Some useful articles on doing it yourself
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

JohanM's 4Y EFI Conversion

Post by BenHur »

I started with this one last week already, but time was not my friend and my actual job demanded some time from me too (2 days of my leave was cancelled as my boss wanted me back at the office to help out with some issues. It will go to the dyno 2morrow.

Here are some pics I took as I went along.

First I started with fitting the Dicktator and pulling the harness through into the engine bay. I used the same place I used with Bulldog as I feel it works best to router the harness through to the radio console.

I used a hole punch to make a hole in the existing plug so that it can become the grommet for the harness to go through.

I used a piece of wire to pull the harness through into the engine bay.

ECU was fitted in the same place as Bulldog.

The harness is then separated and routed in ribbed sleeving to the appropriate places in the engine bay, i.e. the ignition system and water temp sensor's wiring goes to the right side of the engine bay (left on photo) and the injectors/IAT sensor/ ICV valve goes to the left side of the engine bay and the fuel pump's wiring goes down to the chassis.

4x4 Megaworld Menlyn supplied me with some nice off cut pieces of the blue pipe the normally use with the ARB Air locker, to between the Plenum and the ECU for the map sensor, thanks Louis :wink: I routed that via the same hole in the firewall were the heater cable goes through.

Once the wiring was prepared I removed the carb and started installing a new manifold gasket

The manifold was panelbeated to clear the Intake manifold and I sommer had nuts welded on to secure the heatsink.

Got this nice heat shield from the local Autozone. Much thinner and easier to work with then the stuff we used on Bulldog

2 Be continued...
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: JohanM's 4Y EFI Conversion

Post by Family_Dog »

Brings back happy memories! :)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

I can't wait for the Final Result!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have test driven it on Tuesday evening and was already in love with my truck all over again!!!! :lol: :lol:

Eric, just hearing that it brings back memories, make me smile!!! I know this is the conversion my Hilux was asking me for...........and that has been a long time......... :wink:
Johan Marais
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Johan,

Bennie is at this moment on his way to me now with your Hilux. We conferred, and decided that I should test drive it for 6 months to compare it to Bulldog.

Hope you understand.... :mrgreen:

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Eric,

Its fine as long as you lend me White fang for the time I am sure we will be able to work something out!!! :wink: :mrgreen:

You might be slightly dissapointed seeing that it is not yet as newly restored as yours..... :lol:
Johan Marais
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

To continue from last night.

This heat shield works very well except that the metal inner is razor sharp so I ended up with a few cuts on my hands after wrestling with the beast :wink: . I was sceptical at first when I saw how thin it was, but the guy at Autozone assured me is works well. Well today at the dyno whet the branches were red hot, I could still touch the heat shield for more that a second without burning myself, and after a few seconds when the manifold stopped glowing I could keep my finger on it for almost 5 seconds.

Back to the photos:

Manifold fitted

Injectors fitted

I buy new plugs that fits onto the injectors as the ones we get with the kit we buy is normally shot. The wires are all wrapped in 7mm ribbed sleeve and then taped up to get it water tight. The edges were sealed off with heat shrink. I then run my wiring to the front and out to the side of the engine bay. I feel this is the neatest since you do not have many different wires going in many directions and the loom is mostly out of harm's (and heat's) way.

The gasket between the Plenum and the manifold as well as between the plenum and the throttle I had to make myself as these are not generally available in SA as Toyota never released a 3YE or 4YE engine here

On the other side of the engine bay the wiring for the ignition system. This is the fuse I fitted for the main power to the fuel relay for the fuel pump, injectors etc.

Doing the plumbing for the fuel system is a bit of a challenge making the different diameters fit. The fuel pump's fittings is 12mm in and 6mm out. The steel pipe that was cut coming from the tank is a 6mm pipe.

I connected a 8mm rubber pipe to it, which is clamped down securely. The overlap of the rubber onto the steel is about 5-6 cm and I used 2 clamps just in case as this pipe do not have a collar. The other side was fitted to a 10 mm low pressure filter. From there a 10mm pipe goes to the 12mm inlet of the high pressure pump.

From the pump a 6 mm pipe goes to the 6mm HP filter. I am not sure exactly what filter this is as Johan supplied it, but it came with a bracket already. All I did was to cut the bottom hole off (the bracket had 3 holes in a triangular shape) and then I used a piece of angle iron to make a bracket that fits it onto the cross member.

As with Bulldog I used the bracket that held the original HP filter to the side of the engine (where the mechanical Fuel pump is situated on the 4Y) to fit the HP fuel pump to the side of the chassis. I wrap the pump with a layer of rubber (cut from a bicycle tube) to try and limit the sound a little.

