UV PROTECTION TO PLASTIC SAND TRACKS

Some useful articles on doing it yourself
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

UV PROTECTION TO PLASTIC SAND TRACKS

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I purchased and installed a set of Iron Man sand tracks to the roof of my camper about six months ago and have noticed that the green colour is fading.I am led to believe that the pvc or plastic material used to produce these tracks is uv protected.

I wish to apply some form of protection to the tracks to stop them from fading and also to make them more uv resistant.
I hope that I never ever have to make use the tracks but should the need arise,the last thing I need is for the tracks to become brittle and crack during use.

What can I apply to the tracks ?I also don't want to apply something sticky which attracts dust.
'
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: UV PROTECTION TO PLASTIC SAND TRACKS

Post by Mud Dog »

Tony, I'm open to correction, but UV actually penetrates below the surface of these materials. UV protection is therefore included at the formulation of uPVC, plastics, urethanes etc. I'm not sure that a topical application is going to help that much.

Perhaps a canvas cover bag might be more effective. Being a simplistic rectangular shape, it's something you guys can make up yourselves. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Useful Articles”