Some useful articles on doing it yourself
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: 1993 4x4 Hilux

3rz Spitronics

Post by Chris Jordaan »

How many sensors are there on the 3rz engine. Which sensors do i need for the Spitronics ecu. What wiring can be used from my 22r and what mods needs to be done.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: 3rz Spitronics

Post by Stef »

The spitronics manual should tell you what it needs and should be supplied with a harness for sensors/injectors/modules

22R wiring should need minimal mods to accommodate eg +12V for the ECU and additional wiring for the fuel pump.
You would have to change the ignition coil to that of the 3RZ or just the ignition module; depends on what Spitronics ECU requires; possibly some mods at the distributor for the pick-up.

And then some mods to the tank to accommodate the fuel pump; 2 options: internal or external pump.

Mods will be very similar to doing an EFi conversion on the 22R; search the forum and read through a few of those, should give you a good indication.
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Chris Jordaan »

Thanks for the input. Doesnt seem like rocket sience. I am from Oudtshoorn and Spitronics factory is just over the mountain in George.
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Chris Jordaan »

I see on these forums that there are just a few single cabs. I should get a bit better fuel consumption on it than the DC wich weighs about 600,kg more
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Chris Jordaan »

Got my 3rz now from Cape Town. there is no wiring on the engine so i hope Spitronics will do the job. i am off to George tomorrow to go see the guys of Spitronics. i also need a few spares to complete the engine.
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Chris Jordaan »

OK installed the engine and the Spitronics system. Wasn't easy as spares is not so easy to get in Oudtshoorn. Seems like everything must be ordered will be here tomorrow. The motor was running very well until it started heating up and blowing out the water. after inspection found that the head was leaking water. Got a new head installed. The guy who did it for e did a great job, also informed me that the cams were a few teeth out. Got my bakkie back and had to change almost all of the settings as it was all completely out. Got it almost right and can't believe how much of a difference it makes. Will take it for a dyno tune next week to be set properly. As it is set now it runs awesome will do 160km/h in no time.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice, Christo. The later model Spits are good units. Keep us posted. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Useful Articles”