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

As usual my technical advisor's /quality control inspectors were there to keep a close eye to make sure daddy did not make any mess ups. :wink:

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Johan found this very huge radiator hose (approx 58mm ID - 66 OD ) to use to connect up the throttle body (60mm ID) to the existing air pipe (aprox 67 ID) so it all worke out very well. I just had to cut off the excess pipe on the sides, stretch it slightly to fit onto the throttle body and voilà.

I used a 16mm steel pipe that I welded a 5mm collar onto (to keep it from pulling out) to to supply clean air to the ICV. The IAT sensor (Johan found a Camry one as well) is fitted to the inside of the bend just before the throttle body

All fitted in place

Ja ja I know the petrol cable, did not have time to have a new cable made yet.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

The proof is in the pudding :wink:

The dynosheet.

The before run on the carb is is the black and pink lines and the EFI run is the red and blue lines. The significant increase in power is above 3000 RPM. In all fainess with Johan's supped up head and cam in this baby performed better (power wise not economy) with its carb then most 4Y's will do with EFI. But the trade off for the increase in power on top is a loss of torque at the bottom end which will be seen when you want to crawl up those steep inclines using the ICV like Bulldog and Louis van can do so easy. But the significant gains can be seen if one compare the carb with EFI in terms of Air Fuel Ratio. The Carb even though it was a good condition Nikki with all the original vacuum's etc, proper jetting according to the brospeed specs of the head and cam was still over fueling significantly.

The throttle response from idle speed upwards is immediate and so smooth. Even Schalk mentioned afterwards when driving this that this is the best performing and smoothest 4Y he has ever driven and it now holds the record as the most powerfull one that Schalk did too, his previous best I could find scrolling through his dyno sheet archive on Hiluxes (4Y and 22R) was 86 HP on another 4YE with a hot cam/head/branches/freeflow.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Today I did some final rounding off work.

I made 2 brackets, the first one is to mount the ICV on and the second for the accelartor cable. Since the original one was missing and I had to make one in any case I decided to sommer extend it a little bit so that we could mount the existing cable's outer on it. Now we only need a longer inner and we can keep the outer so a new cable would be cheaper this way.

Ja and I know the cable is still connected via a wire, but I promise you sitting in the car you would not notice it from its operation. :twisted:

See the wiring run out of harms way.

Since Johan so kindly donated his old Nikki and fuel pump to the Fix Old Limey foundation, I made this blank plate to cover the hole where the fuel pump normally fits.

Some pics of the distributor

Lastly a view of the complete engine bay.

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Bennie

Your an ARTIST Bru :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D

My hands are shaking so much in anticipation - Dadz Toy's NEXT :D :D :wink:

Rich

Ps......... I've been sat here wondering "why so many hoses" :?

Then I realised, ITS FOR THE AIRCON - sadly my Aircon was "removed by a previous owner's mechanic" :cry: :cry:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Dadz Toy wrote:Bennie

Your an ARTIST Bru :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D

My hands are shaking so much in anticipation - Dadz Toy's NEXT :D :D :wink:

Rich

Ps......... I've been sat here wondering "why so many hoses" :?

Then I realised, ITS FOR THE AIRCON - sadly my Aircon was "removed by a previous owner's mechanic" :cry: :cry:
Rich,

You can say that again to Bennie!!! His workmanship is better that OE in my view....You are going to love your Hilux so much once he is finished with it...

Oh and yes I bought this particular Hilux of mine only because it was a double cab with Aircon in it..... :P :lol:

Bennie and I made a new cable today to replace the once that is standard and to short. I will post at a later stage the pictures, after I have cleaned the engine nicely as we went playing today at Mahem with it to see what it feels like offroad. :lol: :lol:
Johan Marais
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hey Johan!

Congrats on the lung transplant! Looking forward to Bennie getting his hands on mine! I found it interesting that Bennie mentioned your BroSpeed engine was being over fueled by the carb. I too have a brospeed engine, head, cam, manifold ,exhaust and I have the same issue with the Nikki carb, which was re-jetted after the BroSpeed engine was put in.
I thought the problem was resolved when I rebuilt the carb, but it seems this did not correct the problem...

Hey Dadz Toy, like I say to my son 'It's only 1 more sleep' (if you sleep) till the arrival of Bennie Hurter, the Blou Bul EFI guru!

Regards,
Bretton
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Bretton,

Yes the carb was running very rich with bigger than required jets in it, thus overfueling the engine. The conversion is worth it in every way!!!
The EFI Guru is on his way to help you guys down there..... :lol:
You will be able to find a much more controllable drive when the EFI is completed on your and Rich Hilux's.... :lol:
Johan Marais
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

snipes wrote:Hey Johan!

