Some useful articles on doing it yourself
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Axle and Diff information

Post by BenHur »

Seeing that we did discuss this ages ago and the questions come up again but the original posts get lost in the volumes on the forum I am starting this as a new sticky.

Import / Toyota Axle:

It was found on 4x4 Hiluxes up to about 92
It does not have a inspection lid on the rear of the pumpkin thus to inspect the diff or crown wheel the complete 3rd member must be removed from the front.
The side shafts are thicker and insert into the diff with 30 splines.
They are generally regarded as stronger.
Locker options include:
-ARB
-Lockrite
-Detroit
-Azzie locker
-Toyota Electric Locker

Local / Gearmax axle:
It is found on South African Hiluxes from about 92/3 up to now.
It does have a inspection lid on the rear of the pumpkin thus the diff or crown wheel can be inspected from the rear without removing the complete 3rd member.
The side shafts are thinner and insert into the diff with 27 splines
They are generally regarded as not as strong as the Import ones.

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: Axle and Diff information

Post by BenHur »

Thi info I copied from a article I did long ago.

In this article, I will discuss the 2 main types of axles in use in 4x4 vehicles today namely solid axles and independent axles. There are also a third type in use called portal axles but this configuration is used seldom, normally only in off-road trucks like the Mercedes Unimog truck, but I will not discuss them as they are not really relevant to the target audience of this article.

In all vehicles, the driving wheels are attached to axles that facilitate power delivery to the wheels. Most vehicles’ axles contain a differential in the centre of the axle to allow the differences in rotational speeds between the left and right wheels to be absorbed or cancelled out. This difference in speeds occur when the vehicle does not move in a straight line and the wheel inside the turn move slower due to a shorter path travelled compared to the outer wheel that travels a longer path.

The Differential is the centre portion of the axle and contains the following components:

The casing that holds all the pieces intact is called the diff carrier (G)

On imported differentials the triangular piece at the bottom of the picture including the diff mechanism (carrier, gears, pinion and bearings) can screw loose separately and this is called the 3rd-member.

The input shaft is called the pinion (A) and the gear at the end is called the pinion gear (B)

The rotation from the prop shaft that is connected to the pinion rotates the pinion gear which in turn drives the ring gear or crown wheel (C)

Attached to the crown wheel is the spider gears or sometimes called planetary gears (D)

The spider gears in turn drive the side gears and this is the heart of the differential system. This setup will allow rotational speed differences to be absorbed or cancelled out by the spider gears. If both wheels rotate at the same speed, then the spider gears stand still and the side gears and crown wheel turn in unison. A differential lock can be installed into the carrier which will lock the side gears and crown wheel together and will cause equal power transfer to both wheels, if one of them were to loose traction.

Read the article on http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm which explains differentials in more detail.

Check out these cool animations which show a differential while the vehicle is driving straight and when it is turning

http://static.howstuffworks.com/flash/differential.swf

The side gears drive the wheels via the side shafts. There are a few diff configurations in use.

The first is a solid rear axle also called a rear beam axle and does not have any rotational joints attached to the side shafts .

The side shaft covers or beams (H), the centre portion, also referred to as the pumpkin, and the wheel hubs (K) are one solid piece.

The next configuration is a solid front axle or front beam axle.

In this case the beams and the pumpkin is still a solid unit but at the ends there are swivel hubs that allows the steering wheels in front of the vehicle to be turned left or right.

In order to facilitate this turning movement in the side shaft while it is rotating, rotational joints (J) are placed at the ends of the side shafts and connects the stub axles to the side shafts. These joints can either be universal joints as used in DANA axles, Birfield joints as used in the Toyota solid front axles or constant velocity (CV) joints as used in most vehicles with independent front or rear suspension

The next configuration is a independent rear axle

In this configuration, the hubs and side shafts move independently from the pumpkin that is fixed to the vehicle, so it remains stationary while the wheels and side shafts move independently.

To be able to achieve this, two rotational joints (normally CV joints) are placed at the ends of the side shaft. The inner CV (I) connects the side shaft to the diff and the Outer CV (J) connects the side shaft to the sub axle.

In this configuration the side shafts are often exposed.

The next configuration is an independent front axle

The independent front axle works just as the independent rear axle, except that it also have swivel hubs at the ends like the solid front axle to facilitate steering of the vehicle.
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brits
Vehicle: Land Rover

Post by jakeslouw »

Thanks, Bennie.

Can you clarify on the which Lux's had which diff ratio and why?

(I understand that the 2.2 had the 4.88:1 diffs, but didn't the 2.8D have 4.1:1 or something?)

I need a SFA with a 4.1:1 ratio, and I don't know if such an animal was sold as standard.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Hmm Dunno the ratios of the different models, someone else might have to help here.

