2: and also thinking of it i have though for a while now that it feels slightly under powered..... :evil:

gonna price all the parts tomorrow and then find someone that can do it...... now that's the question, any suggestions lol
ImageImageImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

michael01 wrote:Great Report!!!!!

But gets me thinking that my Hilux is sitting on 179 000km and i don't know if the timing chain has ever been changed....... :shock2: :shock2: and also thinking of it i have though for a while now that it feels slightly under powered..... :evil:

gonna price all the parts tomorrow and then find someone that can do it...... now that's the question, any suggestions lol
I would suggest Louis (4x4megaworldpta on the forum). He is in Pretoria and always does an excellent job.
To God be the glory
_chris_
Vehicle: Hilux D/C 2700

Post by _chris_ »

Hello Hiluxers!
i recently acquired a 2003 Hilux 2700i 4x2. It's done 156000km and is still in overall great condition. I've asked around about the timing chain replacement and also read on this forum and others because the timing chain hasn't been replaced on my car. From everything I've heard/read, the chain should last for ages. Others say it should only be replaced if necessary, in the words of the person at McCarthy: when it starts sounding like a diesel...
The thing is, when the engine is warm, it does sound a little bit like a diesel :wth: at the current mileage, the chain should still be perfectly fine so any ideas what would be causing this sound? or is the sound normal?

Your advice would be appreciated!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

I have been hearing a very faint noise coming from the front of my motor. I replaced the bearing on the jockey pulley and the noise was still there, so I decided to replace the timing chain. Got all the spares in the week ( from Gemini Parts ). The quality is not bad at all. Today I started to do the job, after reading this thread, I was not looking forward to the task at hand but it had to be done for peace of mind. I am sorry that I did not take any photos :frustrated: but after I got it all stripped I had the shock of my life and did not even think of photos. Dalux has almost 200 000 Km on the clock, and I do not know if it has been replaced before. The guide on the right hand side( the long one) was almost non existent. There was almost no damage to the casing :o I still cannot believe how lucky I am. All back together now and running like a dream. Had a bit of help from a friend of mine who is a mechanic. To all our friends out there, if you are unsure about your timing chain, do not wait too long to have it replaced. I was just one lucky person, as I said there was only a small noise when it was cold. Sorry again that I did not take photos.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for the report Roger! :thumbup:

I cannot of course say with certainty, but with the wear you describe the chances are that the chain was never replaced before. Glad you caught it in the nick of time. I don't know what the manual says, but I would imagine you should safely get about 150 000 km on a chain .... a belt is of course a different matter (100 000km max).

;-)

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:Thanks for the report Roger! :thumbup:

I cannot of course say with certainty, but with the wear you describe the chances are that the chain was never replaced before. Glad you caught it in the nick of time. I don't know what the manual says, but I would imagine you should safely get about 150 000 km on a chain ....a belt is of course a different matter (100 000km max).

;-)
Not so Andy... The 4afe motors belt only need replacement every 150 000km :thumbup:
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I wouldn't take that chance ..... most motors that use a belt are OHC, and if that belt snaps or starts to jump teeth .... well, eina, lets not even go there ...... I've seen some messes where the belt didn't last anywhere near 150k. So even if they say 150k life, I'd be a lot happier replacing it early. Just my opinion. ;-)

DuneSurfer
Town: Windheok
Vehicle: SFA Hilux

Post by DuneSurfer »

Hi all,

Great write up.. New to the 4x4 scene, recently bought a SFA Hilux :D: Very happy with it but need to attend to a few things. The biggest one being the timing chain.

Was told it has to be replaced. I got a quote of R9500, is this normail? Parts cost R4600 and requires 10 hours of labour.

Thanks
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

DuneSurfer wrote:Hi all,

Great write up.. New to the 4x4 scene, recently bought a SFA Hilux :D: Very happy with it but need to attend to a few things. The biggest one being the timing chain.

Was told it has to be replaced. I got a quote of R9500, is this normail? Parts cost R4600 and requires 10 hours of labour.

Thanks
Sounds about right time wise... Can't recall the pricing on the parts but don't think it came close to R4600.
To God be the glory
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Nope. Not that much for parts. The Chain, Guides,tensioner and few gaskets is usually the parts that have to be replaced. The gears are usually hard and always measure to specification.

Parts should be nothing more than R1800. The labour, well that is a different story, 10 hours will be correct.
lovetowrenchit
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Griffin
Vehicle: 1988 Toyota 4x4 truck

Post by lovetowrenchit »

Great write up! subscribed for future reference:)
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

lovetowrenchit wrote:Great write up! subscribed for future reference:)
Awesome. It's now 5 years later and all is still working perfectly
To God be the glory

Return to “The Workshop”