Info needed 88 Hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 88 Hilux DC/4x4, 77 Jeep CJ7 V8, 2010 Jeep Rubicon Unl, 2011 Rubicon 2dr

Info needed 88 Hilux

Post by BlindBeggar »

This is my 1st post on this forum :wave: . I recently bought an old 1988 Hilux 4x4 DC and are currently fixing all the little problems on the vehicle. Although most are small problems I found that the bush/bearing at the rear of the transfer is worn and leaking oil….is it a big job to fix this and are the parts available? From what I have read on this forum, it is an “import spec” Hilux since it has the vertical rear light. How is it different to the “Local spec” bakkie?.......does it use the same transfer…..diffs..Etc? I am planning to fit a roll-bar and side bars……does it use the same as the “local spec” Hilux?. The standard engine was replaced with an Essex V6 Ford engine (JT conversion), unfortunately I have no idea what gearbox was used. What gearboxes were commonly used for these conversions?.....All that I know is that it is 5-speed and takes 5L of oil..!!! I will also appreciate it if someone can give me an indication of the diff and transfer ratios……Sorry for all the questions. :silent:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Info needed 88 Hilux

Post by ThysdJ »

Welkom Andre, I hope you enjoy your stay here on the forum.. I am sure you will find all the answers here. :thumbup: :thumbup: The G'box would most probabaly be a standard Hilux one.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Andre' wecome to the forum. :thumbup:
You will undoubtedly get all the info you're looking for here. Firstly I'm not sure you have the import, mine's a '90 model with the tail lights horizontal below the tail gate and it's the import. Diff ratios are varied between the two and besides for a few cosmetic differences they're pretty much the same thing. The ford 3 lit conversions usually made use of the original gearbox / tranfer box ... I would doubt that yours has been changed. Parts / seals are still readily available, but I'm not sure how big a job it is or what's involved, I've not yet had to do it. Roll bars / bull bars etc fit both local & import.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The import diffs make use of a 'third member'. i.e. to access the crown & pinion, the whole assembly is removed on the driveshaft side. There is no 'bolt on' cover plate at the rear of the diff, it is sealed.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Welcome BlindBeggar!

First of all, being blind are you allowed to drive? And how did you, as a beggar, afford a Hilux? :twisted:

I've got an 87' import, the orginal roll bars are very scarce and when you do find them, they are usually lying rusted to pieces in some okes back garden... I used a 98' mitsubishi's roll bar, just made up 2 mounting plates so it could fit securely on the load bin.

B :thumbup:
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 88 Hilux DC/4x4, 77 Jeep CJ7 V8, 2010 Jeep Rubicon Unl, 2011 Rubicon 2dr

Post by BlindBeggar »

:lol: ....i became a BlindBeggar due to my "Other" project vehicle where the spares shops robbed me blind and left me as a beggar :eh:
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by BlindBeggar »

....the diffs have the bolts on the "pinion casing", no covers on the back. Are there any advantages/disadvantages with these diffs? Is the SOA on the old SFA Hiluxes standard.....must say i like that :clap: . Does the standard gearbox take 5l of oil.......or did i put it into the wrong place :shock: :oops:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

....the diffs have the bolts on the "pinion casing", no covers on the back. Are there any advantages/disadvantages with these diffs?
Yep that's the import diff. I don't know that there are any advantages although I've heard it said they were a better quality. One thing that may be disadvantageous is that you have to pull the half-shafts before the third member is released, and fitting lockers is a bit more of a mission.
By SOA I assume you're refferring to "steering over axle". To the best of my knowledge these would have been modifications, sometimes called cross-over steering.

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Andre

Welkom man :thumbup:

but

Peekchaz, peekchaz, peekchaz asblf :!: :!:

R :wink:
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by BlindBeggar »

...no, with SOA i was reffering to "spring over axel" . I will try to include pics of OD1 and OD2 (names given by my wife - OD= Over Dose!)
Attachments
jeepsmall.JPG
IMG_9885.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Of course! .... what was I thinking!! :sick:
Yes. Spring over axle was standard on all SFA's. :wink:
Nice looking Lux BTW, good condition for an old girl! :D: :thumbup:

duppa
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: '96 hilux dbl cab

Post by duppa »

nice lux - isnt it the one that was advertised "sold out my dads estate"? if it is, its a very nice buy
ImageImageImageImage
Hiluxcrazy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Simonstown
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 EFI

Post by Hiluxcrazy »

Hi there!!