Calling Professor Simon Morris or Professor Blommie who else might know?
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Dankie Bennie, dit was nou baie handig, maar net soos Jakes daar vra, sal ek ook wil weet wat die ratios op die veskillende modelle en import teenoor local.
As ek reg verstaan het jy ook n local diff ne? met n G-max difflock? enige probleme al. tot n mate is ek bly ek die local diff, ek soek n selekteerbare lock, en kani n ARB bekostig vir n import diff nie, maar sien kans vir n Gearmax in n local diff.
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Hilux Diff Ratios 1999 Series

Post by Family_Dog »

According to my brochure on the first IFS models, the following details are provided:

DOUBLE CAB:
2700i LWB 4x4 Raider: 4.556
3000D LWB 4x4 Raider: 4.875
3000D LWB 4x2 raised Body Raider: 4.875
2700i LWB 4x4 SRX: 4.556
2000 LWB 4x2 SR: 4.111

SINGLE CAB 4x4 & 4x2 RAISED BODY:
2700i LWB 4x4 R/B Raider: 4.556
3000D LWB 4x2 R/B Raider: 4.875
2700i LWB 4x4: 4.556
3000D LWB 4x4: 4.556
3000D LWB 4x2 R/B: 4.556

SINGLE CAB 4x2
2000 LWB 4x2: 4.111
2400D LWB 4x2: 4.111
2400D SWB 4x2: 4.111
1800 SWB 4x2: 4.556

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

jakeslouw wrote:Thanks, Bennie.

Can you clarify on the which Lux's had which diff ratio and why?

(I understand that the 2.2 had the 4.88:1 diffs, but didn't the 2.8D have 4.1:1 or something?)

I need a SFA with a 4.1:1 ratio, and I don't know if such an animal was sold as standard.
The 2.2 DC featured in the SA 4x4 Road test of the 1992 Raider (refer the Road Test here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2109 ) stated the final drive as being 4.875:1.

Have no idea about the Diesel models. Has anyone perhaps got more road tests of the older Hilux's that we can include here?

I have posted some info regarding the first IFS series Final drive ratios above

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Jis Bennie nou is ek so happy soos 'n chappy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ek het gaan kyk na die ilistrasie van die diff en vir die eerstekeer in my lewe verstaan ek hoe 'n voortuig se dif werk :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maar wil nog weet hoekom 'n 4x4 se voor en agter diffs nie die selfde is nie :?: of :o: het ek dit mis gelees hier bo :?:

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jakeslouw »

Hey Piesang, ja die diffs issie dieselfde nie, een is voor en een is agter! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nee, eintlik wil ek weet wat jy bedoel met jou vraag: wil jy weet hoekom die Solid Front Axle diff nie soos die agter diff lyk nie?
Of wil jy weet hoekom die Independent Front Suspension diff nie lyk soos die agter diff nie?
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nee ek verstaan dit dalk verkeerd :oops: , maar ek lees gereeld dat julle praat van voor en agter rat verhoudings wat nie die selfde is nie. :think: Wat bedoel julle met dit :?: .

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jakeslouw »

Pieter,

As die voor en agter diff rat verhoudings nie diselfde is nie, dan het of Toyota of die vorige eienaar *a* aangejaag! :o:
Op 'n 4x4 moet die voor- en agter-diffs dieselfde ratverhouding he^, anders is dit logical dat as jy in 4x4 ry met die transfer boks in 4H of 4L, sal die wiele op een diff vinniger draai as die wiele op die ander diff. Dit veroorsaak "drive train wind up": hierdie opwen kan jou dryfaste (propshafts) en diffs beskadig en breek. "Wind up" gebeur ook op standaard voertuie, maar net effens en net in sekere omstandighede, en die "wind up" word ge-normaliseer deur effense "wheel spin".
Ou Land Rover Series voertuie met die dun side-shafts en min splines op die shafts het gereeld side-shafts gebreek a.g.v hierdie opwen van die komponente: LR het toe later groter side-shafts ingesit, en toe ook gegaan vir 'n "centre diff" by die transfer boks wat die opwen tussen voor en agter diffs kon normaliseer. Dis hoekom 1984 en aan Discoverys, Range Rovers en Defenders permanent 4WD kon loop. Dis ook hoekom 'n Defender met voor en agter lockers omtrent onstuitbaar is: die middel diff kan ook gesluit word.