Congrats on the lung transplant! Looking forward to Bennie getting his hands on mine! I found it interesting that Bennie mentioned your BroSpeed engine was being over fueled by the carb. I too have a brospeed engine, head, cam, manifold ,exhaust and I have the same issue with the Nikki carb, which was re-jetted after the BroSpeed engine was put in.
I thought the problem was resolved when I rebuilt the carb, but it seems this did not correct the problem...

Hey Dadz Toy, like I say to my son 'It's only 1 more sleep' (if you sleep) till the arrival of Bennie Hurter, the Blou Bul EFI guru!

Regards,
Bretton
ONLY ONE MORE SLEEP :P

Excitement is reaching Fever Pitch in this house, not much Slaap being had by a very Excited Kid :P :P

(Wills is excited too) :lol:

Rich
SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Club VHF Licence: X108

Post by SideKick »

Hi guys

After months of browsing for info on installing EFI on my 4y, I now came across this one.

This can DEFINATELY be made into a sticky for us "mechanically challenged" people looking for a nice how to!!!
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

And a "Sticky" it now is!

-F_D

Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Wie is BenHur en waar is hy? Die ou het lanklaas ingelog..... Lyk of hy baie kennis dra van Hiluxe.
Sent from my iPhone
SFA lux
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.2 SFA

Post by SFA lux »

Hi manne het onlang vir my n 2.2 hulix gkoop. Hy ht n 32/36 weber carb op , wil hom feul injection mak. Weet ni wst het ek alles nodig n weet ook ni waar om vir parte te begin soek ni. Het ook maar n limit van fondse as julle my sal help sal ek dt waardeur danki
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Talk to Louis at 4x4 Megaworld in Pta. He will be your best bet.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
basirk905
Town: Rawalpindi
Vehicle: Kia Sportage

Post by basirk905 »

Johan, great project and informative. Here I am at this thread after almost a decade. Just wanted to ask about Vacuum sensor.

I did a similar kind of conversion on Kia Sportage 2003 model, just wanted to know that what MAP sensor you mounted please share part number and also would be great if you can share vacuum lines diagram for MAP sensor. I believe this is not a MAF conversion as i can clearly see that you have mounted IAT on Intake hose.

Regards & Thanks.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

No MAF meter, it uses a TPS (throttle position sensor). :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Congratulations!
Great build with step by step pictures and explanations.
You state “But the trade-off for the increase in power on top is a loss of torque at the bottom end” Is that because of the cam shaft profile or some other reason?
Does anyone have experience with individual throttle bodies and if so would it be more efficient? I’m considering that, not right yet though, in the future.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

If you're talking about individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, then I think you're looking for problems .... even if each throttle body is interconnected so that they open exactly the same, the individual TPS units might not give the same values and you will have a massive headache to get them balanced. That's even if it were possible .... where would you get such a manifold that can take individual throttle bodies and then there's the ECU headache, what ECU can accept 4 individual TPS readings?? .... you'd have to use the input from one only. All said and done I don't think you will achieve any improvement in power or fuel efficiency, in fact I think the opposite will be the case. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Hi Mud Dog
The guys do racing use them. Lots of guys convert their cars. Not sure how they set them up though. The 20 valve import motor for the corolla uses them as a standard feature.
I’m sure one of the engineering companies can make up an aluminium manifold, similar to how they make exhaust branches. Not sure on the ECU. Would the Dictator not work?
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

The 4Y works good with the Efi. Power gain is good. (From std Carb to Efi you gain 20%, depends on how old and how many kilos is on the engine) Only worth while to get low down torque is to keep with the std exhaust system. If you want speed you might do 2 things. Branches, 4 to 2 to 1 to get a bit more top end or change your diff ratio's to 5.33.

The 4 y is a donkey to do changes that really give it more power. If you do you overspend and you could have done a whole engine change with plenty a change.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Agreed. If you do EFI, go the standard route and I would use Spitronics rather than Dictator .... more robust with more functionality in respect of parameter settings. :winkx:

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Actually when most of the 4Y was Efi'ed Splitronics was a shlepp to work with. Too many fields, no integration. If you want to use it like this you have to buy this module extra.

When one looked at Dictator it was all there, no extras for a Std Ecu. It meant most Hilux Efi's runs on Dictators than Splitronics. Only later Splitronics came to the party so now it depends on personal choice.

Interesting to know there is now an Aftermarket Ecu that only need initial settings, after its started it "learns" itself to get optimal performance. Price I did not asked. :shock2:

Return to “Useful Articles”