What Lockers would you fit to a SFA, and why?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Datsun & Nissan 4x4

Re: What Lockers would you fit to a SFA, and why?

Post by Engel »

CasKru wrote:
Riceburner wrote:Maybe we should plan a showdown, Bennie with a lockerless lux and someone with twin lockers?
I don't think the argument here is that a vehicle without lockers has better capability than one without.
.....behalwe in n datsun

a vehicle with flex is much more stable than a vehicle with no flex and sometimes better offroad. There is no skill in just throwing lockers in a vehicle and just hammering it. The driver of a vehicle makes up for a lot of the vehicles abilities and not always lockers. Its the male ego thing. Mine can go where you cant and to protect that some stick lockers in. Cassie and myself usually go without using lockers and that is when you learn to drive
For anything offroad: herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Pofadder recovery kits @ wholesale prices
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Engel wrote:................. Mine can go where you cant...........
That sounds like Simoan :twisted:
ImageImage
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Ry die vyand
Club VHF Licence: B01

Post by Castos »

Engel wrote:
CasKru wrote:
Riceburner wrote:Maybe we should plan a showdown, Bennie with a lockerless lux and someone with twin lockers?
I don't think the argument here is that a vehicle without lockers has better capability than one without.
.....behalwe in n datsun

a vehicle with flex is much more stable than a vehicle with no flex and sometimes better offroad. There is no skill in just throwing lockers in a vehicle and just hammering it. The driver of a vehicle makes up for a lot of the vehicles abilities and not always lockers. Its the male ego thing. Mine can go where you cant and to protect that some stick lockers in. Cassie and myself usually go without using lockers and that is when you learn to drive

So bek moet JAM kry man :thumbup: !!!!
97 Hilux Raider D/C With some exstra's
Elands4x4
Ons gaan dieper en bly langer!!!
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Post by Numbnut »

I will definately fit lockers to my SFA one day, when I get her! I'l somme fit Front & Back, WHY??
Well here is m2cw!
With my current wheels only being 2x4, I need rear difflock for the places that I go and the things I do! It
is much better in knowing that the difflock is there when you need it, be it for safe driving, protecting your
vehicle (or ego), protecting the environment or just getting to your destination in one piece! Me personally, I
do alot of sand and dune driving and when we got the Ford a year ago I used the difflock almost 80% of the time
just because I did not know my vehicle and its capabilities that well! Now a year later I hardly ever use my
difflock, maybe 5% of the time! Yes, some say "No I will never fit a moffi locker" and others say "Yes, I will!" for
the same reasons as me! This weekend past I took a friend with his 2x4 2.7i SC Hilux to go and play, I never
once used my difflock while he got stuck twice using his, I even recovered him without my difflock!

SKILL and KNOWLEDGE can take you to the same places as difflocks can, but just because you have it, doesn't
mean you have to use it!! Just because you have a 9mm gun in your safe doesn't mean you just have to go
outside and shoot somebody, but it will help you the day you really need it, to have that peace of mind that you
have it!!!

Just m2cw....!!! :D

Which one will I choose?? Well, I'm no Bill Gates so I'l go for the Toyota Elec Difflock! No use in saying that my
SFA Toyota Hilux made it up that Grade 5 slope using Aussie parts, noooooo, it made it up because it's 100% TOYOTA!!!! :clap: :clap:
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Big D wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:55 pm I think the crawlers Dingo is referring to are the extra low range gears. You can either add another Transfer Case, or you could replace your low range in your transfer case with a lower ratio.
Can anyone advise on where to attain the parts to drop the transfer case LR 2.28 down to a 4.70 ratio? I know Trail-Gear and Marlin make these but rather pricey and overseas... Thought I may pop one in when I replace the clutch in the near future.
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

I think you might want to start a new thread with the appropriate heading - that way you might get a quicker response.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Tim, you could just get another X-fer box from a scrap yard, split it and 'piggy-back' it to your existing one. Been done before .... you would have to cut a hole for the extra stick and not sure what all else but it's doable .... was a thread here some years back where someone did it. Think it was "Riceburner" .....
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”