Die wind-up is ook een van die redes hoekom jy NOOIT jou voor hubs moet sluit en 4x4 moet loop op teer paaie nie: niks wheel-spin en ne^rens waar die wind-up kan gaan nie......neuk ten minste jou bande op, en sal jou prop-shafts en diffs beskadig.
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Jakes dankie dis hoe ek ook geredeneer het en nie kon verstaan dat iemand praat van voor en agter verskul nie. Het toe net gereken dal gebruik hul voor 'n kleiner pinon as met minder rattande as agter en dan moet die ander daarby aanpas. Dan sou ek wou weet hoekom dunner voor as agter, maar nou kanseleer dit uit dankie.

blom
Town: Landrovia
Vehicle: xj jeep & SERIES 3 & Isuzu KB 300 Dtec DC

Post by blom »

Net gou ietsie op toy diffs
Die 4.88 soos oubaas eric se is 2.2 en 2.4
Sterk S/S hafts die import diff het ons die pinions se nekke omgedraai(klein pinions wat hom swak maak)
crownweel diameter 8" daarvandaan die bynaam toy8"
Die gearmax toy was nooit 'n opsie (alles breek somme gelyk)
Die ring en pinions kan net met 4.88 verfang word(niks anders pas)

4.56 was en is nog altyd die ultimate om in die hande te kry.
hier het jy die opsie om aftermarket ratios te kry(van die US) jip die cariers verskil van die 4.88

4.1 is moerse skaars en as jy hom kry, soek eers vir die voor as met 'n 4.1 ratio alvorens jy opgewonde raak

die gearmax M77 diff is beter as die toy gearmax diff S/S is effe sterker en die ratios is dieselfde(kom uit 'n isuzu)
Die ultimate vir toy is egter diue nuwe Colt bakkie se agteras Ratio is 4,876 en die crownweel is 9" (lekke sterk)
maar die geheim is in die colt S/Shafts (bosbere) al en al is dit die beste roep (cheap) en hy kom standaar met factory locker
:mrgreen:
Grensvegter van LANDROVIA
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

blom wrote:Net gou ietsie op toy diffs
Die 4.88 soos oubaas eric se is 2.2 en 2.4
Sterk S/S hafts die import diff het ons die pinions se nekke omgedraai(klein pinions wat hom swak maak)
crownweel diameter 8" daarvandaan die bynaam toy8"
Die gearmax toy was nooit 'n opsie (alles breek somme gelyk)
Die ring en pinions kan net met 4.88 verfang word(niks anders pas)

4.56 was en is nog altyd die ultimate om in die hande te kry.
hier het jy die opsie om aftermarket ratios te kry(van die US) jip die cariers verskil van die 4.88

4.1 is hengse skaars en as jy hom kry, soek eers vir die voor as met 'n 4.1 ratio alvorens jy opgewonde raak

die gearmax M77 diff is beter as die toy gearmax diff S/S is effe sterker en die ratios is dieselfde(kom uit 'n isuzu)
Die ultimate vir toy is egter diue nuwe Colt bakkie se agteras Ratio is 4,876 en die crownweel is 9" (lekke sterk)
maar die geheim is in die colt S/Shafts (bosbere) al en al is dit die beste roep (cheap) en hy kom standaar met factory locker
:mrgreen:
My Kz gaan nou omgebou word na 4x4. Sou daar pyne wees met die agterste diff vorentoe, kan ek die Colt se side shafts en/of diff in sit?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
blom
Town: Landrovia
Vehicle: xj jeep & SERIES 3 & Isuzu KB 300 Dtec DC

Post by blom »

T
die colt S/S sal glad nie in die Luxie pas nie
Maak maar net seker die ratios is reg
gaan jy sfa of ifs?
Grensvegter van LANDROVIA
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

blom wrote:T
die colt S/S sal glad nie in die Luxie pas nie
Maak maar net seker die ratios is reg
gaan jy sfa of ifs?
IFS, moet nog elke dag met hom ry ook...
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

'97 22R diff ratios

Post by zepplin »

Can someone please confirm what the standard diff ratios are for this vehicle?

Thanks
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: '97 22R diff ratios

Post by Hoppy »

4.875 or 4.88 as gearmax calls it.

Only the 2.8 diesel had a 4.55 ratio.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

so how does one check the GR on your diff.
is there a marking on the diff somewhere?
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

You should have a local diff in the back, check at the bottom of the left hand side "web" about 10cm behind the propshaft flange is a red & silver plate with all the details.
aev@iburst.co.za
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Thanks Allan. Can you advise if the import diff also had the same ratios>

Steve
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Ratios are the same, import opens from the front, local from the rear.

All front diffs are import.
aev@iburst.co.za
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Thanks.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Sorry, one more question. Are the sideshafts interchangeable from import diff to local diff? Do they have the same number of splines? If not, how many splines on the import & how many on the local?

