Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

SEAT BELTS

Post by Family_Dog »

This was posted on the LCCSA Forum:

---

Good afternoon

(1) Generally never buy a seatbelt from a scrap yard, unless you are looking for trouble. A seatbelt is designed to work only once, in an accident situation, and one needs to think about the reason the vehicle is in the scrapyard. Seatbelts also have a lifespan, if my memory serves me correctly, of 5 years (i stand to correction on the number of years)

(2) I can supply new SABS spec'd standard seatbelts ex stock
- inertia seat belt (3m) @ZAR 446.00
- wire cable stalk (0.35m) @ZAR 148.00
Discount : 25 % (still to be deducted)
Vat : exclusive
Delivery : ex works Randburg

http://www.fyre.co.za/liftlash2/Seatbel ... _auto.html
(the site is a bit jumbled as I am currently upgrading)

Best regards
Michael Greeen
SECURETECH / SECURELOAD

---

Michael also manufactures tow straps etc.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: SEAT BELTS

Post by Scooter »

Thanks F_D.

I need to replace the rear web stalks, the seat belts take a lot of jiggling to get them to lock and it makes it difficult for the laatie and Swambo to fasten them properly. So they always end up coming loose.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

Replace my seatbelt each five years :wth:

I can believe than it is not a good idea to get them from a scrapyard (maybe look for a car with a back smash) , but my old Corolla was 25 years old when I sold it last year and I can promise you excepts that the saftey belts did not retract as quick as when new, they still worked 100% when "yanked".

Must say that for the prices Michael Greeen asked I would rather get it from him than from a scrap yard.
:thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

A seatbelt is designed to work only once, in an accident situation
Hmmm .... thanks Eric. I suppose it would depend on how bad the impact is ..... mine have never been stressed that way and are going strong after 19 yrs without any fraying, rot etc. The only deterioration I see is the plastic stalk sleeves are cracked.
Admittedly I don't like seat belts and often leave them off with certain 'safer' driving conditions ... of course they get snapped on in a flash when I see the cops ahead. :mrgreen:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Only problem I see in this argument is that it is not the belt itself that needs replacement after the accident but rather the belt feeding mechanisms with their lock up mechanisms and sometimes the buckles and or catches.

So will you go and buy new belts and replace your existing ones which is still perfectly good or will Spanset make you new buckles and the lock up units for the feeders that is the actual stuff that needs replacement. These units is forms part of the vehicle's Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) so in my opinion the post Eric copied is a cheap marketing trick that is aimed at selling a few sets of belts to the not so technically inclined person out there who will believe anything and fall for cheap tricks thinking he is protecting his loved ones.

Do not get me wrong, I love and use Spanset's recovery stuff like their pull and snatch straps, but if the safety belt systems in my car needs replacement to maintain the SRS into perfect working order' I will buy that from the stealers only. Think about it the belt si not going to snap right of, the only likely part on the belt that might fail is the stiching, which again I think can be restitched rather then replacing the entire belt.

In any modern car, after an accident from front or rear you or where the airbags were deployed, you should insist that the complete safety belt system be replaced as well. But what will typically happen is that you will get the quote to have it replaced as part of the insurance repair but then the job of the insurance's assessor is to cut down costs.

After you left your car at the panel beater with the warm and fussy feeling that he will fix your car to its former glory with new body panels enol as he promised you with his angle face, the assessor will arrive and look where they can save cost. So between him and the panel beater they will identify parts that can be "repaired" or ignored rather then to replace and now they will putty up body panels you thought was going to be replaced, or glue back trim which still looks good on the outside but the normal attachments that used to secure it broke off and if you safety belt system still appears to function normally it will be removed of the repair list, because it will not be their problem if your SRS fails during the vehicles next accident. :evil: :evil:
Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Bennie jy slaan die spyker op sy kop :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ek sal net graag wil weet of die gordels wat hie adverteer word met of sonder die meganiese dele is.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Benni, aren't you glad it's friday. :twisted:

I only need the rear stalks or wahtever they are called. I wouldn't replace my seatbelts unless they stopped working. It is the inertia reel in the mechanism that breaks after an accident AFAIK and then yes it is advisable to replace.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Michael's prices are excellent, considering the discount he is offering. Toyota wanted R2750 per Seatbelt when I queried them just before Christmas last year. Personally, at those prices I would insist on new ones from Michael.

Just remember, the 'tongue & groove' part is not standard for all vehicles, so you might still require to buy a complete seat belt.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I need two new wire stalks for the rear, and I certainly wouldn't buy them from a scrapyard; I value my boys life's too much, I hope he does mail order nê :?:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Guys, if you contact Michael, please mention the Hilux Forum. Let's get him to post his product line and special offers here.

-F_D

lancebregman
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Tata Xenon

Post by lancebregman »

This could be quite disconcerting! Would it then be imperative that one replaces their seatbelt after they have had their vehicle for five or more years? Perhaps maintenance checks are in order then, once a certain number of years has passed?
Proud owner of a Tata Xenon! :)
Tata Bakkie - Single cab, double cab, 4x4 and SUV

Return to “Useful Articles”