Power Steering pump

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4P Raider DC Hilux

Power Steering pump

Post by d4d »

Seems I have pump issues, first the A/C pump now the Power steering pump
making a noise, for while now, but traced it to a pully bearing, that replace, noise still there and
can nou be pin pointed to the power steering pump.

Cant say it became loaded over time,

Was Quoted inc VAT R2100 to recon my pump. Does this sound like the going rate.

They say, rather not drive it like it otherwise the shaft can break and then more expensive
to fix. ? :shock:
1996 SFA Hilux DC 2.4P 4x4
2005 D4D 2.5 SRX DC 4x4 - SOLD
1988 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 HT - SOLD
1993 SFA Hilux SC 2.4D 4x4 - SOLD
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Power Steering pump

Post by d4d »

New Pump from Agents is R2700 incl, but then a fitment place still need to add labour, guess it needs to be bleeded and not a straight forward fitment.

Any Advise on the most cost effective way, dont want to redo this later....

eish !!! :wink:
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Have you thought about doing it yourself? There are kits available to recon the pump and while I understand this might be bit technical for some it is cheaper.
Having said that, if you don't do it properly you could end up doing it again.
BUT... removing and replacing the PS Pump is not a hard job and bleading is just a case of filling the resevoir, running the engine at 1000RPM or less and turning the SW from lock to lock a few times till the correct level is obtained.

If it were me and I didn't have the knowhow to overhaul it myself but I could remove the old one, I would buy the new OE pump for the extra bucs and replace it myself to save the labour costs. Then you know you have a brand new pump and you wont need to worry about how it was overhauled by you or anyone else.

Just M2cW
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Buy the new pump, but also remember to fit a new filter and new oil if the system has a filter.
When I had my pump reconditioned it cost me R 2 500. Yes lots of money, but much less compared to the price of a new one of this same model.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Henry
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Henry »

My power steering pump also started making funny noises about 2 weeks ago. I was quoted R 2813.52 for a new pump from the agents. I then took off the pump to see if I could get a pirate pump somewhere else. Well with the pump removed I saw that at the rear there was a sligt leak of oil. I then got a kitt from the agents at about R 750.00 . I stripped the pump and saw that the leak was on a sort of cup that was held in place by a circlip. This was actually where the pump was sucking air and then making a noise. R 2500.00 sounds a bitt hectic for a overhaul only. Suggest you strip the pump and see what is worn and get a quote on the parts needed. Other option I would do is go for the new pump at the agents.Just finished mine before the rugby and drove it today for about 50 km without any noise or leaks.

Rgds

Henry
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

d4d it also depends on how long you can do without your vehicle, before you strip the pump, make sure that the agents have the kit in stock for you. Otherwise your vehicle might be out of service for a few days
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by d4d »

Thanks guys, I have another Car I can drive with though, just hectic as I'm in JHb again for a week next week and this week is chaos..

Mine is actually not leaking oil or making sucking noise, more like metal sound, but you have to listen very carefully as it comes by making the noise 4 - 5 time and then go away en few seconds later again 4-5 times. Only 163K on the clock, no noise on turning and feels even, still feels like a new cars power steering..

Will pop in at Rob Hidraulics in the morning to get an opinion, dont want to fix something thats not really the problem, but the oke working on my car I trust, dats what he says.

just funnt, if you lie under the car its sound if its coming from the tranny, but when your at engine bay, you here it there as well.

Should probably take the Fan belt for power steering off and listen then, that will for sure pin point it if the belts removed and the noise gone to.

I guess power steering system must also be services on regular basis ? This just draining the
fluid and re-fil, or must it be flushed with some kind of chemical other than the normal 50cc days where everything was done with a bak full of petrol.... hehe :mrgreen:
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by d4d »

Oh Yess, and forgot to mention, I reckon its the bearing of the p/s pump.
or what ever is connected to the pulley internally, as the frequenzy of the
as the 4-5 noises increase faster as the engine revs increase,

With the bonnet closed and idling one can barely here it in front of the car,

The sound almost reminds me of my 8V CTi Golf where some of them made a similar
noise where the timing belt touched the cam belt plastic cover one every few revolutions.
When driving, cant here a thing, does nog seem to go louder with engine revs...

Anyway, thought I'll add that..
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by d4d »

Hey Henry, what was in your kit that you bought from the agents.
They send me a fax with all the parts, as they tell me you have to buy the parts seperate, they only kit available is ONLY a Gasket kit.

So I recon I'll have to replace the gaskets anyway, do one just fit the gaskets or do I have to use some specific gasket sealer with the gaskets ?
Guess the others are O-rings, I suspect the Bearing that goes around the Pulley shaft...

