What Recovery Equipment do you use.
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

High-lift Jack

Post by Scooter »

Are there any thoughts on where to buy a high lift jack?

The reason I ask is that your Makros and Outdoor Warehouses have jacks that cost +-R700 for 1.2M.
Now that is all very well but Adendorf are selling them for R345 for 1.2M and R425 for 1.52M with a claimed 3ton capacity.
Has anyone bought one from them before? What are the thoughts :?:

Im sure it would be wise to check all linkages, springs and release mechanisms before buying and attempting recovery with it.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilex

Re: High-lift Jack

Post by Zantus »

I'd stick to my old faithfull Hi-Lift genuine item. Mine is now 11 years old and besides the occasional bit of Q20 and good cleaning with the Karcher, it has NEVER let me down.
Mine is still the old type which was painted with red oxide. The newer ones are painted with red paint. I've seen a few of these jam on their first use....usually on a trail, because the owner didn't bother to test it at home. The red oxide paint on mine is slowly dissapearing, but I'll just keep it oiled to prevent rust. I've heard stories of jacks jamming after being home painted, or completely stuffed up after zinc plating.
Barto de Koning
2008 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 Clubcab
4x4 Trail & Overland Guide - GP3442
http://www.4x4tec.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

I bought a original Hi Lift from Macro and have used it twice once in my drive as it is true what Zantus says about the paint and once to free up a stuck Suzuki :mrgreen: and it worked perfectly
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I have got a 1.2m Farm Jack and so far it hasn't let me down. I have used it many a times to self recover the Hilux out of a gat or over a a sharp crest and so far so good, it is the only jack in the Hilux and its kept behind the back seat permanently. I would like to get a genuine 1.5 Hi-lift but it would not fit in the cab and I do not like the hill billy look i.e mounted on the bull bar / rollbar etc :twisted: :twisted:

I got the wheel buddy attachment to use it with the Pajero as it does not have lekker recovery places (too much plastic :( :( )
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

A friend bought one of the red painted jacks, the mechanism is different to my jack, I will take a few pic,s to compare, his jack jams up, maybe it is because he is trying to jack up his 110 Landrover :wink: Actually very dangerous to use.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Ok, so what we are bassically saying is go for gold or go home :mrgreen:
I think I will go take a look at the Adendorfs one just for interest sake and maybe get a few pics to post.
Who knows, maybe it is the same thing with different labelling.

The phrase "penny wise pound foolish" comes to mind and as it's a dangerous object at the best of times. A few extra bucks to make sure all the mechanisms work properly etc might not be a bad thing for someone buying at this stage. :)
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

As I said mine is the farm jack from Adendorfs and it has not failed yet. I even lifted the Pajero a couple of time the last weekend and it was fine.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Sorry Benhur misunderstood.
I spoke with adendorf and they reckon they haven't had any comebacks on them and that it is a chinese import.

I will investigate further. :wink:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Scooter

Eventhough I use their productI do not believe the Adendorf okes would not tell you if the farm jack is shyte, if that is the only thing they stock.

What I am trying to say is, even thought other guys complained about the farm jack calling it dangerous etc. I have been lucky with mine and have not have failures yet. I can also not see why it would be anymore dangerous then a genuine Highlift at double the price. As far as I am concerned any jack of this kind is dangerous especially if not treated with great caution and some common sense.

But it seems that if you want the 1.5meter one you have no choice as you do not seem to get the farm jack or the yellow T-Max jack in longer then 1.2m
SuidWes
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Hi Scooter,

I've also been using a 1.2 Farm Jack without any problems for about a year now. I got mine as a gift from my cousin in Namibia and he's been using his regularly on the farm for over 3 years now....

Sure, this type of jack can be dangerous but I think it has got more to do with how you operate it and less with the brand name :wink:

PS. I've even used mine as a press once - Had to replace lower control arm bushes on a BMW.. :)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

But it seems that if you want the 1.5meter one you have no choice as you do not seem to get the farm jack or the yellow T-Max jack in longer then 1.2m
Benhur
Adendorf have now got a 1,52M farmjack at R425, wether they have stock or not is another story.

Thanks for the opinions, I agree with the mindset that if treated with repsect it shouldn't really matter what brand name you get. I would imagine that they have been tested in some way or another and that adendorfs would not sell them if they knew they were not suitable.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Thanks

I will check it out. Just be warned do not trust the guys at Adendorfs too much for advice etc, as with any other supplier that sells cheap imports the are not known for great after sales service or support. That is not their business. If you want great support go elsewhere and be prepared to pay a premium for that.

These type of business is in for the buck , so know what you buy if you buy from them. I too use then from time to time to buy something, but I research elsewhere first to determine quality, price etc. before buying.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I hear you, thanks. Go check out their site and you will find the jack under garage tools.

http://www.tooltime.co.za
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Scooter I also had a look at them and it seems to me as if it is the same make which you buy at Makro and Adendorfs. I investigated to import those from China and it worked out that they will cost you about R260 each before you paid import duties and shipment fees. If you ad those and you bring in enough at a time you can easily sell them for about R480 and still make a good profit.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Pieter, I agree they all seem to be the same with a badge change.
It's just amazing how say Makro can charge double what Addendorf does for a similar product.

Why did you decide not to bring them in?
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I have to order at least 100 of them. They are heavy and big so transport will be expensive unless I can fill a container with goods. And then I do not have million laying around. SO if I lay out the capital I need it back in my account within 4 to 8 weeks, so I will have to sell all 100 jacks in a month's time. SO at the moment I am looking at something small and light that will sell quick.

You know even Jerry cans will cost me $10.00 each but I have to order 908 as minimum order. They are not heavy but takes up a lot of space.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Are you saying makro now also sells farm jacks? I thought they only sold the origional "Hi-Lift" (brandname) jacks :? :?
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

I have used my Ardendorf 1.2m farm jack extensivly for over 4 years now, and no problems todate. A mate owns 3 and has a combined useage of over 15 years and swears by them.
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I think I must seriously think about getting one of these. There was a discussion on same a while ago on the Community Forum, and I seem to recall several warnings about the farm jack so I never bothered. But it seems everyone here is positive about them. As long as the jack doesn't slip or break my arms, I'm in!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Recovery Equipment”