Driver competency certificate requirement?

Some useful articles on doing it yourself
Jacques T
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: SFA Hilux

Driver competency certificate requirement?

Post by Jacques T »

After reading the November issue of WegRy, I noticed this new requirement to have a DCC in order to drive certain trails from next year on.
I could only find these articles:
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... p?t=167460
http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=167100

Does anyone know more, or are these baseless allegations made by Safari Center to make money? (as quoted from a post in the second link)

Where would I be able to do such a course in Gauteng, and could Hilux4X4 members perhaps make a group booking and get some discount if this goes ahead?
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Jhb - Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - Kitted for overlanding
Club VHF Licence: HC152

Re: Driver competency certificate requirement?

Post by subok »

Jacques, ek het level 1 en 2 gedoen en ek glo enige verantwoordelike 4x4 eienaar behoort dit te doen. Probeer isibonela.co.za, vra vir Alan Goodway.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

We are working on a plan to make a group booking with an accredited trainer for next year. We will only post details on this once we have finalised the negotiations and a few dates.

But for the time being is that 99% of the guys who are going on about the new PROPOSED law believe that it will be almost all trais and reserves. This is not the case. It is ONLY sensitive areas which will be affected. Think of it this way. Say now the law comes in to play, a trail such as Hennops off-road trail will automatically jump their prices to lets say double the current price due to them needing to comply with the law. That will then be R500 per vehicle. Now how many people will be willing to pay that for the trail, fuel costs and so on as well as their accreditation.

I am sitting back and waiting to see what happens. I see no need to become all sycho about it as MOST of the guys are doing. Everyone want's to be in charge and blame the next.

That being said, I also feel it is an excellent idea to get some sort of training. :thumbup: I just don't like being told "You will get accredited training or else!!!" thus I tend to be against it 100%. Much like the E-toll crap!!!
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

There is much upheaval in the whole NOW/ORCSA and NORS and DCC process at the moment, as some of the individuals who were involved wanted to shape things to their own advantage. Whatever happens, I am sure with the levels of public participation we see now, things can only work out for the better in the end. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Training is always good, whether a legal requirement or not. Will the guys who are busy planning this group-booking in Gauteng please contact me so that I can warn them against some pitfalls in the industry and point out the dodgy characters you must avoid. This is to ensure that my fellow club/forum members get nothing but the best training/service that is available. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

There are TWO reasons people damage trails (and their vehicles):

1) lack of training;

2) "Hou dop en watch die move" ....

The second group have and will always be in our midts .... :(

The first is EASY to overcome, VERY easy :)

I started with a couple of Andrew St Pierre White DVD's.
Andre from Safari 4x4 - some EXCELLENT advise there !!
Then a "training day" where "Shorty" on this forum took out a few newbies ...
Only later was I able to attend a formal 4x4 training day - EXCELLENT !!

The accreditation only followed later (for me). I have no objections to the accreditation. Just wishing for the day we can keep group TWO off trails ..... but thats like asking for honest politicians ... At least I did what I can to protect my vehicle, my family and the environment.

Return to “Useful Articles”