Rear diff oil seal

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
HiluxJunkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg MP
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux DC 4x4 2.7i Raider
Club VHF Licence: N15

Rear diff oil seal

Post by HiluxJunkie »

I had my rear diff overhauled (new crown wheel and pinion) but now there is a oil leak where the prop shaft goes into the rear diff. The shop who did the diff also did the bearing and seal where the p/shaft enters the rear diff. I want to fix it myself because I stripped my m$%^&## for the shop who repaired the diff as they stuffed up my p/shaft centre bearing (don't trust them anymore ). I do have the workshop manual. Anything special I should know and look out for while doing this job? Probably best to buy OE parts, but what must I buy. Just a seal or is there some other parts involved as well.
2001 2.7i DC 4x4 Raider. REAL MEN FOLLOW JESUS AND STILL HAVE FUN!
ImageImageImageImageImage
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: Rear diff oil seal

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Do you have a torque wrench?
You need to use one when you tighten the pinion nut which must be a new one that you must buy from the agents otherwise the pre-load will be incorrect.

Somtimes when the pinion flange is removed, you will see a thin groove where the seal lip runs, if this groove is deep then you have two options.
1. buy a new pinion flange last price was about R600.
2. have the flange re-sleeved, would cost about R200.

Before you fit the new OE seal smear a little oil over it, then fit it to the pinion housing, so that the flat part is flush with the lip of the pinion housing.

Also buy some new 90 A gear oil, remember you must drain the diff before you remove the pinion flange.
Depending if you have an inpact air tool, you might have to get two other bolts and nuts and a flat lever to stop the flange from turning while you try to loosen the pinion nut, you must remmebr that once you have torqued it to the correct torque that you lock the tab into the hole on the pinion threaded section or this nut will loosen and cause you more grief.

Depending on the condition of the splines you may experience difficulty of removing the pinion flange, if so, you can make a puller, if you do not know how to make a puller, then just phone me on my cell
082 499 1924 and I will explain to you have to make a puller.
It is straight foreward to do this job, if you find that there is no groove in the pinion flange, you must then have your propshaft balanced, check that the U-Bolts are tightened correctly.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “The Workshop”