Steve
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

All sideshafts are different, in size and left to right

Sfa local: 27 Splines

Sfa import: 30 Splines

Ifs local; 29 splines

Ifs import 30 splines
aev@iburst.co.za
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Reason for asking is I have a '97 22R with the local diff minus locker. Am about to buy a set of axles & from the pic it looks as if the rear axle is the import. I have a brand new ARB locker I brought in form Oz which I want to fit to the import diff & then install that into the Lux.
On a business note something you might be able to assist with is the leaf spring mounting (front bracket welded to the chassis)on the rear right seems to have been 'squashed' resulting in the vehicle hanging low at the rear right by about 20mm. Is this a simple fix & can you do it?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Yes you can contact me on 0 7 2 1 2 9 1 1 6 0
aev@iburst.co.za
username
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: Too many

Post by username »

2.4D is 4.875.So you know.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Here is a table I found for decoding all the Toyota axle codes:
Toyota Axle code table 1.JPG
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C
Club VHF Licence: N019

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

Hi al julle slim diff manne

Ek wil graag weet of daar n verskil is tussen die DC/Raider4x4 1998/99 se diff en die van die later 2005/on se diff Ek het gemerk dat die speed sensors op n ander plek sit as met die 1998 model maar die E-locker en die res van die diff lyk op die oog af die selfde

dir rede waarom ek wil weet is omdat ek tans besig is met n totaale drive train replacement na n ongelukkige voorval met n propshaft wat gevaal het en die ratkas sowel as die diff verwoes het "R60 000," later gelukkig dankie vir die insurance hoef ek nie te betaal nie.

ek het net opgemerk dat die ratkas en voor diff van die nuwer generasie hilux 4x4s wel merkbaar verskil in die dat inplaas van offset na regs die nuwer hilux se diff voor offset na links sit en derhalwe die ratkas se transfer-case ook omgekeerd is na links

is daar iemand wat dalk meer inligting kan gee of dit wenslik sal wees om die agter dif van n nuwe gen hilux op n ouer 2.7i raider DC4x4 te gebruik .
123 WEG MP
2011 Hilux Vigo 3.0 D4D D/C
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

Bump

?????????????
123 WEG MP
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Ek dink die man wat jou kan help is Hoppy
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Die as sal pas, maar met die ratio's gaan daar miskien n probleem wees.
aev@iburst.co.za
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

Kan iemand dalk vir my se of daar i verskil is ?
123 WEG MP
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED
Team Dakar
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota 22r 4x4

Re: Hilux Diff Ratios 1999 Series

Post by Team Dakar »

Family_Dog wrote: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:07 am According to my brochure on the first IFS models, the following details are provided:

DOUBLE CAB:
3000D LWB 4x4 Raider: 4.875
3000D LWB 4x2 raised Body Raider: 4.875
2700i LWB 4x4 SRX: 4.556

SINGLE CAB 4x4 & 4x2 RAISED BODY:
2700i LWB 4x4 R/B Raider: 4.556
3000D LWB 4x2 R/B Raider: 4.875
2700i LWB 4x4: 4.556
3000D LWB 4x4: 4.556
3000D LWB 4x2 R/B: 4.556

SINGLE CAB 4x2
2000 LWB 4x2: 4.111
2400D LWB 4x2: 4.111
2400D SWB 4x2: 4.111
1800 SWB 4x2: 4.556

-F_D
Thank you for the info mates. I have a 22R 4x4 with a 4.88 exel ratio. I would love to change the crown to better/better ratio for more speed,less consumption. When the revs are at 3k I must get 140km/h. Or should I put a diesel engine and turbocharge? I've done a petrol to diesel conversion on my isuzu and it flying with very good consumption. Thank gents
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Being a 4x4 you would have to change both diffs, so that would be low on my option list IRO the cost involved. I would rather look at fitting some bigger tyres, which would achieve a similar result. However the 22R is a little under powered to drive 33" tyres adequately and I've found that 31's is a good all round option - even the speedo is more accurate when compared to GPS speeds.

Changing diff ratios or fitting bigger tyres to get more open road legs is all fi8ne and well, but it comes at a price. You're going to be doing a lot more gear changes and using higher revs with city / town driving and the scales tip back in favour of heavier fuel consumption. On the open road at 3000rpm you might be able to get 120kmph (never 140 with that size motor)but you will find it lacking when you want to overtake - it's going to be sluggish. Even headwinds and small up hills will force you down to 4th gear .... there goes your fuel economy.

So perhaps you should be looking at fitting another motor. The Ford WL 2.5 diesel motor is a good option and not too pricey. The Toyota D4D 2.5 or 3.0 are a better option but way more pricey. You have some deliberating to do. Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Useful Articles”