Some useful articles on doing it yourself
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

OILS/FRONT AND REAR AXLES

Post by hentey »

When my Lux struck the 200k on the speedo the other day I thought it good to spoil her a little by changing all the oils in the gearbox,transfer case,and the 2 axles.So I dived into the owners manual and made the list of oils needed.The 2 axles take different oils :?: :?: Front: 1.6 lit SAE 90 API GL5
Rear : 1.7 lit 85W 140 API GL5
Fine I thought and off to the spares shop.Got all the oils except for the front axle.And that was the nice part.......
According to the manager of the spares shop will the correct oil for the front axle only be available at the stealers.Could this be right,and if so ,why???? We started talking and he told me things(if true)that would blow your mind.Certain oils are manufactured for the distrubution by certain car manufacturers only,and that protects the stealers.Is this not the same as price fixing? And I thought the electrical trade was corrupt.
What do other 2.7 owners do to solve the problem? Buy at the stealers? My ar$e!!!!!!! :thumbdown:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: OILS/FRONT AND REAR AXLES

Post by Mud Dog »

C'mon Bretton! You're the guy with all the oil knowledge! :D: :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

hentey wrote:When my Lux struck the 200k on the speedo the other day I thought it good to spoil her a little by changing all the oils in the gearbox,transfer case,and the 2 axles.So I dived into the owners manual and made the list of oils needed.The 2 axles take different oils :?: :?: Front: 1.6 lit SAE 90 API GL5
Fine I thought and off to the spares shop.Got all the oils except for the front axle.And that was the nice part.......
According to the manager of the spares shop will the correct oil for the front axle only be available at the stealers.Could this be right,and if so ,why???? We started talking and he told me things(if true)that would blow your mind.Certain oils are manufactured for the distrubution by certain car manufacturers only,and that protects the stealers.Is this not the same as price fixing? And I thought the electrical trade was corrupt.
What do other 2.7 owners do to solve the problem? Buy at the stealers? My ar$e!!!!!!! :thumbdown:
Poppy Cock :!:

That's why we call them Stealers

You can use the same Oil in front and rear diffs, transfer case and Manual Gearbox in an SFA Hilux

Total EP SAE 75w-90 Handratkas Olie es Lekker mos :thumbup:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I agree with Rich, I have been running Castrol EPX 80W-90 GL5 in diffs and gearbox. Great oil, no problems.
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Also use Shell Spirax Axle oil 85w - 140
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

So what you guys tell me is that the manufacturers want to confuse uninformed people like me.
This is nogal hard to digest.I trust you people would not lead me into the ditch.Thanx for your replies
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

just a bit of sidetrack question...

does the 2.7 have front axels. I thought that ended with the SFA? :oops:
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

OOOOMS wrote:Also use Shell Spirax Axle oil 85w - 140
Thanx,done that. 8 )
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

dalkill wrote:just a bit of sidetrack question...

does the 2.7 have front axels. I thought that ended with the SFA? :oops:
Dalkill,a little bit technically challenged here but it still has an axle,not solid but still.It's much shorter :oops: (hard to admit for any man) but it's still there. :wink:
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

I recently replaced all the oils i.e: both diffs, gearbox and transfer box in my SFA. I phone around to get prices of oil from the various outlets and when I phoned Toyota they were R28.72 for the gear oil and R23.10 for the diff oil ex VAT. This was a lot cheaper the I could get it from any other outlet. They also had the 75W-90 GL4 gear oil which no other outlet had and that is the oil the SFA needs to use. The diff uses 85W-140 GL5. I was supprised that Toyota was so much cheaper then the other outlets.

Previously I had serviced my truck and in ignorance put in a GL5 oil into the gearbox. I don't remember the grade exactly but it was something like 80W-90. Although I never noticed the difference when I was living in Pietermaritzburg, when I moved to Gauteng and especially in winter there was a big difference. When the vehicle was cold I would battle to select 2nd gear from 1st gear. Sometimes I even had to stop to get it in. This was really only evident when the vehicle was cold. Since I have used the correct oil this problem is gone and I don't have to warm the vehicle up prior to pulling off. I can select 2nd gear no problem.

Proves to me anyway that the correct oil is imprtant. There is an article on the forum about GL4 versus GL5.

Use the correct oil, what does it matter if it is slightly more expensive then everywhere else you only change it every 40000Km anyway. But do yourself a favour and get a price from Toyota first before buying a cheep alternative.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Hi fellow SFA drivers. I am driving a '90 DC Hilux 4Y. After noticing a new whine from my drivetrain I decided it was probably time to replace all the oils as the first step. Not having an owners manual, I turned to this forum for advice, but after reading all I could find on what oils to use, I am more confused than ever. Would one of you fundi's please advice as to what spec oils I should be using in:-
1. Gearbox
2. Transfer Box
3. Front Diff
4. Rear Diff
Thanks in advance
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

Hi Peter,just hang in there....untill Mr B reads this.He is THE guy to help you.He knows oils and in particular the SFA Hilux. :thumbup:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

hentey wrote:When my Lux struck the 200k on the speedo the other day I thought it good to spoil her a little by changing all the oils in the gearbox,transfer case,and the 2 axles.So I dived into the owners manual and made the list of oils needed.The 2 axles take different oils :?: :?: Front: 1.6 lit SAE 90 API GL5
I know this is a old topic but anyhows. I am in the process off replacing my gear box oil with a synthetic oil and I started doing some reading. The main reason for this is on my recent trip to Henties there was a point were i was driving for long periods in the soft sand in 4L second gear and I started to smell the oil.Before I get to the gearbox and transfer case oil i will just mention something I picked up on the diff oil.
According to the manual the front diff take the SAE 90 API GL5. According to the manual if you have the Salisbury type diff where the cover plate is bolted onto the housing you need the 85W 140 API GL5.If you have the Banjo type where the cover is welded to the Diff then you need the same as the front diff SAE 90 API GL5. Mine is not bolted so I can use the the same oil as in the front diff.I am just going to use a standard good oil in the diffs since this should be replaced regular.
Back to the gearbox and Transfer case.At this point in time I am looking at Castrol Bot 130 75w/90 or the more expensive Bot 402 75w/85. I would like to hear from you guys what will be the best for me between these two.My main concern is that when the gears work very hard and it builds up heat that I will get the best lubrication.
Without starting a war what do you guys think of Shell Ultra for the motor

Cheers
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Farmerbrown
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mooi River KZN
Vehicle: 96 SFA D/C 4x4 2.4

Post by Farmerbrown »

Good morning all . Seems a while since this topic has run . I have a 2.4 sfa d/c 4x4 . Just recently got it . Havent ventured much in , I have definitely tested the 4x4 .. Unreal stuff .
I have just changed the engine oil with castrol 20w-50 .Oil that came out looked like black water .. Not great..
I would like to change all the other oils . Diffs , transfer box , gearbox .. Do i still go ahead with 75w-90 . or has something better come along since then . ? And how many litres do i need to cover all the changes ?

Thanks
2.4 1996 SFA D/C
2.5 2015 hardbody 4x4 S/C
2013 Everest 4x2
2.5 2012 AWD Kuga(SOLD)
yz250 2 stroke
tw 200 farm bike
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Malcolm, look at the bottom of this post at the attachment viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8700
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you

Return to “Useful Articles”