Power brake

Let us know where we can buy what. Please have a look at the "Template" post before you post something here.
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Tue May 22, 2018 11:22 am

Decided to give the old Hilux a set of new discs ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:thumbup:

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 pm

One of the best upgrades I ever did on my 2006 hilux. It gave a dramatic improvement in braking performance. Although I am told it makes a bigger difference on the older models with the slightly smaller calipers such as mine.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Tue May 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Cost for a set of 2 ?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Tue May 22, 2018 3:52 pm

The discs were R3k for a set delivered to my office the next day.

I’m a bit of a heavy driver , I don’t spare the horses. My original discs lasted 100 000km. I then replaced them with spares shops specials I’m now on my second set and they don’t make it to 50 000km before they develop terrible brake shudder under high speed braking.

I’ll give some feedback once fitted but the perceived quality of the discs are unbelievable , from the packaging down to how clean these discs are out of the box.

I’m sure if I took my Bakkie for a service at Toyota and I asked them to replace the discs and pads the final figure would possibly also be around R4k.

If these lasts up to 100 000km I’m back to what I would have paid for 2sets of spare shops specials . - or that’s my way of justifying the costs :-)

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Tue May 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Ja look, 4K is pricey by comparison to pirate parts or even the OEM ones, but you cannot put a price on safety. So IMO they're still worth it and I want to upgrade both my SFA's starting with the pads .... especially the one running 33's, gotta stand on that pedal. Funny thing is that the brakes are nice and sharp for the first 2 applications after it has stood for a while, so that tells me that the "bite force" of the callipers is adequate - just need to improve on sustained friction at the discs.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1)1989 Toyota Hilux 2.2 4y EFI D/C 4X4 Full Mikem suspension ,extra long range tank,Duel battery system,31 Bridgestone Duelers 697 A\T FJ 75 front disc with KZTE calipers ,Kurisun PT 8100 two way mobile radio Hi-Lux call sign HC 121
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Tue May 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Mud Dog wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:05 pm
Ja look, 4K is pricey by comparison to pirate parts or even the OEM ones, but you cannot put a price on safety. So IMO they're still worth it and I want to upgrade both my SFA's starting with the pads .... especially the one running 33's, gotta stand on that pedal. Funny thing is that the brakes are nice and sharp for the first 2 applications after it has stood for a while, so that tells me that the "bite force" of the callipers is adequate - just need to improve on sustained friction at the discs.
Andy why not upgrade with Land-Cruiser 75 ventilated dics and KZTE Caliper? Was a huge improved for me.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 1)1989 Toyota Hilux 2.2 4y EFI D/C 4X4 Full Mikem suspension ,extra long range tank,Duel battery system,31 Bridgestone Duelers 697 A\T FJ 75 front disc with KZTE calipers ,Kurisun PT 8100 two way mobile radio Hi-Lux call sign HC 121

Tue May 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Photo of brake conversion
Attachments
DSC04328 (Small).JPG

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”

Mud Dog

Tue May 22, 2018 7:36 pm

it's definitely a consideration, Dawie. The problem is finding a set of decently priced callipers.

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Andy Naskar motor spares in Pretoria sells the Land Cruiser 75 dics for R450.00 ad the KZTE calipers for R945.00 each new.

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Tue May 22, 2018 8:47 pm

I fitted a Power Brake conversion kit to Bulldog shortly after purchasing Bulldog, the brakes were an immediate improvemnt and well worth the money spent. It is important to run the brakes in as per PB's instructions.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pieta.swanepoel
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux SRX 2.5D-4D 4x4 SC

Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 am

Herman, did you also replace the brake pads with those from Powerbrake?
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

Mud Dog

Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am

The Legend wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 pm
Andy Naskar motor spares in Pretoria sells the Land Cruiser 75 dics for R450.00 ad the KZTE calipers for R945.00 each new.
Thanks Dawie. That's an incredibly good price, less that 1½K per side! I will have to look around locally to see if any of the after market spare guys can come close, otherwise I will have to ask Naskar to courier to me. :thumbup:

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 87 DC 2.8D

Wed May 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Would it be possible to fit them to the rear axle and go to disks all round?
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies"

Mud Dog

Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Quite a bit of modification to get that right, especially;y if you want a working handbrake, but yes it's possible. You would obviously have to use smaller discs and callipers otherwise the rear will lock up every time. Not worth the hassle and aggravation IMO.

