diesel troubles

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: perth
Vehicle: 1991 hilux surf with 31" kuhmo kl71's

diesel troubles

Post by Tinman »

hey guys
i have a 2.4 TDI hilux surf, it had bad starting problems, i ran a wire to the glow plugs and it started straight away, however there is a shortage of power until the engine gets nice and hot and it blows white smoke when you rev any higher than about 1500, its had new injectors, new injector pump, reconed turbo. its only doing short trips and never gets worked paticularly hard, i was considering adding the decarbonizer to the fuel and doing an engine oil flush to try and remove anything that is coursing things to stick and give low compression. the next step was get the injectors looked at.
its done 178k however most probably were at idle.

any thoughts appreciated
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: diesel troubles

Post by Mr_B »

Black smoke = poor burning of/running too rich - diesel
White smoke = oil burning - bad valve stem seals or piston rings - sump compression
Grey smoke, water spluttering out exhaust = water in cylinder - possible leaking head gasket

Do a compression test at cold and hot, if the figures vary too much then only real remedy is new rings, maybe a total engine rebuild...

B :wink:
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tinman »

compressions was fine last time i checked. but it could have glazed abit by now
and its a diesel smell not an oil smell, remember with diesels when they don't burn all the fuel they put out white/grey smoke unlike a petrol, and the fact that when u disconnect the map sensor it puts out much less smoke. thats why i was leaning more to glazing or sticking valves or to much fuel going in.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Have the injectors tested first, you should replace the tips every 100 000 km/60 000 miles
We had similar problems with diesels that ran low RPM's for extended periods, you can either take it on a long trip and let it work hard , or run it on a dyno while spraying a little water into the inlet.
Most later model diesels use an "afterglow" function on the glow plugs, the glow plugs will stay on for about 2 minutes after start up and then activate every time you "floor" it before it reached opperating temp, this will happen up to 10min after start up to clear excess smoking.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tinman »

yeah i was planing on getting the injectors serviced the could be dripping.
of late if been starting up and holding the glow plug button down and then flooring it up a hill in the morning to try and get rid of any glazing. i have noticed its abit better in the morning. today i also added an additive that claimed it gets rid of glazing. nxt week i will do an oil change and run it on some cheap light wheight stuff for abit then wack in a heavier penrite and add some more of the additive. then get the injectors checked. hopefully all of this helps and gives it abit more power and no morning troubles.
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tinman »

hey guys
compression is now at 450ish even in all cylinders when hot, it appears to be running better over all, still slight lack of power when cold and miss firing but i think it could be the fuel draing back over nite because theres no white smoke any more. any ideas what could be causing the drain? and how to chek if it is definatly draining?

Return to “The Workshop”