Kolie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 d4 4x4 D/C

maintanance on mini air compressor

Post by Kolie »

Hi Guys

What is the maintanance to do on these small "4x4 air compressor"(150 psi type that you get from your local spares shop)

The reason for asking this type of question is because of so many of us have to buy another one after a few times you used it.As far as i could search the internet,the maintanance on this stuff is unknown but i know you guys know the answer,so thats why i am asking.I remove mine's top and the sleeve and found a lot of black powder but whith no luberication for the piston so eventually it will give up.What is the best to grease or oil to lube the piston?

Thanx
Kolie Jacobs
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Re: maintanance on mini air compressor

Post by Vlak vark »

Make sure that the magnets is the motor is alinged and glued to the body.
Mine wasn't
One life, one dream, one toyota
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Hi Kolie

Now you got us thinking, is there a type of seal or piston ring on the piston? That will guide in terms of what lubricant to use. Perhaps it may also help to spray a light film of Q20 on the metallic parts just to prevent moisture ingress and hence failure in the future. Jusy my 2c worth. :thumbup:

Regards,
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Kolie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Kolie »

My compressor have a type of plastic washer on the piston(same like you find into a dubble stroke handpump) and this washer is moving up and down creating a lot of high temperature in the sleeve ,so with not much time the compressor will not get any compression to pump any air because you burned out that washer/seal.
I lubed mine with Q20 but with the heat i think the Q20 will break down and again the washer have no lubrication and can be damaged.(or is Q20 heat resistand)I feel we have to use a synthetic oil that will not break down when operate at high temperatures.

What about 2 stroke oil for lubrication?
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Let's wait for someone who may have the know but I hear what you're saying. :thumbup: :shock2:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The black powder you find in there is most likely graphite which is the dry lubricant. These little things don't all have an oil filled crankcase. Even less of them make use of the superior ceramic pistons / sleeves that never wear out. The only suggestion that I can make is to open up after use at regular intervals and manually lube with graphite powder in the bore and a good synthetic oil (not Q20 or 2 stroke oil) on the crank. That should prolong it's life, but I don't think they were built to last and one should look at replacement over time depending on frequency of use. This is why I tend to buy the slightly cheaper ones (around the R400 - R600 mark). Then it's not a big deal to throw it out when it's no longer performing. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Kolie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Kolie »

Hi Mud dog

Yea,the black power definitely comes from the sleeve,the crank have a nice sealed bearing on it so i have not to worry about that but the piston and sleeve,what do you think will the sucess if i use two stroke oil in the intake of the compressor while its in use.

Regards
Kolie
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Two stroke oil gells and becomes sticky over time .... it will defeat it's own objective. Don't use it. Rather use a dry lube like the graphite powder. Also doesn't harm the rubber / plastic of air lines etc. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If it is lubricated with graphite powder I would not oil it as it will become sticky.
However oil might increase the pressure as the seal might seal better.
But then again you do not have a water/oil trap on that compressor, so too much oil might end up inside your tyres.

I have an el chepo Chinese model which I bought from Midas 5 years ago and it is still going strong, never opened it and it nether gave me any problems.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

Het my kompressortjie (nie die plastiek model nie) al 9 jaar sonder probleme. Ek dink die geheim is om hom nie te warm te laat word nie. Laat hom nie nie langer as so 5 minute werk voordat hy eers moet rus nie. :beach:
Kolie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Kolie »

Hi to all

Thanx for all the reply and all the facts i have'nt ever think off.I will look around for some graphite powder to make sure the stuff is nicely moving.
Another friend of mine recommend graphite grease(cv joint grease)aswell so hopefully my compressor will live with me for many years as it is a big NO to pump my ehicle's 4 tyres and a lot of other guys that is with you on a 4x4 adventure because of the rising temperature on the piston.

Greetings
Kolie

Return to “Useful Articles”