Some useful articles on doing it yourself
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Brake pads

Post by Scooter »

So 4 months and +-10000km after changing the brake pads I am faced with having to change them again.
I am not impressed with the ferodo ceramics I have in. The only real work they have done was towing a trailer with quads to moz in december. They had a chance to bed in properly before hand and I would have expected at least 30K out of them. The discs are fine and the pads are wearing evenly so no problems with pistons etc.

Anyway, now I am prepared to try the Lucas pads that Gemini offer, anyone tried them yet? Any other suggestions?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

When I had to buy pads for the Paj in Feb the guys offered me something else (cant remember the name now but not Lucas) in place of the Ferodo Platinum's I normally use. They did not have stock on the Ferodo's at the time. They said its the same quality at R50 less.

Well after these ones are finished I will go back to the Ferodo's again. The new ones does brake well and does not dirty my rims and the disks seems even but it makes a hell of a noise and is not smooth at below 2 km/h. Being an auto the Paj likes to creep if you do not keep enough pressure on the pedal at robots and then this pads irritate the living daylights out of me.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The lucas pads from gemini are about R150 more than Ferodo ceramics but of course that doesn't make them better pads.
I can't seem to find Ferodo Platinums anywhere but will keep trying.

EDIT: found platinums at a Autozone (no stock) for R380
Guess I will try the lucas for now and hopefully wont get burned while doing so.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Is ATE not another descent brand you could try?
To God be the glory
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

I found ATE better than Ferodo.My opinion.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

ATE is OK if your not a hard braker but the last ATEs I had on a vehicle glaced after about 6000kms and then the disk wears quicker then the pad. If you like to brake hard then Ferodo is the disk to use.

Many years ago I used to buy PBR Metal Master Plus pads for my golf. They were in a class of their own but when the rand started going south in the later part of the 90s they became to expensive and no one imported them any longer. Many racing okes used them as well.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Well I bought and fitted the LUCAS pads. They look decent, even have a anti-squeel pad on the back meaning no need for copper slip (still put some on anyway).

Lets see if they last longer than the +-10000 ks of the ceramics. :?
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Update on Lucas brake pads. They don't last either. 9000kms and in need of replacement. :(

Now to find Ferrodo Plantinums again as I reckon they the only ones that will outlast the softer ones.
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

There seems to be some inconsistency in the compounds. The original OEM pads on my Lux were ATE, I replaced them at 32000Km's they could have done another 7000K's. The aftermarket ATE's bought from the local spares shop were done within 12000km's. The Ferodo Ceramic's currently in the Lux have done about 30000Km's and are about two thirds worn. I have installed about 4 or 5 sets of Ferodo Ceramics in my 4x4's and have always got at least 30000km's.

How about trying these from powerbrake http://www.powerbrake.co.za/prod_pads/pads.htm Don't know what they cost though.

"Hawk LTS - is a Ferro-Carbon pad material that uses similar technology to the HPS material described above. The LTS compound was developed specifically to meet the unique braking requirements of heavy 4x4’s, pick-ups and SUV’s. A very similar material to HPS, the LTS compound has slightly more initial bite and a medium friction co-efficient. Once again this material offers incredible pad life, while being very kind to discs and producing low levels of brake dust. Powerbrake has extensively tested this material in both wet and dry conditions both on and off-road including the hot, sandy desert conditions experienced in many parts of Southern Africa (i.e. Namibia, Botswana, Angola). The Hawk LTS compound requires a fairly firm pedal pressure but offers strong, extremely consistent friction levels over a wide heat range. LTS offers unmatched pad and disc life on heavy 4x4's and SUV's."
Last edited by 3RZ on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Scott, I bought a few months ago new Toyota Pads for my Hilux. I have done over 10000 km's city and highway driving, which included a lot of stopping from high speeds. My previous set also OE toyota lasted for approx 40000' km which is in my view a lot better than most but was quiet pricey.........approx R 600-00 for the set.... :shock:
Johan Marais
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

is it true that the entire hub needs to be removed to change brake pads?
I did a search for change brake pads and there seems to be to topic on this.
I would appreciate some pointers in this regard.

