Front brake lock-up!!

Some useful articles on doing it yourself
Jay
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 3 KZTE

Front brake lock-up!!

Post by Jay »

I have a 2001 Hilux 3 KZTE with 196000Km’s! The problem I’m experiencing is front brake lock-up at very low speeds – say when you approach a stop street. The brakes just lock up and it comes to a screeching halt. Then it feels like the handbrake is on! Anyone had similar problems? :eh:
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Re: Front brake lock-up!!

Post by legend35 »

Had it on one of my cars.Check for wear on the cullapers,loose parts and check that the pedal release completely after you braked.Did you change any seals on the master silinder?
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Jay
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 3 KZTE

Post by Jay »

Thanks for your response!
I had the calipers off yesterday to check for damaged disks or loose parts. All looks ok! The pads are wearing evenly and there is about 5mm left at the moment. Pedal releases fully. I hav’nt changed any seals.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm not sure about the KTZE, but a lot of vehicles have a bias regulator for brake fluid pressure, which applies less braking to the rear than front. If this is faulty you will also get that problem, either to front or rear, depending on which way the bias is out. Just a thought, although it's not that common an occurrance that they give trouble.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Bulldog used to do this too when he still had the old original (and collapsed) suspension. Required very little pedal pressure to do this as well. After the OME kit, the braking was nowhere like that and we had to modify the BPV regulator by modifying it. Bennie has an article on this Load Pressure Sensor in the "Members Articles" section, refer the small print above the top banner on any page.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

in the "Members Articles" section
Thanks Eric! :x I've just spent the best part of the afternoon going through some of those articles :( .... but found them to be very informative :D :thumbup:

To be truthful, I have'nt yet explored the forum site very much ... did'nt even know about those articles :oops: :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Andy, they are difficult to notice unless you are aware that they are there. The idea is to post useful articles there for all to see to save the information becoming 'lost' in the forum.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Excellent idea Eric, and I will be visiting those articles a lot more still. (As well as pointing a few forum queries there too :D: )

LAwestrand
Town: roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo

Post by LAwestrand »

Good day from LA

The brake master cylinder must be removed, and the pin inside must be ajusted down (clockwise) then the front brakes won't lock up, we had that same problem on a SFA hilux before and that solved his problem.

:thumbup:
chopper

Post by chopper »

Dawie,
Waar's jy vandaan en wat's jou besigheid?
Jy kan my PM
Thanx
LAwestrand
Town: roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo

Post by LAwestrand »

Ek is van LA SPORT Westrand
011-768-1678

Skakel gerus as jy eninge vrae het!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Dawie, baie welkom op die forum, bly om te sien julle manne is ook aan boord!

Stuur groete vir Paul :thumbup:

Return to “Useful Articles”