I am also an import hilux owner (1989). This is what I have found:

1) You can`t fit a gearmax diff loc to that diff
2) Most people agree the import diffs are of a better quality - the ratio is different but i`m not sure exactly what it is :oops:
3) Replacing that seal is very easy indeed- You can pick it up easily from midas. Remove 4 bolts on rear prop by the flange (14 spanner), then get a big fat ratchet onto the lock nut on back of the transfer (30 socket I think). Put the vehicle in 5th gear, high renge 4wd and get someone to put foot on the brake. If it still won`t budge, try this trick : put transfer in L4 but keep hubs free. Wedge socket tightly up against body of the bakkie. Get someone sensible to start engine, put in 1st low, and release clutch slowly. The transfer will basically undo the nut for you. Just be sure you are loosening, not tightening!!

Cheers
HILUXCRAZY
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm open to correction but I think the ratio is 4.875

Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Andre
Daai Jeep van jou lyk baie goed een dag as ek groot is..... :thumbup: Welkom maattie, en as die Jeep tekoop raak onthou my asb :wink:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

BlindBeggar...

That canopy doesn't look good on your lux... not nice at all... rather take it off.. and fit a alucab...

But don't throw the canopy away...

I'll take it... pay you handsomely... and you can remove beggar from your username...

Sound good? Does to me!

:twisted:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hi

As far as I have seen up to now all Hiluxes except the last Diesel models (that came with the 2.8D motor) had 4.875 (AKA 4.88) ratios does not matter if it was import or local. The dieses used 4.55. I see now on Maruis' rooiwyn with the 2.7 conversion the ratios with 31 tyres give you about 120km'h at just over 3000RPM and 140km/h in the area of 3500 RPM. where normally 3500 RPM would be closer to 120km/h and 4000RPM closer to 140km/h

Riceburner Syron Conversions Hoppy or Blom may be the only ones who can help you wit transfer case ratios but yeah I am pretty sure your baby has 4.875 diffs. The import spec rear diff can not take a gearmax locker but it can take all the overseas types. It uses 30 spline side shafts as opposed to 27 spline and is considered stronger as it is thicker. Bullbars and towbars will be the same but the rollbars will have to be modified as the wheel arch cover inside the loadbin differs where the rear pipe mounts. Canopies for local and import differs too since the import loadbin was about 5cm shorter.

Yeah Spring over Axle a standard feature of theses luxes. Enjoy
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by BlindBeggar »

.....thanx for all the replies :mrgreen: .....Yes Dupa....i'm not sure if it was advertised on this forum, i found the ad on the 4x4community (the photo is actualy one the seller took). The Toyota part of the bakkie is in a very good condition...but i had some problems with the engine. The compresion on the nr1 cylinder was very low and was causing a misfire so i had to redo the valves and heads. The only other problems is/was: No thermostat on engine (fixed), broken rear window winder (fixed), alarm/cental locking not working (fixed), heat guage not working and transfer leaking oil (very slow leak...it is not dripping oil).....Total cost so far (including service) = > R2000 (That is what i like about the Ford Essex engine....cheap to fix :lol: )..................
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by BlindBeggar »

Snipes - You will be glad to hear i already took the canopy off....must say the dogs enjoy it very much...you know what they say about "dogs living in fiberglass canopies" :lol:

Spatan - Ek is seker as jy my vrou vra....verkoop sy die Jeep more...(hy is die oorsprinklike OD). Ek is mal oor hom.....die geluid van 'n 400ci Chevy V8 is "priceless!!!!"
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

BlindBeggar wrote:Spatan - Ek is seker as jy my vrou vra....verkoop sy die Jeep more...(hy is die oorsprinklike OD). Ek is mal oor hom.....die geluid van 'n 400ci Chevy V8 is "priceless!!!!"
Wat is haar nommer :twisted: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by BlindBeggar »

...al druk jy stomp tande-stokkies onder my vingernaels in sal ek nie se nie..... :silent:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

BlindBeggar wrote:...al druk jy stomp tande-stokkies onder my vingernaels in sal ek nie se nie.....
:lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup: n man se goed is n man se goed :lol: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan

Return to “The Workshop”