See, that I just have to move steering and fill resevoir, that enough to get the air out, I only now how to bleed a Radiator, hehe. Normal ATF oil fine for SFA or some other spec required.

Appreciate all the help....
If its makes financial sense, I have to attemp this my self, still have that A/C to fix as well... :roll:
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by d4d »

Price from Agents

Bearing R193, Clip R15
and Gasket Set R960

They say 99% of the time its just the bearing that go's but obviously one needs to replace the
gaskets..

How heavy is the turning on your lux's cuz they say if the Roter is worn the steering will not be so light, but then again we run 31" tyres etc. Mine is not as feather light as my 180i Gle, but dont think its heavy, or is there some of you okes that can turn your 31 and 33" wheels by
the pinky.... :mrgreen:
Henry
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Henry »

The turning on my SW is very light. The kitt consisted only of o rings, main seal and circlips. I used normal ATF in mine. If you are going to recon the pump yourself just post a reply and I will explain to you the one little hassle.
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by d4d »

Tx Henry, think i'm going to attemp myself yes, any special tools require, from the Diag does not look like it though.
Did you drain all the fluid, pipe from steering box etc.

Maybe I should replace the Roter as well then, dont know the price, how old was your pump
and km done before you did the overhaul ?

Tx Henry, appreciate the info..
Henry
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Henry »

Mine has done 240000 km. No special tools are required. Only a medium size circlip plier and a few spanners will do the job
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

And you will be requiring a Camera for the digital photos showing how to do it for your intended DIY article, plaese! :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Henry
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Henry »

When you have taken off the pump start by splitting it. Now you will found the rotor inside. Just be very careful as this rotor has loose little plates ( vanes) that can get lost easily. On the side where your banjo bolt fits you will see a fitting that can be unscrewed as well. If you take out this fitting you will find a kind of a plunger inside. Take this plunger out and you will find a spring underneath it. Take the spring out and you will notice that the plunger and spring actually fits in a hole right through the pump. Now for the cautious part. When you turn the pump around you will see that on the other end of this hole there is a little washer that is held in place by a circlip. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THIS CIRCLIP AND WASHER UNLESS IT IS LEAKING THERE. This washer is actually made of aluminium with a groove in for a o ring. Mine was leaking there and when I tried to remove it I broke this washer. So please be careful. Luckily I had a stripped pump for spares.
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by d4d »

Thanks Henry, spoke to another chap now, he says what they normally find is that
when the bearing starts to make a noise it damages the shaft, so they have the
shaft chromed to make sure its smooth again.

No I'm having 2nd thoughts on just replacing the seal without re-profiling the shaft.
Dont want to strip and find the shaft needs attention and then have to find place to
attend to the shaft .... :shock:

If it starts to leak at the shaft later on, its a R960 pop again for gasket set

Guess the Question is whats the chances...

Koch quoted me R1860 incl vat, incl re-profiling shaft, new oil and labour en complete check.
subtract R960, R193 and R15 (parts at Toyota) and oil, its about R600 for labour, oil and reprofiling.
Not bad, would like to do this my self and post pics, :mrgreen:
but worried that the shaft might need attention

Chances ?
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

I would find out what they would charge to re-profile the shaft on it's own and then decide.
You can still save money by doing yourself and gain the experience at the same time.

I would strip it and have a look, you might be pleasantly suprised. Remember, workshops will generally tell you more than you need to know.
What I mean by that is, they will try and scare you into letting them do the job for them to make money. While this is not always a bad thing, it can stop you from learning a great deal.

I just overhauled my carb for R200 (kit & carb cleaner) and a few hours, the same job would've cost alot more had I taken it to a workshop. If there was anything wrong with the butterfly shafts etc I would've taken it to a shop after removal and had them fix only that problem.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by d4d »

Wise words scooter, I'm a very technical oke, will try allot of things, they noise is just
strange. One garage told me that the sound does not seem to come from the
pump, but I took it in just that they can fault find first as the sound is traveling
as mentioned, lying under the car you here it there, in front there and its very soft.

I'm also busy with work this whole week after-hours and next week in JHB, will make
a call once I receive some more info wrt to where its coming from.
Told them to remove the belt and run again, to rule the pump out

Work is alway in between the fun stuff, rather sit in the garage stripping a pump than
doing my day job.... :?

I will only fit OE parts on this pump, but interesting to know, you dont even get
pirate parts for this pumps, strange hey, thought for a model range used for decades
there will be something available.. well this is what i'm told..
But hey I dont want pirate parts on my steering system though, eish....

Return to “The Workshop”