i have done the brakes on my rolla already, but I have yet to do the lux.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

dalkill wrote:is it true that the entire hub needs to be removed to change brake pads?
I did a search for change brake pads and there seems to be to topic on this.
I would appreciate some pointers in this regard.

i have done the brakes on my rolla already, but I have yet to do the lux.
Shaaks, there is no need to remove hubs en ol. The pads are held in by two pins. All you need to do is:

1) Jack up and support lux
2) Remove wheels
3) Remove resevoir cap, because pushing the pistons back will fill the resevoir.
4) Turn steering to one side, the caliper will be accesible
5) Using a screw driver (or special tool) push the pistons back, making sure you use the old pad as a prying point, so as not to damage the pistons
6) Remove the guide pin retaining clip that holds the guide pins in place, and anti rattle spring
7) Remove the guide pins
8.) Remove pads and replace with new. :thumbup:
9) The reversal applies to fitting the new ones.

In other words, it is not difficult at all and is fairly straight forward. if you did the rolla you can do the lux. :thumbup:
brake dismantled.jpg
brake dismantled.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 12801 times
Found a pic of a dismanteled brake caliper. You will see that all that is needed to get the pads out is to remove the "guide pins" and the anti rattle spring, if you have them.
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2002 face lift KZ-TE DC. Mod’s / dual batter - kinda ;) / Active suspension / Intercooler / free flow / ECU Chip / sports flow air filter

Post by Marty »

Hi all,

As part of the upgrades that I would like to do is upgrading the brakes as well. So I contacted powerbrakes and this is what they said. And yes, I did get confirmation in writing that I can post this :)

Fitment can be handled by any qualified technician or competent DIY mechanic.

====

Hi Martin,

Most of your braking is done by the front wheels (up to 80%), so you have to concentrate on the front brakes if you want to improve stopping power. We therefore recommend that you leave the rear brakes as is. Upgrading them to discs also run the risk of upsetting brake balance (since you will be moving brake force to the rear) with negative consequences in terms of stability under hard braking.

I am going to recommend that you fit our All Terrain Series matched Upgrade Kits to your vehicles. The kit consists of a pair of (front) Powerbrake All Terrain Series high-performance slotted discs as well as a set of matched high-performance brake pads that have been extensively tested by us to provide the maximum performance and durability, when used in conjunction with the discs in the kit, on the car in question. The kit will offer strong, quiet, fade-free braking and will give excellent disc and pad life. You can expect around a 25% improvement in brake performance (which is substantial in brake terms), with far better fade resistance during emergency stops or mountain decents as well as improved wet weather braking. This setup will offer substantial improvements whether you are just commuting around town or braking from highway-type speeds on the open road. Off-road brake performance in dusty, wet & muddy terrain will also be substantially improved. Our kits utilize the standard calipers on the vehicle and fitment is as simple as a normal disc and pad change. There are no permanent modifications to the vehicle. I assure you that once you have driven the vehicle with the brake upgrade kit, you will never go back to standard brakes again.

Please see the following links on our website:
All Terrain Kits - http://www.powerbrake.co.za/pages/kits_allterrain.htm
All Terrain Loose Discs - http://www.powerbrake.co.za/pages/discs_allterrain.htm

Pricing:
Powerbrake All Terrain Series Matched Brake Upgrade Kit (front discs & pads) - AT9281149HD @ R2599,20 incl vat. (In stock now).

NOTE - If you would like to go ahead with the order, please let me know and I will send through our standard order confirmation form, including payment options via EFT or credit card. Courier delivery of the full kit to (PTA\JHB) would be an additional R79,80 Incl. Delivery to major coastal centers is R 171,00 incl.

Regards,

Leon Duigan
Powerbrake
T) +27 12 998 0214
F) +27 12 993 1221
sales@powerbrake.co.za
www.powerbrake.co.za

====
One Africa, One Hilux needed :)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I fitted a Powerbrakes kit to Bulldog a couple of years ago, and I'm quite happy with them. I have no issues with Bulldog's brakes. :thumbup:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

chopper

Post by chopper »

Eric,
What does this entail?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

chopper wrote:Eric,
What does this entail?
Replacing discs and pads .... their discs are grooved and ventilated which helps to prevent glazing. Glazing occurs with almost all braking systems to some lesser or larger degree. The less, the better the friction and therefore the better the grip (in a nutshell).