Mars

Thu May 24, 2018 8:24 am

I built a Porsche Spyder Replica and many years later converted all the brakes to disc brakes. Doing the rears did not give the benefit I had hoped. The expense and and work required was definitely not worth the trouble.

Mud Dog

Thu May 24, 2018 12:45 pm

That it's not worth the trouble is my feeling as well Marnus. The only time I think that it may give significant benefit is if you have a permanently heavy load at the rear so as to give the traction whereby the drums no longer have the ability to provide the full braking power without locking the wheels when the LSPV is fully open.

IMO drum brakes that are properly set up and adjusted, are more than adequate and theoretically should be able to provide better braking than discs. I say that because the brake surface area of drums is bigger than that of discs and more significantly, have more leverage because the radius distance to the braking surface is greater than that of drums. Of course this is not the case in reality because the the combined piston surface area in a slave cylinder is greatly less than that of a calliper unit. And of course they're designed that way because the most braking efficiency comes from the front wheels.

So why don't they fit drums to the front that have bigger slaves? Simple .... unsprung weight. Drum units are heavier than disc units and the less unsprung weight, the more comfortable the ride and the more efficient the shocks can be. We also know that most of the ride comfort is determined by the front suspension ..... it's the reason why the SFA's were phased out in favour of the IFS models.

mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Thu May 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi

Fitted a set to my SFA couple years ago ,worked extremely well ,the person at Power brake
said most important part was to read the bedding in instruction ,if that is done properly
brakes will work very well ,i also used their pads

Martin

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Sat May 26, 2018 9:57 pm

pieta.swanepoel wrote:Herman, did you also replace the brake pads with those from Powerbrake?
The cheapest pads the sell are R1700 for the Hilux.

I also ordered a set of pads and discs for my wife’s Mini Cooper so I decided to just get a set of pads from my local Midas that costs a R1k less for my car.

Last edited by Jaws on Sat May 26, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Sat May 26, 2018 10:01 pm

Out with old

In with the new

Actually I’m bit worried that the high speed braking jitter was not as a result of the old disc. The old disc looks pretty good no ridge no grooves nothing.

I’m taking it slow this week so will only know by next week if the new discs are an improvement

muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Sat May 26, 2018 11:29 pm

Looks good. Looking at ordering myself soon as well. Does anyone know if the PB pads are worth the price? There's a pads for 1k76 and pads for 3k. Will definitely get the disc, but undecided on pads. I understand those pads are designed to be used with the discs.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Sun May 27, 2018 9:50 am

You will have to only use the PB pads with their disks, anything else will void the warranty. It is money well spent!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mars

Mon May 28, 2018 9:39 am

muki wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:29 pm
Looks good. Looking at ordering myself soon as well. Does anyone know if the PB pads are worth the price? There's a pads for 1k76 and pads for 3k. Will definitely get the disc, but undecided on pads. I understand those pads are designed to be used with the discs.

The more expensive pads are for extreme use. If you drive normally the cheaper Bendix pads are perfectly adequate. I have been using the "cheaper" Bendix pads with great results.

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 am

The pads supplied by PB for my SO car was Mintex

Image Link Broken

And the brochure for Mintex features the car they went on to :-)

Image Link Broken

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Mon May 28, 2018 10:43 am

It never rains it pours

While fitting the new discs to my Hilux I noticed the left front shock absorber sweating a bit of it's oil :-(

Dropped the car off at Supa Quick this morning for 4 new Monroes Magnums.

My poor wallet is another R4k lighter

It's a bad month financialy as I'm also leaving for vacation in two weeks time ( going to Natal to run the Comrades then staying there for a weeks well deserved relaxation)

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:53 am

Some feedback:

So with 200 000km on the clock the new discs, pads and shocks makes the car feel like new. It's unbelievable. I guess over time I got used to how the car drives. The PB disc are amazing super smooth with zero fade, well worth the money so far.

I'm also extremely pleased the Magnum shocks my only complaint being that I don't like the yellow colour. I did some gravel road driving over the weekend and my wife immediately asked me what changed as it was super smooth over the rough. So a marked difference

Now for the next 100 000km

Mars

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:35 am

Great to hear that you are happy with the fixes.

muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:22 am

Awesome, I received my PB yesterday. Will fit once my current pads are finished. Will just have to speed up that process

Return to “Shopping Index”

• Information