Let me add that I've had excellent service out of my standard kit with ATE pads. The only time I ever had brake issues was when a vacuun leak developed in the brake booster. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Thinus, Mike th Mechanic said it was a fairly straightforward job to fit them, no problems. Must admit I don't do this myself anymore, more's the pity. Can't remember what the labour charge to fit them was, something like R150 I think.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

chopper

Post by chopper »

Thanks Eric
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Family_Dog wrote:Thinus, Mike th Mechanic said it was a fairly straightforward job to fit them, no problems. Must admit I don't do this myself anymore, more's the pity. Can't remember what the labour charge to fit them was, something like R150 I think.

-F_D
Do we hear a melody coming on? :lol:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Vixen
Town: PRETORIA
Vehicle: Toyota 89 / 98 4x4

Post by Vixen »

Does any one know where I can get those ANTI-RATTLE SPRING’S ?
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Hi Vixen
9 out of 10 times Gemini Parts in Kruis street, JHB City Centre will have those clips. Just be aware not to go there btwn 13:00 and 14:00 on Fridays since they're Muslim.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Johan, it would probably be easier for you to get them straight from the stealers.
They anti rattle clips cost about R40 each from the stealers.

I replaced mine but can't say I notice anything different from not having them at all. :wth:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Bolt's front brakes rattled annoyingly when I bought her... especially when driving slow on corrugated surfaces... on inspecting I noted that the anti-rattle clips were missing on one side, bought them from Toyota... fitted them... and the rattle was history!

mr b :thumbup:
Vixen
Town: PRETORIA
Vehicle: Toyota 89 / 98 4x4

Post by Vixen »

Thanks my brakes R driving me nuts.... especially when i am driving slow.. Ill make a turn at the dealers today

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi Eric,

Do you use normal brakepads with the powerbrake discs, or do you now have to use their discs?
Family_Dog wrote:Thinus, Mike th Mechanic said it was a fairly straightforward job to fit them, no problems. Must admit I don't do this myself anymore, more's the pity. Can't remember what the labour charge to fit them was, something like R150 I think.

-F_D
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Jaco,

Powerbrakes supplies the pads & disks as a kit, with the advice that they're specially selected as matched units for best performance. So far I cannot fault them and have had a couple of emergency stops as well. Probably best to stick to what they supply.

-F_D

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Here are some home made anti rattle springs that I found a few years ago on the old site of mods by a guy called John.
Home made anti rattle springs.JPG
Home made anti rattle springs.JPG (14.22 KiB) Viewed 12490 times
Sorry about the quality, thats all I have.
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Good idea actually .... so easy and simple. would work well too, I'm sure. :thumbup:

Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kuruman
Vehicle: 1987 Hilux SFA 4x4

Post by Ou Legend »

Onthou net die callipar se gate raak ook uitgesluit met die jare dan help daai antirattle pins nie veel nie.
The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in moments of comfort and convenience but how he stands at times of controversy and challenges
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux V6

Post by Kykdaar »

Seems no one sells Ferodo Platinums anymore, everyone just wants to sell you the Ceramic's.

Decided to try one of the Powerbrake pads previously referred to elsewhere in the thread. Apparently the Hawk LTS has been discontinued and the Bendix Heavy Duty pads are now used for our purpose - around R650 a set.

Will try them out and report back.

Bendix Heavy Duty – is a premium Semi-Metallic compound that is designed to offer strong performance, excellent durability and good fade resistance for hardworking vehicles that drive in heavy city traffic, carry heavy loads or tow regularly. This compound is ideal for any vehicle that experiences frequent braking under load. The pads feature an insulation layer between the friction material and the backing plate that reduces heat transfer to the caliper and brake fluid under heavy braking. Also featured is a unique titanium layer on the surface of the friction material that raises the friction level during the initial bed-in period for the first 50-100km’s (30-60 miles) after fitment and speeds up the bed-in process. Bendix Heavy Duty is a premium workhorse material that offers strong brake performance over a wide temperature range while often lasting up to twice as long as many original equipment or aftermarket pads.
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

I have used Safeline brakes, and they have provided service now past the 30k mark. They are also cheaper than the ferodo's which I find to be dirty pads.

Return to “Useful Articles”